Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,177
Message 1 of 4

Yoga C930 or Yoga 730 15"?

Hi, I need some help in choosing the machine. Has anybody used the 4K version of both laptops to share experience?

Anyway, previously I had a Yoga C930 4K but the screen was not responsible to the pen that came with it (now two other users mentioned that their pen failed to charge inside the laptop. could be the same issue). Moreover, when turned into tablet mode, sometimes the touch screen was not responsible to finger inputs and even it did, sometimes it was laggy. Furthermore, there were unreliable connections to projector using usb-c to hdmi adapter. Often projector said no input signals from the laptop. Also, while giving presenttions, probably the laptop went to sleep mode or whatever. I had to unplug the hdmi cable and replug it again to have the conneciton working. Sometimes while doing productivity work that were not cpu demanding (no virus scanning or whatever), I heard some fan noise. I ended up returning it due to all these issues. Have all these issues been resolved?

I bought a X1E but it has QC issues, coil whine and noisy fans at 1% CPU load. Noisy fans drive me crazy as I am very sensitive to noise.

I am considering the Yoga 730 15" or the Yoga C930 4K again. I consider the Yoga 730 15" due to its bigger 4K screen and Nvidia GPU. Does the Nvidia GPU cause noisy fans during normal web browsing, 4K/non-4K youtube video viewing and office productivity? I don't game but I would like to have an option of a GPU in case I use the machine to run applications that can benefit from Nvidia GPU. The 15.4" screen is easy for the eyes even at less scaling. It allows me to see more things than smaller the C930 14" screen. With the builtin HDMI port, I may be able to avoid issues with unreliable connections to projectors. However, it is also heavier than the Yoga C930. Any suggestions? Whichever I choose, I will replace the internal 1TB SSD with a 2TB SSD. It seems that C930 has pen not charging and perhaps also faulty screen issues. As for the 730, it has hindge issue. I don't know if C730 would be better but there is no news about its availability. It may take until July before 4K version of X1 Yoga Gen 4 become available.

Maugha
SCSI Port
Views: 2,117
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga C930 or Yoga 730 15"?

I have 3 Lenovos that I have purchased in the past year:  C930, 730 15" and the 720 15",  Let's just say I'm picky.  

I had the Yoga 900 that I bought the day it came out, but cracked the screen last June.  It's specs are 8th Gen iCore 7700, UHD screen, 512 SSD harddrive and 16 gigs memory.  The fault with the 720 is a teeeny teeeeeny line about 1/8 of an inch at the top of the screen.  It's a great machine, but I really wanted the Icore 8550.  So when the 730 15" came out, I sold my 720 to my ex. 

The 730 15" specs are FHD screen, 8th gen Intel iCore 7 8550, 8 gigs memory and 256 PCIe hardrive.  I used it for six months but my problem was, I am disabled and take my laptop to chemo and it was too heavy for me to manage easily.  I needed a lighter computer.  I ended up giving my 730 to my son, who then added another 16 gigs of memory and the machine just rocks.  

I then purchased the C930 in December.  My configs are UHD, 16gigs, 1TB PCIe NVME M.2 with the 8th Gen iCore™ i7-8550U Processor.  I am keeping this one because, well I LOVE it (no issues at all) and also, it's easy for me to carry.  

That said, I did notice a quality difference between the FHD of the 730 and the UHD of the 720.  However, my son plays games and didn't WANT the UHD whereas his Dad watches a ton of videos and likes the UHD.  As for the 930, I do NOT see this screen being as good as the 720's and I can't figure out why ... it just doesn't 'wow' me.  

Also, the iCore7700 is really fast and there isn't really a difference between it and the 8550.  

IF I were to purchase based on what I know now (without my C930), I would go with the 720 and have recommended it to several friends as it is the best bang for your buck.  The problem is, they may not be selling them anymore.  

So ultimately, I chose the C930 over the 730 but NOT for performance reasons as much as functional reasons (I will admit, the 1TB PCIe processor was too good to be true and I super wanted it).  

If you do opt for the 730, get the UHD if you aren't into gaming.  Only get the 8 gigs which leaves a slot for you to upgrade even up to 32gigs.  OH!!!  I forgot, the 730 comes with the GForge NVIDIA 1050 graphics card.  I'm not a gamer, so...

I don't know if money is a factor, but I spent $800 on the 720, $950 on the 730 and $1680 on my C930.  I think the 730 was the best for the price.  

Hope that helps!

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,107
Message 3 of 4

Thanks. Did you have noisy fan with the 730 15"? It could be upgraded to 32GB? I had the C930 but returned it. Sometimes even I was not doing CPU intensive stuff, I heard fan noise. Of course, not as loud as the X1E.

Maugha
SCSI Port
Views: 2,068
Message 4 of 4

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but we have 2 15" 730's, one with the NVIDIA and one without. Neither one is noisy at all. Right now, my fan is going on my 930 but that's because it is running hot right now.

Also, I found out from these boards that they say 'upgradable from 8 to 16 gigs' BUT that is if THEY upgrade the ram when you order the computer. If you have a slot, it will take as many gigs as you want to purchase. The guy who told me about it upgraded from 8 to 32 using a 24 gig stick...my son chose a 16 stick. So yeah...you can!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors