cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luki1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 283
Message 1 of 3

Yoga mode control service uses constant 8-10% of CPU killing battery runtime. PLEASE FIX THIS!

I have always been a fan of Lenovo but things like this will make me think twice about purchasing their laptops again.

I have the YOGA 720 13. The Lenovo Yoga mode control service runs in the background and uses an inordinate amount of CPU resources. On the task manager I can see it uses on average 8-10% of CPU resources continuously.

Needless to say this will reduce your battery runtime considerably.

I waited to see if Lenovo would fix this issue as it has been mentioned in the forums many times previously but it seems they either dont care or are still somehow unaware of this ridiculously bad software engineering problem. This problem seems to be not just on my model but on several other Yoga models. Considering that battery time is one of the most important considerations in a laptop I wish they would fix this. In any case things like this will impact my next purchasing decision.

My solution in the end was to disable the service altogether in the Services tab. Its a pity that a nice piece of hardware is being limited by sloppily coded software. Disabling the YMC service causes your keyboard to be responsive when using the laptop in presentation or tent mode which is annoying as well but at least I get some decent battery time (for Windows...).

FYI. If you want much better battery runtime forget windows and try Ubuntu linux 18.10, I often get about 30% more battery when doing casual browsing/document editing.

luki1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 212
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga mode control service uses constant 8-10% of CPU killing battery runtime. PLEASE FIX THIS!

So lenovo sent me an automated email in reply pointing me to download the "latest version" of their buggy driver...see my reply below

"

Thanks for your reply but this does not solve the problem at all. The YMC service continues to drain battery as before whenever it's running, anywhere from constant 6 to 10%.
This problem has been reported by many users on the forum. You need to reengineer this.
I have done clean installs of Windows reinstalled your drivers and the problem has never gone away.

You are robbing users of 20 to 30% of their battery potential by not fxing this problem so instead of a generic answer please try to actually see the problem in action and fix it."

Fix this lenovo! How hard can it be?

Swaddy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 157
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga mode control service uses constant 8-10% of CPU killing battery runtime. PLEASE FIX THIS!

I was even annoyed when YMC used up to 2% consantly.

Anyway, after updating to 1809, YMC reacted much faster the first time after boot (from 10s waiting to 3s).

Then I got the mail about the update of the Lenovo ACPI Update and yes, exactly what you describe!

My solution: Revert the "Lenovo ACPI-Compliant Virtual Power Controller" to the previous driver

I'm not sure anymore if that also reverts the ymc.exe located at /Windows/system32/ (version 2.0.1.4) with the old one (version 2.0.0.9)

If not, replace it with the one from your Lenovo drive D or Windows.old folder (or contact me if you can't find it)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors