Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kurt9000
Paper Tape
Views: 647
Message 1 of 9

Yoga c930 unable to boot off USB

I have been having issues booting to usb (to install a fresh copy of windows enterprise. But i am unable to get it too boot off the usb( ive used the same usb stick to boot on other computers fine). It justg  ignores the usb stick and continues booting into windows on the ssd. id like to know if others here have had the same issue and what they did ti boot off a usb stick

I used diskpart to create a primary partition in the usb and formatted with ntfs.

In bios. Its set usb boot to enable .And ive turned off secure boot. Please help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 615
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga c930 unable to boot off USB

Hello and welcome,

If you're trying to boot in UEFI mode, your setup isn't correct.  I've never messed with enterprise before but to verify how it is installed (same as 10 non-enterprise) I just pulled down an eval ISO. Use a 64 bit ISO.

Use diskpart to configure your flash drive: select disk, clean, create partition primary, format fs=fat32 quick, assign.  Not NTFS, don't set it active.  Use your favorite archiving tool - the free 7zip or just Windows 10 Explorer - and extract the contents of the ISO to the flash drive.

BIOS can probably be at defaults.  Ssecure boot on or off doesn't matter.  Get to the boot menu (Fn + Power Button IIRC) and select the flash drive directly.  That should do it. Booted just fine on the first Lenovo laptop I tried.

[edit to add] Is this  a Yoga C930 or a Yoga Book C930?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Kurt9000
Paper Tape
Views: 564
Message 3 of 9

thanks yes it can boot off a fat32 formatted usb  drive though the next problem is on a windows 10  ISO  the windows image itself is over 4GB so it is unable to be copied into a FAT32!.  Any ideas on how you would be able to install windows 10 off a USB stick  with lenovo only supporting FAT32 on their BIOS?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 548
Message 4 of 9

@Kurt9000 wrote:

thanks yes it can boot off a fat32 formatted usb  drive though the next problem is on a windows 10  ISO  the windows image itself is over 4GB so it is unable to be copied into a FAT32!.  Any ideas on how you would be able to install windows 10 off a USB stick  with lenovo only supporting FAT32 on their BIOS?

FAT32 booting is a requirement of the UEFI spec.  As I said up-thread, you copy the contents of the Win 10 ISO to the FAT32-formatted flash drive - not the ISO itself.  I do this on an almost daily basis.

Open the ISO in Windows Explorer (WIn 10 supports this in explorer) and copy the contents to the flash drive.  Or open with 7zip or other (un)archiving tool and extract the contents to the drive.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Guru
Views: 474
Message 5 of 9

Purchase a 8GB or more USB pen drive.

If you already have the ISO of Windows 10 Enterprise, the easiest software that has always worked for me is Universal USB Installer. Make sure to format to FAT32.

You can leave UEFI enabled as well as SecureBoot.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Kurt9000
Paper Tape
Views: 462
Message 6 of 9

Hi thanks for your reply.

After some investigation the yoga c930 doesnt have the option for uefi or legacy(like in other yoga series models).  So its uefi.  Now  the next problem is you can only boot off fat32 .. which means using a window10 iso wont work because the install.wim file which  is inside the iso is 4.01gb(on its own) in size so you cant put it on a fat32 partition. It appears the only way to put window10 on a yoga c930(via usb stick) is by using the rufus software which creates a fat partition with the driver to read ntfs and the rest of the usb stick is an ntfs partition which you can extract the iso to.  

Ooft what an effort.

Thanks to all who replied and gave information which helped me in my research to find a solution.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 449
Message 7 of 9

Well shoot, one learns something new every day...

I have never run into the file size issue in many installs.  The ISO of Enterprise that I pulled down from MS the other day has an install.wim that fits in a FAT32-formatted flash drive.  Dumb luck, I guess.

It looks like there are MS ways to get around this - one presumably like the Rufus technique you mention:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe--use-a-single-usb-key-fo...

Haven't tried it. Thankfully, it hasn't been necessary - so far...

[edit to add] Rereading that MS article, they talk about customized images having install.wim files that are too large.  Perhaps not in reference to enterprise though... What specific ISO are you using?  Modified in any way, or is this generally an issue with enterprise?

It seems odd (or typical, maybe...) that MS would provide an ISO that can't be installed in the normal configuration and use case.

[edit to add more...] I see some conversation on the interwebs that using the MS media creation tool will create a compressed install file that will fit.  Again, untested be yours truly.

https://kevinstreet.co.uk/2018/10/04/download-window-10-enterprise-1809-with-the-media-creation-tool...

Z.

JohnVH
Paper Tape
Views: 399
Message 8 of 9

Not sure if youve solved this yet.

MS puts mutiple OS versions in some of their install media.  You can use dism.exe to extract one of the images from install.wim.  Use dism /get-wiminfo to list the images inside install wim.  choose the one you want ( perhaps index 5) .  then use dism 

/export-image to make a wim with just the one you want.  rename the new (sub 4 gig) wim to the sources folder on your usb key makinf sure to name it install.wim

i did this today with 1809 enterprise.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 391
Message 9 of 9

@JohnVH wrote:

Not sure if youve solved this yet.

MS puts mutiple OS versions in some of their install media.  You can use dism.exe to extract one of the images from install.wim.  Use dism /get-wiminfo to list the images inside install wim.  choose the one you want ( perhaps index 5) .  then use dism 

/export-image to make a wim with just the one you want.  rename the new (sub 4 gig) wim to the sources folder on your usb key makinf sure to name it install.wim

i did this today with 1809 enterprise.

Good suggestion. And good point.

I don't think the OP ever answered the question as to which specific ISO was in use.  I'm wondering if there were single-image download options that could have avoided the issue in the first place.

Z.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors