Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robnicholson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 461
Message 1 of 15

Yogo 500 battery charging/not charging

Client's relatively new Yoga 500 is exhibiting a weird problem in Windows 10 anniversary edition. The battery is currently at 47% but keeps flickering between charging and not charging. The icon changes every second, possibly faster. Tried swapping power supplies so it's not that. When first reported, the battery was at 40% but then got to 47% during a reboot.

The battery on the Yoga 500 is internal so not possible to try swapping batteries.

Any ideas or suggestions?

MattDN93
Token Ring
Views: 398
Message 2 of 15

Re: Yogo 500 battery charging/not charging

EDIT2: I think this might be the battery controller that's faulty. The charging port clearly works since I can power the device with the battery unplugged, but the level stays showing "discharging" at 1% for hours and it doesn't detect the prescence of the charger.

EDIT: This is probably a hardware fault - I used an Ubuntu live USB to boot the device and it still showed the charging/discharging in the terminal. I'm going to take my device in under warranty.

I've recently encountered the same issue on my Yoga 500, I have no idea how to fix it since it isn't charging between reboots at all. Also tried disconnecting the battery by opening the back cover and using a different adapter but the issue persists. I've ruled out Lenovo drivers since I uninstalled them as well. For the moment a workaround is to disable the ACPI battery or the AC charger from Device Manager to stop the flickering, but note your battery won't charge.

robnicholson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 378
Message 3 of 15

Yes, Lenovo support also confirmed a hardware fault.

Except I'm NOT IMPRESSED at all with the returns process. The online chat is fine except they finish by saying "You will receive an email with details about the return process in 15 minutes" except this email NEVER ARRIVES. Very poor to have their process let down by a crap email sub-system. My email is hosted on Office 365 (Exchange) with Microsoft so hardly an unusual email platform. And yes, I've checked junk and clutter.

13 days I've been trying to get this returned!

MattDN93
Token Ring
Views: 368
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for confirming this; I really hope you can get the repair sorted.

Ironically for myself, South Africa does not have a dedicated Lenovo service process and the warranty repairs are outsourced to a third-party, so I had to drive to the service centre and manually deliver the device, writing down my details on paper. I'm apparently getting a reply in terms of the assessment result tomorrow. Maybe low-tech helps sometimes.
MattDN93
Token Ring
Views: 342
Message 5 of 15

Update: Service centre has confirmed mainboard fault and is replacing the board under warranty.

@robnicholson hope your repair got sorted.
robnicholson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 338
Message 6 of 15

Oh I wish! Lenovo support has failed to do the most simplest of things - send me an email with the return label in it. It's costing them a lot of money. Each time they set-up the pickup, the email fails to arrive so we package it. The courier turns up at the main office (we work in a share office where couriers can't get to our actual office) and go away without the package.

It's pathetic and very worryingly. I've wasted hours on this now.

It's seriously getting to the point where I'm about to suggest to my client they dump Lenovo and switch to Dell - all because they email subsystem can't send an email....
MattDN93
Token Ring
Views: 317
Message 7 of 15

I'm sorry you've had that problem, hopefully they'll be able to help you soon.

An update, I've just gotten my device back from Lenovo with a fresh new motherboard and the issue is resolved for now - looks like it was a board issue.
robnicholson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 291
Message 8 of 15

No, Lenovo has still failed to pick up the device for repair under warranty. A formal complaint is probably the next step for my client. Whilst only a small business, they've now asked me to find a different make.
robnicholson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 270
Message 9 of 15

A slight move forward. As we were about to physically throw Lenovo out of the window, my colleague tried raising a ticket completely separately via telephone. Surprise, surprise, she didn't receive the returns label either! So she rang back again an hour later and they tried her personal ntlworld.com account and that worked!

So we now have that all-important but tiny returns label so we can personally take it to the post office to get it back to Germany. At least we know it's on the next step but considering Lenovo's track record so far on this return, I'm expecting something else to go wrong.

They seriously need to get the developer to look at the "Send returns label" code as it's obviously very broken. Or their infrastructure guys to diagnose the process and whether the email was ever queued to send and was rejected for some reason. My client uses Office 365 managed by Microsoft so I doubt their email servers are on some kind of blacklist!

Sadly, we're looking elsewhere going forward.

MattDN93
Token Ring
Views: 258
Message 10 of 15

It's disappointing to hear that Lenovo has responded so poorly, but it does seem to be a technical issue with the way their automated mail server identifies Exchange servers perhaps? Who would you contact at Lenovo regarding their email system is the question...
Top Kudoed Authors