Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calebu2
Serial Port
Views: 1,722
Message 1 of 2

Yoga wifi issues appear to be antenna location related not solely bad reception

I just took my yoga on my first business trip and I have to say that is both awesome (in terms of using it on a flight, in conferences) and frustrating (in terms of its wifi deafness). I may yet return it to Best Buy (I have 45 days) to see if I can get one that works better.

As I've been playing around with the laptop, I've noticed that the wifi issues are most pronounced when the base of the laptop is resting against either my legs or on a dense surface. I was at a hotel with wifi in their lobby area and noticed that when I used it on a wood topped surface, it works ok most of the time but when I rest it on a stone surface or a surface with metal beneath it, wifi drops out.

The extent to which it drops out also changes depending on the orientation of the device - it appears to be worst in laptop mode and best in tent mode.

Given that the wifi repeaters were likely in the ceiling, it's not an issue of pure line-of-sight reception. This to me suggests that the antennas are either having a bridging issue (like the iphone 4) or that the presence of other materials is messing with the impedance of the antennas in the laptop.

Clearly the RF engineer was sleeping on the job when this design came through - I bet in the rush to get it as thin as possible they failed to take into account the impact that environment would have on the device (though every tablet manufacturer is able to do this without issue...)

I wonder if the same RF engineer will be able to see if there is something that can be used to give the laptop a better signal (e.g. by overlaying an adhesive antenna on the base of the laptop or by providing a quick fix for local service centers to apply while the device is still under warranty).

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 1,623
Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga wifi issues appear to be antenna location related not solely bad reception

Hi calebu2,

Thanks posting and Glad to hear that your loving the machine. I too just got a Yoga 13 and yes definitely a huge win. Though I must I say that I'veencountered any wireless issues as of yet though. I not particularly sure what can cause the Wifi issues as to be hones Most of the surface I've tried is are only wood one. 

I have have yet to try the metal surfaces and stone surfaces. and see if it making any diffrences.

Another thing I'd like to check with you is your Wireless Drivers. Which Version and date do you have installed? On my machine I have the 1021.2.904.2012 verion with the release date of 4/9/2012. 

Lenovo had released a new update of the drivers which was released on 23 Oct 2012 with the version 1.00.0193.

You want to consider updating if you have not done so. Click on the link below for the download.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS031976

Hope this helps.

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors