Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pippin88
Fanfold Paper
Views: 738
Message 1 of 7

Yoga C930 fingerprint reader doesn't work from sleep / hibernate

I have a Yoga C930 (Not a yoga book).

The fingerprint reader will often not work after sleeping or hibernating. This has been a problem from when I got the laptop.

The trackpad, keyboard or power button will always wake up the laptop.
Sometimes the fingerprint reader will work, but often it will do nothing after waking from sleep / hibernate. It seems to happen when it has been a longer period since I have used the laptop, but is not entirely predictable.
If I click on the screen, I get the sign in options - password, fingerprint and pin. Password and pin work fine.
Once I've logged in, the finerprint reader will then work fine for a while. It will wake up the laptop from sleep sometimes, but then unpredictably will stop working.

I've updated the drivers through Vantage.

Happened with different versions of the Synaptics driver:

I have tried unchecking / disabling "Let the computer turn off this device to save power" (Device manager -> Synaptics WBDI - SGX -> Power options), however the system keeps rechecking the box / turning this option back on!

Any help is appreciated.
This is quite annoying, as it changes signing in from a quick painless process into an unpredictable annoying one.
It would be less annoying if Win10 just showed a password field at the same time as allowing fingerprint sign in.

I have enabled sleep to hibernate (after 30 minutes) because I was getting intermittent continuous drain in modern standby. The fingerprint reader problem was present before this change.

JStead
What's DOS?
Views: 662
Message 2 of 7

Re: Yoga C930 fingerprint reader doesn't work from sleep / hibernate

I have the same issue on my C930. Hopefully there is a fix for this somewhere.

sj-monday
Punch Card
Views: 627
Message 3 of 7

Same here! Although for me the issue only presents when waking from hibernate, not sleep. I feel like it's got better over time - maybe 50% down to 20% chance per wake event over the last month or so - although I haven't done any proper measurement. Removing and then re-installing the drivers may have helped.

pippin88
Fanfold Paper
Views: 605
Message 4 of 7

Mine doesn't seem to be hibernate by itself. It's related to how long I think. I suspect a low power state is being turned on after a certain amount of time?

If I hibernate via start menu or power button and wake it back up soon after, the reader works. However If I leave it for hours, the reader will not work on waking it up. After logging in with pin or password, it will work.

pippin88
Fanfold Paper
Views: 604
Message 5 of 7

Hibernate is important for me - I was experiencing unacceptable battery drain in long periods of modern standby. I don't need my emails preloaded whilst my laptop is asleep, my phone can do that. I need my laptop to have battery to use when I actually need it. Setting it to go to hibernate after 30mins sleep has been a good solution for battery life for me.

midiboy
What's DOS?
Views: 365
Message 6 of 7

Yep, same issue here with my newly purchased C930; if it's been asleep for more than an hour or two, the fingerprint reader no longer works. I upgraded to the latest Synaptics driver which did nothing. Unfortunately, Lenovo doesn't seem to care much about this issue since they haven't chimed in. 

Glan
What's DOS?
Views: 258
Message 7 of 7

Yup, same here.  Premium support has been pretty much guessing - and while I'm an IT professional I'll go along because I'm sure they have a troubleshooting tree to follow.  Unfortunately to no avail. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors