Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
typek
Paper Tape
Views: 155
Message 1 of 4

Yoga c940-14 UHD stutter/lag while watching netflix in 4k

The problem happens only on netflix, 4k videos on sites such as youtube and vimeo work just fine. I have tested it using Edge as well as the win10 app. Since Internet Explorer caps at 1080p the videos load very smoothly there.

It shouldn't be a problem with my internet connection, since netflix requires 25 Mbps to watch in uhd, and my connection speed, chekced using their own measuring tool (fast.com), ranges from 400 to 1000 Mbps. I have also tried both using an ethrenet cable, and using the internet at my friend's house and the stutters were still there.

Other things I've tried:

- Update drivers through lenovo vantage, download windows actualizations

- Update GPU drivers manually

- downlod HEVC video codec from microsoft store

- factory reset function in win10

- using google's DNS 

OrangeJ
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 118
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga c940-14 UHD stutter/lag while watching netflix in 4k

Have you tried it in Chrome or Firefox?

You have a 10th Gen U-series CPU which is faster than the Y-series but not as powerful as a H-series. So your i7-1065G7 benchmarks less than a 9th Gen i7-9750H. You also don't have a dedicated GPU to accelerate video decoding, but saying that, it still should play Netflix 4K I would think.

Have you tried watching a performance monitor like Task Manager while a 4K video is playing on YouTube and Netflix? (not at the same time). Does either one show that it's maxing out the CPU or Memory? It will show network bandwidith too so you can check thow much is coming through.

There's also the 'stats for nerds' overlays to check and adjust more info

https://qz.com/261426/the-hidden-commands-for-diagnosing-and-improving-your-netflix-streaming-qualit...
liopag2
SCSI Port
Views: 102
Message 3 of 4

I noticed this too when in battery saver mode. Try pressing to Fn + Q to intelligent cooling or high performance and see how it does. It fixes the issue for me most of the time.
typek
Paper Tape
Views: 83
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the replies.

Firefox and chrome can stream netflix in max 720p and they run smooth. 

Changing the cooling/battery modes didn't help unfortunately.

I took some screenshots of the task manager (sorry, they're in polish but it's easy to work out what is what, pamięć means memory) while watching youtube and netflix as you suggested. Turns out the netflix app (it's the same on Edge) uses much more memory, though even then there are still 2GB left so shouldn't it still run fine?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors