Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saeedkh
Paper Tape
Views: 210
Message 1 of 7

Yoga yoga 520 14ikb Upgrade RAM from 4gb to 8gb and add M.2 SSD / PCIe 3.0

Hi everyone

I bought Yoga yoga 520 14ikb (4gb ram and 1tb hdd )

I want to Upgrade RAM from 4gb to 8gb and add M.2 SSD / PCIe 3  (265 gb) and move the OS (windows to it) and boot from it instead boot from hdd, and make the hdd just for storage

Please help me and give me all the required info,

I don;t want to buy something that I'll never use.

When I did some research I found that there is lots of option for ram and m2.pcie3 storage 

1. For ram : there dual rank or single rank ... and nothing mentioned in the yoga specification pdf about the rank ... is this fits 
  2. For the m2.pcie3 : i found option1, option2 is there any difference between them 

If you have another options please share with me ... but please be sure that all the suggested options are compatible with yoga 520 14ikb

Thanks and best regards,

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 194
Message 2 of 7

Re: Yoga yoga 520 14ikb Upgrade RAM from 4gb to 8gb and add M.2 SSD / PCIe 3.0

Crucial has a page that shows the compatible RAM and SSDs (SATA and M.2) for your system.     

You don't have to buy from Crucial, but if you click on the images of the offerings, it will give you the specifications needed to help make your purchasing decisions. 

Lenovo Yoga 520-14IKB compatible upgrades

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/yoga-520-14ikb

As far as single or dual ranked memory, your could have shipped with both single or dual ranked RAM, and while both will work for your upgrade, dual ranked is generally considered to be slightly faster.

SSD's are harder since there is really not a good independent benchmark for judging actual speed, but Samsung EVO's are generally good SSD's (but are expensive).    While Crucial's M.2 SSD do not claim to be as fast, the are considerably cheaper and have a 5-year warranty vs the 3-year warranty of the 960 EVO). 

For instance:

For the price of a 500GB Samsung 960 EVO ($198.00 USD), you could get a Crucial  1TB M.2 SSD  ($119.00 USD) and 8GB of dual ranked Crucial RAM ($49.00 USD) and still have $30.00 USD left over, and if you went with a  Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD ($66.99 USD)  and 8GB of dual ranked Crucial RAM ($49.00 USD) you would have $82.00 left over.

I have never heard of the other brand of M.2 SSD you linked, so I cannot comment on that one.

Best of luck,

saeedkh
Paper Tape
Views: 168
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your feedback 

I have one question 

can I keep the original hdd 1tb and add the nvme m2 pcie ssd card and make it bootable and move the original windows to it ?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 165
Message 4 of 7

Yes, you can clone the old 1TB drive to your new drive.   I know that the Crucial provides Acronis cloning software with their SSDs, and I am sure that other provide something as well.     

One big issue people run into when cloning is that if you buy a smaller SSD than your original 1TB drive, you will need to "shrink" old HD before cloning, and that requires that the total used space on the old 1TB is less than the total size of the new SSD.     Also make sure that after cloning, you remove the original HDD once completed, and boot off the SSD to ensure it is the the boot device. 

Cheers,

saeedkh
Paper Tape
Views: 145
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your helpful feedback.

is there any problem while configuring the boot option from bios to make the new ssd m2 the first option for boot ?

while i was doing my research i found that someone faced an issue to make the new m2 ssd bootable in yoga 520

anyone faced an issue like that?

also if the boot from m2 ssd is succeed : can i still use the 1tb as a secondary storage in my laptop

or i have to remove it from the laptop and keep only the new m2 ssd ?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 132
Message 6 of 7

The reason you want to unplug the old drive after cloning is so the BIOS will recognized the Windows Boot Loader on the new SSD, and to allow you to make sure that the SSD is the first boot device listed in the BIOS, after that is complete, you can plug back in your old HDD and reformat it etc. to use as a storage drive.    

If you do not remove the old HDD and boot after cloning, the Windows Boot Loader might remain on the old HDD, even Windows loads off of the SSD, and that would slow things down.

Out of old habit I usually put the the old HDD into a USB drive enclosure, boot the system using Acronis cloning software on a USB flash drive, and then clone the new M.2 SSD from the old HDD.     Once that is complete and I am sure that the new drive is working as expected, I reformat the old HDD before installing it back into the laptop.     

That is not really necessary since you have two internal drives, but make sure you DO NOT boot the after cloning is complete with the old HDD connected, which allows you to go into the BIOS and make sure it is set as the primary boot device, and make sure everything is working as expected.   

After you are satisfied that everything is OK, you can then reconnect the old HDD and reformat etc. 

Best of luck,

saeedkh
Paper Tape
Views: 94
Message 7 of 7

Many thanks for your reply,

will try and update you 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors