Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
misterbo
Paper Tape
Views: 128
Message 1 of 2

Yoga900 Battery problem. Drops from 100 to 80 to 7 (auto shutdown) in 15 mins.

Hello. I got my Yoga900 about two years ago (battery manufactured 2 years ago according to Lenovo Vantage). Never dropped it and usually get about 7-8 hours on a full charge (Grad student, so not too intensive usage).

Starting from this past week I noticed that my battery drains super fast.

1. Plug in charger and it only charges up to 90% and if I unplug it I will hit 7% in less than 20 minutes and it shuts down.

2. Charge up to 100%, same issue, drops to 80 and then 7 in less than 20 minutes.

3. When I plug it back in, the laptop would start charging from 7%.

4. 3 days ago when I checked my battery status on Vantage, it showed Good. Today it shows Fair.

Should I go to Best Buy and have Geek Squad work on my laptop? How should I best approach this issue?

SeniorGuru
Views: 94
Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga900 Battery problem. Drops from 100 to 80 to 7 (auto shutdown) in 15 mins.

Welcome to the forum.

@misterbo wrote:

Hello. I got my Yoga900 about two years ago (battery manufactured 2 years ago according to Lenovo Vantage). Never dropped it and usually get about 7-8 hours on a full charge (Grad student, so not too intensive usage).

Starting from this past week I noticed that my battery drains super fast.

1. Plug in charger and it only charges up to 90% and if I unplug it I will hit 7% in less than 20 minutes and it shuts down.

2. Charge up to 100%, same issue, drops to 80 and then 7 in less than 20 minutes.

3. When I plug it back in, the laptop would start charging from 7%.

4. 3 days ago when I checked my battery status on Vantage, it showed Good. Today it shows Fair.

Should I go to Best Buy and have Geek Squad work on my laptop? How should I best approach this issue? 

The symptoms in your list all point to a defective battery, most likely one or more cells that have short-circuited. While this shouldn't happen in only two years, unfortunately the warranty on batteries is only one year.

You could go to Best Buy and have them replace the battery. However you might consider buying a genuine Lenovo replacement battery and doing the swap yourself. The YOGA 900 Hardware Maintenance Manual describes how to do this on pp. 30-35.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors