Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-24-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 5

Yoga C940-14IIL Type 81Q9 Thunderbolt issues

2020-06-24, 23:46 PM

I've tried 2 different hubs with this laptop. One is a Vava VA-UC010 USB C hub, and the other is a CalDigit TS3+ Thunderbolt 3 hub. The Vava hub works fine. The problem is with the CalDigit hub. 

The CalDigit hub has a bunch of ports, but the main ones that I use are the Gigabit Ethernet and the DisplayPort. I use an active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to connect to my monitor. I first noticed that the laptop seemed to run HOT in the area above the F3/F4/F5 keys. I mean hot to the point of burning my fingers. Also, the fan was almost constantly running. Eventually, the laptop made the sound that Windows makes when USB devices are unplugged then plugged in again. Eventually, the Ethernet and video connections dropped and reconnected. I didn't notice this with the Vava hub, so I thought that maybe the problem was with the CalDigit hub. I returned it to Amazon and got another one. The exact same issues started again with the new hub. I had also contacted Lenovo support, and they sent a tech out to replace the motherboard and the board with the fans on it. The problem is still happening! I know that it's not the hub, because I doubt I got 2 bad ones. CalDigit support said that they hadn't heard of this problem.

Doing more research online, I saw that many Lenovo laptops from last year had issues with the Thunderbolt ports that driver updates seemed to fix. I tried Windows update, and it said that I had the latest drivers. I was finally able to find an updated driver for my Thunderbolt Controller (8A17). I figured that I had nothing to lose, so I used it to update mine. Still having the same issue.

Has anyone else had issues with the Thunderbolt ports on their C940?

Options

170 Posts

04-26-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

150 Signins

1035 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 1035
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Yoga C940-14IIL Type 81Q9 Thunderbolt issues

2020-06-25, 6:21 AM

Yes, it's a nightmare.

Yet another in the long list of bugs affecting the C940.

Lenovo support are useless. This machine should have never been released as it's such a buggy mess.

Options

3 Posts

06-24-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 3 of 5

2020-06-25, 22:27 PM

I'm surprised that of all of the various tech/computer site reviews that I read, NONE of them mentioned this issue! The C940 was enthusiastically recommended in all of them. This was my first Lenovo, and will definitely be my last. 

Options

170 Posts

04-26-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

150 Signins

1035 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 1035
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-06-26, 5:21 AM

Problem is they "review" laptops based on spec only. It's only after they are released that all these real world problems are found and by that time all the reviews are out there. Same everywhere.

C940 has so many issues it's not funny, and Lenovo will never fix any of them.

Options

1 Posts

11-17-2020

Italy

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 5 of 5

2020-11-17, 9:27 AM

Hi,

Did you solve the issue somehow. I also have many issues with the external docks. The worst is when I use one with two external screens. Then the LAN will disconnect immediately when I join videoconferences, with whatever app (Teams, Skype, Zoom, ...).

They replaced my motherboard and it's slighly better. Before, it would disconnect even with hubs with a single external monitor only; now just with with the dual external monitor. But it's still very annoying.

Noted that I have tried many hubs, including three from two brands with dual external monitor.

Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms