Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CLR5150
Punch Card
Views: 26,163
Message 1 of 29

Yoga Pro 3 - Wifi dropped connections; refuses to reconnect

First day of owning my Yoga Pro 3. Has anyone experienced intermittent wifi failures?

I've had trouble on both access points that I have at home. One is an older 802.11b router (set to channel 1), and other a D-Link815 dual-band bgn router (with the 2.4Ghz radio set to channel 11). 

I've experienced problems using both routers on either channel and when using the 5Ghz spectrum as well.

Connectivity with either access point lasts from 5 mins to 30+ mins (in limited time I had available to use it so far).

Far more frustrating is that when dropped, the YP3 refuses to reconnect. Manually selecting the access point in the network connections charm and clicking "Connect" results in failed attempts at connecting and system will refuse to connect to any Access Point for a random amount of time. At one point I had attempted to reconnect about 20+ times before it did reconnect.

Obviously, tried rebooting without any change in behavior.

I uninstalled the Broadcom wireless driver (the system the auto-installed a Microsoft driver which, from the version number, appeared to be an older version of the same Broadcom driver as they used a very similar numbering scheme and were very close). No change. I reverted that change.

Are there known issues with these wifi cards/drivers accessing open wifi connections? I live in the middle of no-where, so have had no compelling reason to secure the access points.

What else should I try?

Thanks

JubiLee
Punch Card
Views: 25,974
Message 2 of 29

Re: Yoga Pro 3 - Wifi dropped connections; refuses to reconnect

And so it begins...

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 25,967
Message 3 of 29

What broadcom adapter do you have. I never had issues running broadcom cards but that's on Windows 7. Windows 8.1's aggressive power savings causes WiFi problems on any WiFi card brand.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
CLR5150
Punch Card
Views: 25,892
Message 4 of 29

cbautis2,

The Y3P Hardware Maintenance Manual lists two FRU wifi cards (one Intel, one Broadcom). Based upon the fact that the Broadcom driver is installed on my machine, I'll assume it is the Broadcom card, which I believe is the BCM 4352.

I've made a few tweaks to the Advanced settings on the driver (such as limiting the roaming agressiveness, disabling OS powerdown of the device, etc) and relocated my main wireless AP/router. Some small improvements resulted. The laptop will connect via 5G but refuses to connect in the 2.4Ghz band. I've used WiFiAnalzer and my 5Ghz signal (on channel 42) has a S/N ratio of -50 to -60dbm. My AP signal in the 2.4Ghz band is between -40 and -50dbm. There is no significant interference or overlap from competing routers. When in the same room as the router, the Win8.1 network connection charm is showing signal strength of only zero, 1 or 2 bars.

Is it worth attempting install of BCM4352 drivers from other sources (such as ones I've found on Dell and Asus forums)?

Is it worth opening the case to confirm that the antennae are properly seated/connected?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 25,884
Message 5 of 29

I switch from the dreaded Intel 7260 to the same Broadcom BCM4352 as you but I loaded the ASUS drivers to add 802.11ac VHT mode as well as TurboQAM that's exclusively available on AC1900 routers functionality (Side note: that's the reason the card is named ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac on my sig)  I never had dropped connections on either band. All I change from the advanced properties is to enable "Beamforming" and disable "Minimum Power Consumption". If you still get disconnects, maybe the antennas are not firmly attached, and or it's Windows 8.1 as many people are having WiFi problems REGARDLESS of the WiFi manufacturer! The Broadcom BCM 4352 on Windows 7 IS EXTREMELY FAST AND STABLE!

Capture.JPG

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
CLR5150
Punch Card
Views: 25,845
Message 6 of 29

Could not find Win8.1 drivers for the ASuS AC56 so instead installed the drivers for the ASUS PCE-AC68. These installed just fine, but resulted in no real change in behavior (still can't connect to a 2.4ghz access point).  For now, I'll give the ASUS drivers a little time across different situations and see how it goes (I'll find other APs to try it against).

Thanks for your help.

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 25,828
Message 7 of 29

My WiFi connects fine @ 2.4 GHz only Access Point (netgear wnr2000 v2) 4 rooms away (~ 35 feet and my Linksys router is on the same room as me so I get 866.5 Mbps all the time), giving me fluctuating connection speed from 243 to 300 Mbps. I generally don't use the 2.4 GHz band but I occasionally try it to check for stability. It's working fine but there's too much 2.4 GHz clients in our area so I use 5 GHz for Netflix, Hulu steaming where low latency stability is needed.

Capture.JPG

Definitely try reseating the antenna so you can rule that out. If you still can't connect @ 2.4 GHz, try other 2.4 Ghz access points or it's just that you get a defectve Broadcom 4352 card or it might be even Windows 8.1 drivers itself.

devincite
Paper Tape
Views: 25,528
Message 8 of 29

The antenna not being in the monitor is a huge downfall, I haven't opened mine up yet but from experience if that laptop is in your lap and you have your hands on the keyboard you can completely block the signal.
Unhappy2
What's DOS?
Views: 25,199
Message 9 of 29

We have the same problem and have not been able to resolve it,,,, did this solve it?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 25,195
Message 10 of 29

I think we're going to have to do some logging here to find out what the issues are.

If you can post the following, and whether or not it works, it may help in finding the issue:

Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_43B1&CC_0280

Make: Broadcomm

Driver: 6.35.223.2

Other Info: Lenovo Harmony app removed.

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors