Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snyper3xs
Paper Tape
Views: 189
Message 1 of 10

Yoga c930 recovering SSD data encrypted with bitlocker

My Lenovo Yoga c930 has stopped working and in the terms and conditions stated by Lenovo warranties says they do not guarentee the data stored on the device. So before I can send the laptop to Lenovo I need to backup the data myself..

So I purchased a NVMe SSD enclouse to read the SSD and copy the files. However it appears the harddrive is encrypted with bitlocker. 
How do I find my bitlocker code? I have totally unaware that bitlock was enpable on the machine nor do I have any idea where to find the key. Its not linked to my Mircosoft account. The machine was purchase brand new. 

How and I supposed to backup my data? Shouldn't data retention be a service the warries covers!?! I'm without a laptop at the moment and important data I need is stored within. Smiley Sad 

rgh0
Punch Card
Views: 143
Message 2 of 10

Re: Yoga c930 recovering SSD data encrypted with bitlocker

If bit locker is set on you computer (and this is the default for lenovo machines for this option  in the C930 it appears) then the access codes should exist in your microsoft account if you have registered the machine online during the intial startup.  

If not you can disable the bitlocker function and remove the encryption once you have logged into the computer locally.  INstructions for doing this can be found online

Many backup programs will back up the bit locked encrypted image of the hard drive but you will need your normal computer login to read those images if trying to restore them from a back up.

cheers

Rohan

Snyper3xs
Paper Tape
Views: 134
Message 3 of 10

So if I can read the encrpyted drive I can back it up? 
I need to create an image of the drive? Then do I load this image to a harddrive that I set into the computer once its working?

Where is the bitlocket key stored? What if the part that stores it is damaged. For instance if I need a new motherboard does that mean I'd lose the bitlocket key and hence all my data.?!?!?!

rgh0
Punch Card
Views: 125
Message 4 of 10

The recovery key is stored on the computer if you are logged into it and can be found and printed for future recovery of a backed up image of the encrypted drive or the drive itself if booting from a recvoery disk / usb key

If the computer has been registered on your microsoft account the recovery key is also saved there and can be used to un-encrypted the orginal or a back up of the drive image in the same way

If you google the topic you will find all the information needed for both these options.

Lenovo and some of the other large manufacturers such as HP have a "special" version of Windows 10 home of some of their more uipmarket computers that has bitlocker enabled and usable by default despite it not normaly being generally available on Windows 10 home computers. This is not clearly communicated by the computer makers or MS thus the confusion

cheers

Rohan

Snyper3xs
Paper Tape
Views: 118
Message 5 of 10

Bro... Thanks for the replies and all that but not sure if you are following. 
As per OP

- The laptop is not linked to my Microsoft account. There is no bitlocker key there.

- The laptop does not work. I need to take it in for warranty service. I cannot turn it on. I cannot use any bitlocker key in the machine.

I have already found out all via google. 

ATM I'm have extracted my Hardrive and put it in an enclosure.
I can connect the enclouse to a machine to access the drive but ofcouse its encrypted with bitlocket.

No key in the microsoft account. Cannot turn on laptop.

I need these files. 

rgh0
Punch Card
Views: 115
Message 6 of 10

Sorry but if you dont have the key to the bitlocked drive recovery key either through a microsoft account or through having recorded it when you had access to the drive then you cannot recover the data .... unless you work for the NSA or similar agency.hahaha !!!

I dont know of any commercially available software or recovery service that can crack a bitlocked drive without the password or recovery key.

regards

Rohan

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 110
Message 7 of 10

Researching this a little, it appears some backup programs can clone the drive using a sector-by-sector approach. This will make an exact copy, but it'll still require the key to access.  Then, you can send the whole shebang in to Lenovo and pray it comes back able to boot with no loss to your data and the cloning was all for naught. I can't speak to whether a mobo swap would require wiping the drive nor if in such case it'd come back using the same key. I'd think not, but I'll keep looking.

Naturally, if it comes back, the first thing to do is register it with your microsoft account or print off the key so you'll have it for the next time. And start backing up your data.

Doc's First Rule of Data: Anything that doesn't exist in at least three places ..doesn't exist. My computers have just the OS and programs on their hard drives. All data - pictures, documents, music, spreadsheets, etc - are kept in a minimum of three places, usually on NAS, at least one thumb drive and in my cloud account. In addition, the computers are backed up and imaged weekly AND File History is turned on and writes to yet another storage device.  Only one laptop keeps File History onboard and that's only because it has a high-capacity SD card slot. It's great peace of mind to know any one of our computers or phones can go sideways and we lose nothing. Just my two cents. 

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Snyper3xs
Paper Tape
Views: 105
Message 8 of 10

Yeah. This is how I understand it.

Life has not given me the luxury of time to organise the cloud storage. This laptop is my backup machine.

It is the backup and a backup of a backup was not yet completed.

I do not remember anything during the out of box experience informing me of this excyrption and the drama it can potentially cause.

From my understanding when you enable bitlocker you are asked to connect a Microsoft Account or they give you the keys. None of which seem to happen when I got this PC.

Can you suggest any particalar image software I can use for this cloning?
However my real problem is where this key is located. If the part is replaced or whatever and the key is lost.

What is fustrating is that I know the laptop will run. The problem is the battery/charge or whatever. The battery drained and will not charged. I had a guy have a look to try get the data off and apparently he could not get it powered up. Plus the fact that somewhere on the laptop is the key stored. I have the drive, I have the laptop with the key yet I cannot get my own fraking data. FFS.

Lenovos repsonse to all this was 'Contact microsoft'. Excellent. Well worth the extended warranty I purchased... 

rgh0
Punch Card
Views: 104
Message 9 of 10

Hi Doc

Yes I back up my encrypted computers using a sector copy approach to image the drive. That is backed up to a NAS and then to the cloud automatically daily with a second encryption when stored on the NAS and in the cloud.  I ensure I have secure access to the de-encryption keys and practice the recovery routinely to ensure it works.  i also do local monthly backups to a portable usb drive as i am paranoid around data loss.

There is two types of people in the world... those that back up their data and those that wish they had

I am not sure Lenovo would be able to de-encrypt any bit locker drive data you send them unless they have recorded the original bit locker key when the computer was first imaged prior to shipment and it has not been changed since ( I always re-encrypt drives on new computers).  But then you never know what access and backdoors they may have given the Chinese laws in this area

cheers

rgh0
Punch Card
Views: 100
Message 10 of 10

You need to get the computer to start with the encrypted drive to enable the drive to be accessed with the password for the computer which I presume you have. Then you access the recovery key or copy the unencrypted data to another drive 

I have not tried it but i dont think you can put the drive in another copmputer and boot on that computer and then use the password to access the drive as the encryption is specific to to the hardware of individual computers also  The password only works on the orginal hardware it was encrypted on. The recovery key will work with the drive in other hardware.  Unfotunately neither microsoft or Lenovo make all these subtle distinction clear. 

cheers

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors