Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

02-18-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 9

Yoga c930 - BIOS update 8GCN37WW destroyed battery life

2021-02-18, 3:32 AM

I installed this update today with no issue.  Upon restarting, my battery life has been reduced to less than an hour.  I don't see any obvious processes that are to blame.  Can anyone help?

Options

2074 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

226 Signins

10646 Page Views

• Views: 10646
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:Yoga c930 - BIOS update 8GCN37WW destroyed battery life

2021-02-18, 10:04 AM

Hi gameSETmatch,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Is this at 100% or do you have 1 hour left after the BIOS update ?

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

7 Posts

02-18-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2021-02-18, 15:03 PM

Hi Voithos.  I was plugged in when I installed the BIOS (through Lenovo Vantage, btw).  After everything was done and restarted, I showed 100%.  I then unplugged and it lasted close to 30 minutes and then died.  I plugged back in, waited until it indicated 100%, and then unplugged.  Lasted less than an hour.  I was only working in a single window of Chrome, and this was much much shorter than it had been lasting.

Options

7 Posts

02-18-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2021-02-18, 16:26 PM

Here is an image.  This was NOT an issue before the BIOS update.

Options

2074 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

226 Signins

10646 Page Views

• Views: 10646
  • Message 5 of 9

2021-02-19, 11:16 AM

Thank you for providing the details.

Here's some troubleshooting steps you can try to remedy the issue:

Firstly, try to do a few static discharges of the device.

Static Discharge
- Remove all cables attached to the device (ac adapter/power, hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)
- Ensure device is switched OFF
- Hold down power button for 60 seconds
- Re-attach all cables
- Connect the AC Adapter, then let the device charge for about 2 minutes (if it does) then start up as usual.

- If the issue persists, continue to step 1.

Step 1. Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update
- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.
- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.
- Click the "System Icon"
- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"
- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"
**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Step 2. Reinstall Battery drivers
- Press Windows Key + X, select Device Manager
- Now click Batteries in the Device Manager window.
- Next, you should right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall from the context menu.
- Click Uninstall to confirm.
- Restart the device and have Windows install the generic driver type for the battery to be installed.

Step 3. Updating the System Board drivers.
Make sure you have the newest Chipset, Power Management drivers for your device:  
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number for your device and hit enter, might have to hit it twice. Then head to Drivers & Software then the Chipset and Power Management section.

Step 4. Try to recalibrate the battery with One Key Optimizer.

Download the One Key Optimizer from this link and install it.

To calibrate battery in the OneKey Optimizer.
1. Start the application - there should be a light blue icon on the desktop after you installed it.
2. Click on the tab named "Save energy".
3. Underneath "Save energy" there are 3 more tabs. Click on battery saving.
4. Click Calibrate
Now the calibration will start, note that this can take several hours

If nothing seems to help better the battery time, then I'd suggest rolling the BIOS update back to it's previous version and wait until a newer BIOS version comes down the line that might solve this issue.

BIOS Back Flash
- Completely shut down the device.  
- Press the Novo Button :  It is the small reset hole on most devices that you need a unfolded paperclip to reach.
- If you're device does not have a Novo Button, then pressing F1 or F2 repeatedly on startup will take you into the BIOS. 
- In the "Configuration" Tab, set "BIOS Back Flash" to "Enabled"
- Click the "Exit" Tab and click "Save Exiting Changes" or Press "F10"
- PC will Restart and enter the Windows Environment.
- Head over to the Support Page for your device.
- Under Drivers & Software, Manual Update, then BIOS section, you can find the latest BIOS version.  
- Expand the BIOS driver with the down arrow. Right Click then select "Copy Link Address"
- Paste it into the URL section of the browser
- Change the nr of the bios version  (ex: 8HCN36WW  to 8HCN35WW or 8HCN34WW) and hit enter.
- Do this in the URL input section of the browser until you find the previous BIOS version to download.
- Right click the file and select "Run as Administrator"
**Note: You can also attach the file to a USB flash drive, boot from USB through BIOS and then run it that way.
**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing this update.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

2 Posts

02-22-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2021-02-22, 21:18 PM

I also noticed increased battery consumption after updating to this version of the BIOS. Found that the fans run a lot more often after the update which seems to eat an extra 1 to 2 hours of the battery per charge. (I recently replaced my battery so it was upsetting to have a bios update take away battery life so quickly after getting a new battery).

I rolled back to 8HCN35WW and now it's back to the way it was.

Lenovo, please fix this. Not sure what "security" updates were in this update but something increased power consumption...

Options

7 Posts

02-18-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2021-02-22, 21:55 PM

Thanks for the input CJBdude.  Did you roll back to the prior bios using the Bios Backflash method posted by Voithos?  That is the one thing I didn't try.

Options

2 Posts

02-22-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2021-02-22, 22:58 PM

Yes, I did the Bios BackFlash method. Basically just need to get into your Bios and disable that setting.  You can also get into the Bios from Windows Settings, Update & Security, Recovery, Advanced Startup.  It will restart to a menu - choose the option for Advanced Options and that will lead you to UEFI menu (which is your Bios).

Then download and run the older version of the bios update from above.

Oh - make sure you know your BitLocker key. Rolling back did not preserve it and you will be prompted for it after the update is complete.  You can either turn off bit locker before applying the update or login into your windows account, click on devices, then on your laptop. There will be a Bitlocker management section and it will show you your current key.  Print it out, take a picture with your phone, or have a 2nd machine logged into to show you the key (whatever method works for you). It's a lot of digits to enter. 

You can also choose to back the key up from your Windows Settings, Update & Security, Recovery...  (it stores as a text file) After that, it should come up and hopefully your battery life will be better.

Options

7 Posts

02-18-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2021-02-26, 20:57 PM

Thanks for all the tips, much appreciated.  So this issue magically stopped, and I have no idea why.  I'm back to 4+ hours of battery life, and I didn't take any more steps.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms