Options

4 Posts

05-22-2020

US

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 10

Yoga C930 battery drains. Product under the warranty but service did not support this.

2020-05-22, 20:41 PM

Hi, 

Would anyone please help me what to do? What is the right to do? and how can I fix this?

1. My laptop is 11 months old when all problems occurred.
  2. I never let the battery drain until 0% for sure.
  3. About a month ago (~14-16 Apr 2020), during working, it went to the hibernate mode which I set to do so if the battery goes down to 15%, but this time it did not go to the hibernate because all files were gone and unsaved.
  4. This is unusual and it does not happen before, so I seek for answers from the internet. One suggested me to check the battery health, and it was found that the full capacity is 61,050 mWh, but the full capacity of my was just 37,XXX mWh.  I ever noticed that the battery gone too fast but never check the battery health before. (Normally, I charge it, use it wirelessly, until the warning pop up, then I recharge it). I never notice because all laptop adverti**bleep**t today claims that the battery is ~7-8 hrs, but this is not true with the real use including the MS surface). The actual battery is just 4-6 hrs.
  5. I contact the service team in the UK (bought the laptop in the US, but currently use in the UK). They said that this is a normal situation, the battery is degrading everyday. But it just less than one year old. This is worse that my old laptop (Toshiba and Surface).
  6. Few days later, during in the sleep mode, I could't turn the computer on. The only way I could do was just long pressing the power button. It happened about 10 times. I was afraid that this could damaged the SSD but I had no choice.
  7. Next symptom, at 100% charged and I put it in the sleep mode for 13 hrs, but I couldn't turn it on until plug in again and found that the battery was 0%.
  8. After realizing about that. Every time after work, I shut down the computer off to prevent the battery drain which I know it is unusual because when I first bought it, it's just 5% battery usage during the sleep mode overnight.
  9. I contacted the support team in the UK so many times, then they gave me the repair ticket. But what I found after receiving the computer back from the service was just....they just format my computer!
  10. More important thing, they gives me the UK plug despite I have sent the email to request to exchange to my own US plug several mails. They didn't reply. Just yesterday and today, there are some automatic reply telling me that ''We have received your email but are unable to locate an active service request with the information provided.'' (email contains our previous chat and the service reference number but I don't know why they said they cannot locate the service). Until now, I haven't received the charger back. I'm not stay in the UK forever, so I need my own charger back.
  11. After they have formatting my computer and a fully charge. No any other software installed except the MS office. A couple days ago I shut down the computer. 24 hr when I turn it on, the battery was just 37% left. ( I first reported this problem on April 16, 2020 and at that time, the battery was reduced from 100% to 96% after fully charged and shut down.) I believe that this is unusual situation but no one believe me.
  12. I bought this computer on May 29th 2019.

To tell you the truth, this is the 3rd laptop in my life and I have never had this problem before despite backing in the previous 15 years, the battery technology was not as good as nowadays. I am really upset about this. I contact service_uk@lenovo.com, customercare@lenovo.com, pop@lenovo.com, alexfu@lenovo.com. I'm trying every email that I think it could reach them. My email has the reference number. No one answer and on one wants to return my charger either.

I have 1Y Depot/Carry-in - Consumer, also 3Y Accidental Damage Protection, but it seems useless.

Anyone please tell me that you have the same problem and this is a normal situation of Lenovo laptop. Then, I will stop asking for help.

Thank you.

eTicket Reference: 8014848755 [Incident: 200416-000571]

Here is my CPU

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz - Success
  • Device Information:
  •  

Display Name:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz

Udi:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz - INTEL (0)

Cpu Model:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz

Cpu Vendor:INTEL

Cpu Cores:4

Cpu Threads:8

Cpu Signature:806EAh

Cpu Current Speed:1.987705 GHz

Cpu Features:MMX, EM64T, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AES, AVX, CLMUL, FMA, PSE, PSE-36, IDA/Turbo boost, HTT, XD, VMX

Cpu Cache L1:4 x 32 KB CPU_DATA_CACHE, 4 x 32 KB CPU_INSTRUCTION_CACHE

Cpu Cache L2:4 x 256 KB CPU_UNIFIED_CACHE

Cpu Cache L3:8 MB CPU_UNIFIED_CACHE

Driver Version:10.0.17763.503

Options

1 Posts

05-23-2020

RU

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Yoga C930 battery drains. Product under the warranty but service did not support this.

2020-05-23, 7:48 AM

the same problem

Options

8 Posts

01-21-2018

RU

15 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 3 of 10

Re:Yoga C930 battery drains. Product under the warranty but service did not support this.

2020-05-23, 13:56 PM

I've got something similar with my Yoga 920. From July, 2019 to December, 2019 battery capacity went from 70 Wh to 15 Wh.

I don't know about your case, but I suspect what's wrong in mine. Maybe you've got the same issue. Every now and then I play games and do some relatively heavy stuff. Ever since summer 2019 I've noticed how CPU temperatures in games, for instance, were beginning to hover around 75C. I didn't pay attention to it because the CPU can handle it (of course now I've cleaned the vents and repasted it all). 

My suspicion is that I've simply fried my battery with exessive heat from the CPU. I mean, it's right next to the motherboard and it's not protected by some sort of shield. It's all packed very tightly in there. I've ordered myself a new battery from Aliexpress, though.

Options

4 Posts

05-22-2020

US

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2020-05-23, 19:58 PM

Hi, Thank you for your reply. Basically, I used it for working with MS Office, Chrome, just normal software. No game at all.

Options

8 Posts

01-21-2018

RU

15 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 5 of 10

2020-05-23, 21:28 PM

@Soosi I've just tried to leave it unplugged and in sleep mode, just to see if this will happen with only battery as power source. Left it like that for 2 hours and yes, when I opened the lid - keyboard backlight is on, but the screen is dark and the notebook isn't responding to power button or any key at all. Only after holding power button for 15 seconds everything rebooted nicely. The only temporary solution I found to this is never going to sleep mode. I just shut it down in the evening. Until I get my new battery from Aliexpress, that is.

So, bad charger is out of question. It happened with battery.

Options

4 Posts

05-22-2020

US

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2020-05-26, 0:37 AM

Seems we have the same situation. So disappointed with Lonovo.

Options

137 Posts

12-08-2019

US

183 Signins

1449 Page Views

• Views: 1449
  • Message 7 of 10

2020-05-26, 5:40 AM
I'm on mobile but real quick, please make sure you all have Connected Stanby enabled in Registry. Googling quick how to enable/disable "CsEnable" (you're going to want to set it to 1 instead of 0) inside registry. Don't have a link but it's very easy to find the tutorial. This is very important to check since a lot of Yoga users don't know that without Connected Standby sleep does not work at all and leaves the Yoga in the state you currently described. Let me know if you need further help there or if that fixes it For the battery drain, make sure to turn off always on USB in Vantage and turn off fast startup in windows 10 power options. Let me know if this helped.
Options

4 Posts

05-22-2020

US

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2020-06-01, 10:06 AM

Hi, 

Thank you for you answer. I am really impressed that you would like to help me quickly.

but as I have checked according to your guidance, it's already set to 1.

Before they formatting my laptop, I also checked and I'm sure that I didn't use the fast startup because someone said this feature may drain the battery.

I set to the normal startup as I sometimes use the laptop outside, so I want it with 100% charged when getting outside.

Today I notice one other thing, which is slow charge, the same problem with this forum:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Tablets/Extremely-Slow-charging-time-battery-draining-too-quick/m-p/732777?page=1#780275

I'm really curious, my laptop is under 3-year warranty and actually this is just the first year. Why did the service team just format my computer?

I just call an agent, explaining the situation, she said, it seems a battery issue and it should be replaced. But....why her colleague did not change  that for me?

Options

60 Posts

11-12-2016

HR

119 Signins

735 Page Views

• Views: 735
  • Message 9 of 10

2020-06-03, 20:11 PM

Similar problem with me... Battery wear is the issue.

First service - battery replaced

Second service - battery, mainbooard and charger replaced

Second service was 2 weeks ago. We will see how it goes.

Tell your local Lenovo team to contact LENOVO TECH TEAM in Slovakia (Bratislava). They are well introduced into this problem. Trust me. I was forcing them and jumping on their heads for the last year.

The shame is that Lenovo does not actually admit the problem.

Options

4 Posts

05-22-2020

US

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2020-06-21, 22:04 PM

Update on 21 Jun 2020

I've got a new charger around the 12th Jun but that's not what I want.

I don't want a new one, I just want my own. 

One technical team called me and asked me to keep waiting for the battery changing service because they are busy at the moment.

I still waiting for the battery replacement, actually they said they will call me again to make an appointment, and want to return the UK charger to them.

Just FYI people who might have the same problem with mine and if you are living in the UK.

I have sent an email to service_uk@lenovo.com, customercare@lenovo.com, pop@lenovo.com, alexfu@lenovo.com

all email address that I could find when I got these problems, no answer at all.

But the charger and calling came after last email that I sent to ellen.birnie@teleperformance.com 

together with an email explaining that they have changed the motherboard when I first sent it to maintenance. Still curious because a note that came with the laptop after the service showing that they have checked everything with the right mark, no any comment, no mention about the motherboard changing.

After the motherboard change, I rarely close the lid in the sleep mode. Still worry about the computer off unintentionally. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete