Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jrojasledesma
Paper Tape
Views: 972
Message 1 of 22

Yoga - Trackpad and touchpad stops working

The trackpad and touchpad of my Yoga stops working: the cursor freezes and after a while disappears from screen. Once the cursor is gone it does not appear again, even after a clean reboot. I have tried to enable it via the Control Panel Mouse settings or Input section of “Lenovo Settings” application but had no success.

The problem has happened several times so far, always after the laptop sleeps due to inactivity. The only way I have found so far to bring the trackpad and touchpad back is by going to the BIOS settings and restoring the default configurations (I have never changed the BIOS settings on this PC, so I can’t figure out why this solves momentarily the problem).

Any ideas on why this problem is happening, and how to solve it without messing with the BIOS settings?

This is becoming really annoying, it has happened three times since yesterday (10/23/15). Smiley Frustrated

My BIOS version when this first happened was 1.26 (GQET46WW), my current BIOS version is 1.27 (GQET47WW). My laptop runs Windows 10 Pro (automatically updated from the Windows 8.1 version delivered with the laptop).

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

1/20/16 EDIT: Not a ThinkPad Product

Guru
Views: 921
Message 2 of 22

Re: Yoga - Trackpad and touchpad stops working

Hi jrojasledesma

Can you post the model of you Thinkpad Yoga?

You can try updating the mouse driver of your Thinkpad, but it is important to know the model to see if it has a ELAN, ALPS or Synaptics mouse.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

jrojasledesma
Paper Tape
Views: 916
Message 3 of 22

Dear Martín:

My model is 20C0A030CS, it has a Synaptics mouse. I updated the mouse driver via the "Lenovo Companion" application to the latest version but that didn't solve the problem.

Last time I had the issue, I booted Ubuntu using a USB drive (to discard a Windows misconfiguration), and in fact Ubuntu didn’t show the mouse pointer, so it appears that actually something changed in the BIOS settings that causes this behavior. I can’t figure out how or why, the issue has happened always while I’m running Windows.

Regards

Guru
Views: 900
Message 4 of 22

Hi

Here it is your model support site:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

It seems there is a Trackpoint driver Version 19.0.17.2 for your device.  Try that just in case.

Just in case also check that you are using the lastest BIOS update version.

Try to download the drivers, on my case I don't know why the Lenovo page is looking funky this last two days and does not shows me the download link of some drivers/bios.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

jrojasledesma
Paper Tape
Views: 891
Message 5 of 22

Dear Martín,

Thanks for your suggestion, updating both driver and BIOS was one of the things I first did, and that didn’t solve the problem. My system already has Trackpoint Driver Version 19.0.17.2, and the latest BIOS update, however the problem keeps happening.

Any other ideas?

Best regards

Guru
Views: 887
Message 6 of 22

Hi jrojasledesma.

Sorry, I don't have more ideas.

If you connect an external mouse to the TP Yoga, it does has the same issue as the Trackpad/trackpoint, righ?

If it is not a hardware problem I can only think on more "trial and error" stuff. Are you up for more experimental stuff ?

Maybe you can:

1) Connect an external mouse first

2) Go to Windows "Device Manager"

3) Right click on the Synaptics mouse (Thinkpad Mouse? Thinkpad Ultranav?)

4) Select Uninstall and select on "Delete the Driver for this software" and click "OK".

After that install the Synaptics driver. There is a newer one (19.0.19.1)  (AS IS, not tested by Lenovo) from

http://www.synaptics.com/en/drivers.php

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

jrojasledesma
Paper Tape
Views: 878
Message 7 of 22

Martín,

Last time the issue occurred, I connected an external mouse and it worked fine, as well as the pen, and the touchscreen (so the issue seems to affect only touchpad and trackpad). Uninstalling the device and removing the driver via Device Manager didn’t help.

I will try the new driver when the issue happens again, and post the result.

Thanks again,

Regards.

Ramthecowy
Token Ring
Views: 860
Message 8 of 22

Has the issue cropped up again? Any change?
Have a good day.
baliosian
Paper Tape
Views: 836
Message 9 of 22

Any solution? I am having the exact same problem. 

thanks

J

jrojasledesma
Paper Tape
Views: 832
Message 10 of 22

Dear baliosian,

I found no other solution than resetting bios settings to default. It has been more than a week since the issue last happened to me, although I did nothing special/different that time (like updating/replacing drivers, updating bios, or so).

Regards,

Javier.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors