Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wills4132
Fanfold Paper
Views: 727
Message 1 of 3

Yogo C930 Sound Problems

Hi All, I just received a brand new Yoga C930 on Thursday and I have an extremely annoying and potential dealbreaking problem that I cannot find an answer to.

There is an incessant whine and hissing coming from what I believe to the be the speaker (I'm nearly 100% certain based on my testing).  It's loud and annoying enough that when I showed off the laptop to my co-workers it was the first thing they mentioned.  My wife can hear it from the kitchen when I'm in the living room with the TV on and after spending hours troubleshooting it, I'm considering sending it back due to the severity.

I have installed and re-installed the drivers on the Lenovo site at least 5 times.  I've turned off the microphone, adjusted every sound option possible, disabled and re-enabled options in device manager and it continues.  Anytime the sound is activated such as a Windows "ding" or a game or anything it starts until whatever sound is turned off.  I flat-out cannot watch a movie or Netflix because of it and it definitely increases in volume along with the hissing which increases as well. 

It's unbearable and I'm looking for a workaround at this point because so far I love the laptop but this thing will absolutely go back and I'll probably go with a Dell XPS 13 if I have to wait any major length of time to deal with it.  I don't need the fancy surround sound or special audio so I would be fine rolling it back to an old driver or virtually anything to get rid of it.  If someone has a link to an old driver that will work, I would appreciate.  Otherwise, I can't recommend this laptop to ANYONE until they find a solution.  So far the forums have been completely useless and tech support has only suggested reinstalling the drivers.  

I appreciate any insight or suggestions because I'm at my wits end.  

Edit (12/8/2018 - 14:08 PST):  Found one interesting thing.  Changing the power option in the BIOS to "Performance" instead of "Automatic" or "Quiet" seems to limit the whining somewhat.  I'm hypothesizing here (based on some other forum posts) that it's possible that the speaker goes into power saving mode with any other option than "Performance".  Again, just a guess.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 644
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yogo C930 Sound Problems

Hi Wills4132! Welcome to our forums community. It sounded like the hissing sound is coming from the fan? Have you tried installing the BIOS update? If not, update then restart the computer. You may try the similar steps on this link: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-910-crazy-loud-fan-even-when-CPU-at-l.... Update us with the result.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

wills4132
Fanfold Paper
Views: 618
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yogo C930 Sound Problems

Hi Jwes,

Thank you for the response but this isn't working either.  

A couple of things to note:  

- This is the new Yoga C93013IKB not a 910.  The driver suggested in the link below refused to load due to incompatibilities.

- The firmware of my computer is up to date according to your site and is 8GCN30WW

- Setting the fan control in the BIOS to "Quiet" actually makes the whining sound worse.  I don't think it's the fan.

- My current workaround is to just press F1 to mute the speaker which is no bueno but it keeps my wife from screaming at me.

I'm going to call Support again on Monday.  It's getting close to the point where I'm going to get kicked out of the house for simply using the laptop.  Smiley Wink

Thanks,

Will

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors