Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StavE
Not applicable
Views: 14,418
Message 1 of 12

Yoga Pro 2 Overheating Issue

Hello, 

I've had this laptop for a bit over a year, it was always a bit warm after a few minutes of usage, but the last few months its been getting so hot that I can't put my hand over the top part of the keyboard. This is happening regardless of if it's plugged to the charger or not, and happens after just a few minutes of usage. 

Has anyone also had this problem or have a solution for it? 

Any help is appreciated, thanks Smiley Happy  

Shashi_Lenovo
Not applicable
Views: 14,372
Message 2 of 12

Re: Yoga Pro 2 Overheating Issue

Welcome to the Forums Stave! 

CPU is running very hot. Applications like tp fan control can tell you the temperature of the CPU and GPU temps above 80C under load are high, and above 90C suggest that the fan or heatsink could be clogged.

1. If you open up your task manager, do you see any processes that are consuming high percentages of CPU?
  2. Also run virus scan with the latest virus definitions and check for no viruses or malware. 
  3. You should also install a temp monitoring program and post what your temps are.
  4. Enable Active Cooling
  5. The menu option for enabling active cooling varies from notebook to notebook, but in some cases, the option will actually say "active cooling" and in others the option will say "maximum performance" as opposed to "maximum battery life."
  6. Enable all power saving options for the CPU, graphics, wireless card, etc.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Shashi

Tap that Star button below to award a Kudo if I helped.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

StavE
Not applicable
Views: 14,347
Message 3 of 12

Hey,
So I did what you suggested...
1. Task manager doesn't show any high CPU.. chrome sometimes has between 1-0.3% CPU (as i'm not sure whats considered high, but I don't think that's high) and the first on the list is the actual task manager which uses around 1.5%
2. I also did a virus scan and all is clear
3. I installed 'Real Temp' , been letting it run since yesterday, and it says maximum temp is 89 Celsius (min 46)
5. the battery is on 'maximum performance' and most of what i checked was also on power saving mode

Guess this means there is some other problem?
Thanks for the help!
Stav
Shashi_Lenovo
Not applicable
Views: 14,347
Message 4 of 12

You don't seem to have any complicating factors, so my guess is that either the system is not properly throttling back the CPU and/or GPU when they get hot, or that some heatsinks are not properly mounted on their chips.

Also, I'm assuming the laptop is resting on a hard smooth surface, and not on some sort of squishy foam or cloth pad (which impede airflow to the small air inlet slots on the bottom of the machine). I always put my laptops on a hard flat surface, then prop up the rear edge of their base by a quarter-inch or so (using a pencil, marker, or whatever) to improve airflow.

I once experienced this issue until I re-applied the thermal paste using the tiny dot method (also tried different TIM brands but the Noctua NT-H1 works for me).

I would suggest you to visit the nearest authorised Lenovo authorised support for hardware assistance.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Shashi

Tap that Star button below to award a Kudo if I helped.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

StavE
Not applicable
Views: 14,339
Message 5 of 12

Alright, I will try.
Thanks for the help and quick response, appreciate it! Smiley Happy
danmekled
Not applicable
Views: 14,278
Message 6 of 12

What are the chances that I'm experiencing the same thing.  Had my unit for over 2 years and as of the last few months, the machine (yogo pro 2) gets extremely hot.  Its rather apparent that something is causing the machine to run hot even with minor to little activity is taking place.

I have a friend that has Yogo Pro 2 and is complaining of the same thing.  Nobody from Lenovo knows whats going on???  Interesting trend with no clue???

vlnguyen
Not applicable
Views: 14,004
Message 7 of 12

Hi,

I'm also having the same issue with my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. It becomes extremely hot after 10-15 minutes of normal web browsing. I have checked the Task Managers and nothing is demanding high CPU usage. I have a set to Power Saving Mode. Virus scan and malware scan are uptodate.

This is very frustrating as I cannot use it for my work or anything for that matter. It's unbearable to to place the laptop on my lap due to extreme heat and the laptop becomes very slow. I bought this laptop just over one year, so the warranty has expired. I've checked for the nearest Lenovo Support location and it was too far away. I'm very dissappoint in Lenovo. Now, I have a laptop that is mostly unusable.

Is there anything I can do? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Yoga22
Not applicable
Views: 13,713
Message 8 of 12

I was having the same problem with my Yoga 900 laptop.  I called Lenovo support and they said it was a hardware problem and I needed to send it in for repair.  (Luckily, still under warranty).  Bummer, I thought, but they shipped me a prepaid FedEx shipping box.  I sent the laptop in on Monday morning and I got it back today, Thursday.  What, I thought, no way they could have fixed it, but sure enough it's up and running with no overheating problems.

I had to back up all of my files before I sent it in, but they didn't have to touch any of that.  So it came back with my files and apps right where I left them.

Great job by Lenovo support team!

tespenship
Not applicable
Views: 12,691
Message 9 of 12

I bought this same computer in 2015 for graduate school. i didn't start having problems until i installed windows 10. now, it gets so hot that i can't keep it in my lap and the top is now charred where i think there may have been some overheating while i was gone. it isn't safe to keep plugged in and the battery only lasts an hour now. disappointed because i researched this yoga 2 pro i7 computer for 6 months before purchase and now i am going to have to clean it up and sell it. next time i will get microsoft pro.

sad for the $$ i spent.

Birraque
Not applicable
Views: 7,648
Message 10 of 12

If your Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (20266) has Screen Flicker, Shutdown, Sleep, Overheating, Tablet Slow CPU, Yellow Screen, WiFi & BT connection dropping, WiDi (Miracast) fails, Battery Drain Fast and other small issues running with Windows 10. I strongly recommend to read this tested and reliable Setup Guide.
Regards,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors