Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgdossey
Paper Tape
Views: 7,135
Message 1 of 11

Yoga - many issues

I am going on 3 weeks with this Lenovo Yoga.  I have to say that I want to love this device but way too many issues have cropped up.  The Hard drive partitons (which I fixed).  The trackpad issues with office which I have attempted to fix by some online suggestions and trying the latest driver update.  All had issues, went back to the orignal shipping driver...at least it only has issues with office at least for me.  Then the screen flickering is driving me nuts.  I have disabled power saving in the intel power saving settings and it helped, but I still see some mild flickering on desktop vs. tile mode here and there.  Then I have had an issue with it installing windows updates which I am currently in the process of fixing.  I feel like I am spending more time trying to iron out problems than I am enjoying this device.  Sorry if I sound like I am on a rant, but I am just wondering if I am the only one.  Do I have a lemon ?  I think I am just down to the screen flickering which as done it numerous times while typing this.  It is like a battery saving / dimming issue.  Doesn't matter if I am on battery or plugged in for this screen dimming issue.

panelpe
Paper Tape
Views: 7,061
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga - many issues

you are definitely not the only one experiencing problems.  i am a long time mac user and when it was time to get another laptop i was hesitant to go with a windows based system but was intrigued by the yoga.  seemed to blend a tablet and laptop perfectly while still having the ability to run office unlike many of the dedicated tablets.  when it is working correctly i love the yoga however ive spent more time troubleshooting, for all of the same problems you outlined and more, than i have over the past 5 years on all prior laptops combined.  prior to the yoga i didnt know tech forums like this existed but so far i am more impressed the lenovo's support forums than i am the the computer i spent a grand on.  i am not even writing this on the yoga as the wifi is again giving me problems. i'm coming up on my 30 day return window and will likely be exchanging this

ziprun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,040
Message 3 of 11

like you, and most likely many others that aren't coming here anymore, I've come to the decision to return the Yoga.  The concept is great but way too many bugs at this point and i don't really see any effort to resolve these issues other than what we as users have been doing.  So, goodnight and goodbye folks.

ajanckila
What's DOS?
Views: 6,441
Message 4 of 11

no you are right, it has a mind of its own.

when running smooth, great half the time feels buggy.

Taking it back.
Farzadik
Paper Tape
Views: 6,296
Message 5 of 11

hi
I do the same sending it back will look for another brand. It will be my last Lenovo crap!
dumbth
SCSI Port
Views: 6,278
Message 6 of 11

My new second lenovo works just fine. My first one had many maladjustments of windows and such that required finding weird settings to tame down. This one took no adjustments or tracking down of drivers (except for a wifi setting after windows update), so lenovo must have corrected something. Neither yoga had hardware issues besides the first one eventually dying. There is much less complaints here as with the earlier releases, so hopefully i wont repeat the failure of my first one and this is the fixed generation.
MarSan
What's DOS?
Views: 4,029
Message 7 of 11

I am experiencing the same issues too. The basic functions don't even work like closing a window or opening any of the icons on the tablet. Most of the time the basic functionalities do not respond  and I have to reboot every now and then. I have Windows Pro, i7 processor and 8GB of RAM which should be more than sufficient to run any of the pre-loaded apps but can't even open them.

I have an Apple  Mac Pro and this laptop is way superior than the YOGAs. Never had issue with Mac Pro and I really regret purchasing the YOGAs. I just had it for about three weeks now and suffice to say I am at this moment re-installing the WIndows 8 to re-set the whole thing. Yes re-installing the Windows!!! If the issues persist after re-installing I will definitely return it. It's a piece of JUNK and just like you I spent more time troubleshooting and highly frustarted.

thatandyt
Punch Card
Views: 4,005
Message 8 of 11

I''m hoping that the big delay in availability in the UK is due to them ironing out the issues and therefore when they're back in stock, they will be part of the new refreshed batch.

artworksmetal
Serial Port
Views: 3,992
Message 9 of 11

I've had mine 3 days and the only issues I'm facing (mostly) are related to figuring out(and learning to stop hating) Windows 8, and tweaking it to my liking.

I'm still trying to figure out what all the bloatware is. Motion Control looks like it might be useful, but couldn't get it to work with Kindle Reader. Transitions appears to not have a way to add additional programs to it. So they look like Beta apps at best.

I did manage on day 1 to delete or change something that completely disabled my physical keyboard, requiring a factory reset.

The virtual keyboard is junk (I'm gonna start a thread on that).

But I bought this for it's hi-res screen to aid my aging eyes. And to be both a laptop and tablet while I wander Europe for the next 3 months. I think it's going to do quite well in that regard.  I played a few minutes of a nature film last night, and the video was stunning.

"I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself." - Oscar Wilde
Dee_75
Paper Tape
Views: 3,957
Message 10 of 11

I went to Best Buy to get the Yoga 2 Pro but bought the Yoga 11s because I wanted something smaller and didn't care about the screen resolution all that much.

I just packed it up to return it. I haven't had any issues to speak of except for what looks like heat damage on the lid from where it comes in contact with the feet in tablet mode.

When I read that others had similar problems with apparent heat damage, and smudges that couldn't be cleaned, that was it for me. I take care of my things, and having it start to look damaged after less than 3 weeks is simply unacceptable.

I'm going to watch and wait. I absolutely love the form factor of the Yoga. For me, it's perfect. I don't want a separate keyboard. I had an Asus Transformer Android tablet with the separate keyboard and never used it because it was too much hassle to go fetch it when I was using the device as a tablet. The Dell XPS 11 looked promising but they dropped the ball by elimating features that were initially announced. Hopefully 2014 will bring better choices.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors