Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jtron_
What's DOS?
Views: 4,703
Message 1 of 125

Yoga C940 4k - Fan runs constantly

I am on day two of using the Yoga C940 (4k, i7-1065G7, 16GB), and the fan is running almost constantly, even when no applications are running. I can't say that it is running all the time, because it will occasionally stop, but within about 10 seconds, it starts back up. I should also note that when applications are running, we are talking about a single Word instance and maybe Outlook; I am not running any intensive applications like Adobe CC items.

The laptop itself is putting out only slightly warm air. CPU usage is low (~10%).

Any thoughts on why the fan is running so much?

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any guidance (I realize that this model has not been available long, so I hope someone smarter than me has this device and has already figured out the solution).

stinneih
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,573
Message 2 of 125

Re: Yoga C940 4k - Fan runs constantly

Just got mine today. I have this problem too. The fans are running constantly though I'm only doing exactly this: writing this message. 

maximilianpuetz
Punch Card
Views: 4,517
Message 3 of 125

Same here... Also pretty loud don't you think? Strange. What's the experience on fhd devices?

jonim87
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,494
Message 4 of 125

4K model owner here. I've been wondering about this as well. Fans are almost always on and they are pretty loud at least compared to my previous Asus Zenbook. I've been looking into power consumption with HWMonitor and I've seen that if I use only Discord, power consumption is around 1W and the fans usually stay off. As soon as I start Chrome or Edge and open up a few web pages the fans start again. In that case, the power consumption is hovering between 3-7W. It seems like the fans react to this power consumption change rather easily. I've been looking into the CPU temperatures too and with ~1W power consumption the idle temperatures are around 42-44C, but as soon as power consumption rises to 3-7W the temperatures rise to 50-55C. That temperature level might be enough to start the fans. I also tried the Cool and Quiet mode but felt that it didn't make much difference.

maximilianpuetz
Punch Card
Views: 4,479
Message 5 of 125

Do you guys think that can be fixed? Or is it just the device... If yes it's going back.

jonim87
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,470
Message 6 of 125

I've read about similar fan issues earlier on C930 which were fixed by a BIOS update or an update to the WLAN driver, so improvements are possible. But it's really hard to know for sure.

c940NuBee
Paper Tape
Views: 4,364
Message 7 of 125

Alright, I should have been smart and checked this forum first.  I'm only on day #5 of real usage.  I too feel that the fans run too often and too long; they do stop but only shortly.  And yes, internet browsing is essentially all I've been doing.  By no mean am I tech-savvy, but from what I read and watched on YouTube, it sounds like Lenovo opted to use a slightly more powerful version of the CPU that draws a bit more voltage.  This is one of the small annoyances among a few others that I have encountered with this laptop.  Maybe this laptop is too new with too new tech (latest CPU i7 + Iris)?  Hopefully, Lenovo will sort it out?  Here we go again, the fans are pickup up Smiley Sad

Kavinavs
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,318
Message 8 of 125

I've made a post about this exact issue about a month ago, you arent going to get any solutions here. The mods just answer the easy questions and ignore anything that is close to an actual issue.

maximilianpuetz
Punch Card
Views: 4,303
Message 9 of 125

One fix is to turn of intelligent mode of the fan.. this way it runs far less.. Still the fan is pretty loud when it runs.

stinneih
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,235
Message 10 of 125

Does anyone know if this is also a problem on the FHD? I'm thinking of buying this instead (or simply go with an entirely different laptop). I got no help from Lenovo Support to deal with the fan noise. 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors