English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

10-10-2014

United States

9 Signins

33 Page Views

  • Posts: 4
  • Registered: ‎10-10-2014
  • Location: United States
  • Views: 33
  • Message 21 of 41

Re: Yoga "3" Pro

2014-10-13, 17:08 PM

Yes the fan is in the top left corner.

Reply
Options

229 Posts

08-20-2011

BA

1115 Signins

6726 Page Views

  • Posts: 229
  • Registered: ‎08-20-2011
  • Location: BA
  • Views: 6726
  • Message 22 of 41

Re: Yoga "3" Pro

2014-10-13, 17:30 PM

Yep, there's a fan. Which, apparently, can kick in very easily when the CPU is stressed.
And the CPU gets throttled easily and slows down if it gets stressed for little longer.

If you need more performance it looks like that Haswell is still a better choice for more demanding tasks. The advantage of new Broadwell CPU is only that it's smaller and consumes less power, so laptops can be thinner and lighter. But loses its breath pretty quickly and gets throttled.
The weaker version of Broadwell CPU doesn't need a fan. Y3P has fastest Broadwell CPU, which it looks like, has similar performance to Haswell Core i5, and does need a fan.

Reply
Options

79 Posts

12-26-2012

Chicago, IL

336 Signins

1440 Page Views

  • Posts: 79
  • Registered: ‎12-26-2012
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Views: 1440
  • Message 23 of 41

Re: Yoga "3" Pro

2014-10-13, 18:10 PM

wrote:

The weaker version of Broadwell CPU doesn't need a fan. Y3P has fastest Broadwell CPU, which it looks like, has similar performance to Haswell Core i5, and does need a fan.


Well, the fastest Broadwell-Y CPU. It's a step down in class of CPU from the U-class in the Yoga 13 and Yoga 2 Pro. I was hoping they would wait for the Broadwell-U which is due out early next year. I'll just wait for something else then.

Reply
Options

41 Posts

08-13-2014

US

279 Signins

1427 Page Views

  • Posts: 41
  • Registered: ‎08-13-2014
  • Location: US
  • Views: 1427
  • Message 24 of 41

Re: Yoga "3" Pro

2014-10-17, 6:57 AM

Here is a REVIEW.

 

Ouch.

 

Reply
Options

1403 Posts

06-08-2013

BE

1998 Signins

20038 Page Views

  • Posts: 1403
  • Registered: ‎06-08-2013
  • Location: BE
  • Views: 20038
  • Message 25 of 41

Re: Yoga "3" Pro

2014-10-17, 7:26 AM
The Yoga 3 Pro has a new hinge, because the Yoga 3 Pro is thinner, it also probably needed a different hinge for extra stability and durability down the road. Which makes sense.

Broadwell-Y is not a step down. It will perform equally to the i5-4200u. If they wanted a faster CPU, they need add a fan, which increases thickness & weight. Also to dissipate heat more easily, the Broadwell-Y CPU uses a big heatsink plate.

Kind regards,

Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider, Windows Insider MVP

 

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Looking to buy a Lenovo machine? Find your country

Belgium | Canada | Finland | France | Germany | Netherlands | Sweden | U.K. | U.S.A.

Reply
Options

7 Posts

10-10-2014

The Netherlands

24 Signins

110 Page Views

  • Posts: 7
  • Registered: ‎10-10-2014
  • Location: The Netherlands
  • Views: 110
  • Message 26 of 41

Re: Yoga "3" Pro

2014-10-18, 20:06 PM

@above: people that got their hands on it confirmed there IS a fan onboard. Reports about it being fanless seem wrong. Honestly, quite dissapointing...

 

I was quite interested in the Yoga 3 Pro, until I saw the awful performance. Benchmarks seem downright crappy and some people that already got a Y3P mentioned some serious flaws in day to day performance.

 

I really hope this is simply an issue that will be solved by optimizing the processor (or whatever), because otherwise this is a major failure. Really... releasing a newer version with a SLOWER processor and WITHOUT actual battery improvements?  That's just plain bizarre. 

Reply
Options

1659 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

  • Posts: 1659
  • Registered: ‎08-14-2011
  • Location: USA
  • Views: 25513
  • Message 27 of 41

Re: Yoga "3" Pro

2014-10-18, 21:49 PM

wrote:

@above: people that got their hands on it confirmed there IS a fan onboard. Reports about it being fanless seem wrong. Honestly, quite dissapointing...

 

I was quite interested in the Yoga 3 Pro, until I saw the awful performance. Benchmarks seem downright crappy and some people that already got a Y3P mentioned some serious flaws in day to day performance.

 

I really hope this is simply an issue that will be solved by optimizing the processor (or whatever), because otherwise this is a major failure. Really... releasing a newer version with a SLOWER processor and WITHOUT actual battery improvements?  That's just plain bizarre. 


Moderator comment: Veiled Profanity to circumvent the smut filter removed. Continued use of same will result in posts being removed. Community Rules.

Reply
Options

87 Posts

04-15-2014

US

226 Signins

2029 Page Views

  • Posts: 87
  • Registered: ‎04-15-2014
  • Location: US
  • Views: 2029
  • Message 28 of 41

Re: Yoga "3" Pro

2014-10-19, 3:17 AM
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/ultraportable-laptops/1401706/lenovo-yoga-3-pro-review

Pretty good review here. Looks like battery life is up. However, I don't think we will get the Watt hour numbers to compare until an informed user gets a hold of one.

I actually like the new hinge...looks strong and looks cool.
Reply
Options

229 Posts

08-20-2011

BA

1115 Signins

6726 Page Views

  • Posts: 229
  • Registered: ‎08-20-2011
  • Location: BA
  • Views: 6726
  • Message 29 of 41

Re: Yoga "3" Pro

2014-10-19, 14:59 PM

And here's a not very positive review:
http://www.mobilegeeks.com/lenovo-yoga-3-pro-first-impressions-thoughts/

I doubt expertreviews have tested the laptop properly because most users are reporting 5-7 hours with normal usage, they say maybe an hour better than Y2P.
The review from mobilegeeks confirms that as well.

Y3P has some very good pros going for it:
- lighter and thinner
- Gorilla glass
- extra USB 2 port when not plugged in AC
- supposedly better yellows than Y2P, but screen is still pentile with not very good colors
- little longer battery life than Y2P, but still less than other Haswell ultrabooks
- *supposedly* better quality hinge (we'll know this for sure only in some months)
- smaller charger

Some cons:
- less bright screen than Y2P (300 vs 350 nit)
- larger (deeper) body
- slower performance with lots of throttling (can't even play 1080p Youtube video without stutter)
- ugly and shiny hinge
- no function keyboard row
- higher price than Y2P
- worse speakers than Y2P despite JBL speakers

Conclusion? Doesn't look good to me...

Reply
Options

1659 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

  • Posts: 1659
  • Registered: ‎08-14-2011
  • Location: USA
  • Views: 25513
  • Message 30 of 41

Re: Yoga "3" Pro

2014-10-19, 15:15 PM

wrote:

And here's a not very positive review:
http://www.mobilegeeks.com/lenovo-yoga-3-pro-first-impressions-thoughts/

I doubt expertreviews have tested the laptop properly because most users are reporting 5-7 hours with normal usage, they say maybe an hour better than Y2P.
The review from mobilegeeks confirms that as well.

Y3P has some very good pros going for it:
- lighter and thinner
- Gorilla glass
- extra USB 2 port when not plugged in AC
- supposedly better yellows than Y2P, but screen is still pentile with not very good colors
- little longer battery life than Y2P, but still less than other Haswell ultrabooks
- *supposedly* better quality hinge (we'll know this for sure only in some months)
- smaller charger

Some cons:
- less bright screen than Y2P (300 vs 350 nit)
- larger (deeper) body
- slower performance with lots of throttling (can't even play 1080p Youtube video without stutter)
- ugly and shiny hinge
- no function keyboard row
- higher price than Y2P
- worse speakers than Y2P despite JBL speakers

Conclusion? Doesn't look good to me...


My Yoga 2 Pro gets like 6-7 hours of moderate use. So I see no battery life improvement (in spite of the lower voltage processor..... maybe the went with a 3 cell battery, lmao). Also it was just released and their seems to be audio driver issues, similar to that of the Y2P but worst.

 

Honestly, the slow processor is a BIG mistake. For me, the Y2P is an upgrade to the Y3P (more stylish (opinion based), cheaper, better speakers, keyboard function keys, faster, brighter screens......).

 

Only thing I wish I had was that cool USB charging port. Then again, I would buy a Y2P over a Y3P for the aforementioned features. Speed, lack of better looking hinges and the loss of the function keys are my 3 main problems with the Y3P.

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete