Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

27 Posts

12-14-2013

United States

24 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 1 of 6

backlight bleeding Yoga 2 Pro

2013-12-23, 19:45 PM

Just wondering what the normal bleed is on these. Mine is basically not too noticeable when the lights are on/daytime but at night I see a ton of it from all sides. (on 100% brightness. 50% or 40% minimizes it, but still there from all sides.. If I look at it from far away it's less)

I'm pretty sure this is actually "IPS Glow" other than the lower left corner, which I think is bleeding slightly This is visible even during the day on any dark background, however it is somewhat minor, but noticeable.

The reason why I'm concerned about it is because while folding it into a different mode it gets worse temporarily - and I could see the problem escalating. I already exchanged once at bestbuy and I'm not sure of their policies but I would be outside of the original return date, but not the date of the exchange.

If this is somewhat normal I think I could live with it but if it's going to get worse I think I'm going to try and get something else, like a surface pro 2.

The other one, that I installed comodo on and the screen wouldn't turn on seemed to just have IPS Glow, with no bleeding, but I'm not 100% because I only had that one for a short period before it died.

Options

27 Posts

12-14-2013

United States

24 Signins

419 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re: backlight bleeding Yoga 2 Pro

2013-12-24, 5:47 AM

So I guess backlight bleeding is extremely common on IPS LED displays. This is the first one I've had so I didn't really know. Since it's fairly minor I'll probably just keep this screen since getting another one might be actually be worse.

I saw that the Surface Pro 2 also has a ton of issues with backlight bleeding along with a lot of Apple's stuff.

I'm used to looking at my Dell Ultrasharp or a Plasma screen so I haven't seen backlight bleeding for a long time. I used to have displays with it but that was a long time ago when LCDs first started coming out and I had a cheapish TN display. 

The reason it gets worse when I flip the thing is because the display flexes. I really wish the screen was in something a little thicker or something so nothing would flex.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 3 of 6

2013-12-24, 13:13 PM
my Yoga 2 Pro backlight bleed is not that bad, much better than most of my ThinkPad with IPS display.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

27 Posts

12-14-2013

United States

24 Signins

419 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2014-01-02, 6:44 AM

I didn't do the bios update on this new one - after I did the bios update the bleeding pretty much stopped except for on the "Lenovo" logo at boot - and I guess Linux might not benefit from the tweaks Lenovo has done to the screen to get it to look right.

Still appears to be bleeding @ 100% in a dark room but far less with the update and if I move my head around in different directions the "bleeding" moves around as well. The bottom 2 corners where the hinges are at have the worst problem but with the update it's not too noticeable unless I'm sort of looking for it.

I guess this is a general drawback to the panel Lenovo is using and not "real" bleeding like I'm accustomed to on TN panels. More like the screen is just hinged on too tight at the bottom and flexed a little bit, rather than actual bleed.

I'm a little bit picky about panels but I guess I have to get over it, the new "thin" breed of panels seem to all suffer to some extent with this type of problem. I adjusted to TN panels so I guess I can adjust to this as well eventually.

Options

1 Posts

05-13-2014

somewhere

1 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 5 of 6

2014-05-13, 18:20 PM

My wife's Yoga 2 Pro has pretty terrible backlight bleed and some unbearable on/off flicker issue, see video here: https://vimeo.com/95148704

Also, it's not true that IPS LED displays exhibit backlight bleed in general. Maybe the Lenovo ones do. I own and worked with several Dell IPS LED monitors, and also several Macbook Pro with IPS LED and none have backlight bleeding of this calibre. The number of issues in the Lenovo screens (the yellow problem too which is Lenovoi specific) indicates pretty poor quality control. It's quite unacceptable.

Options

234 Posts

08-20-2011

Bosnia and Herzegovina

1117 Signins

6736 Page Views

• Views: 6736
  • Message 6 of 6

2014-05-13, 19:51 PM

wrote:

My wife's Yoga 2 Pro has pretty terrible backlight bleed and some unbearable on/off flicker issue, see video here: https://vimeo.com/95148704

Also, it's not true that IPS LED displays exhibit backlight bleed in general. Maybe the Lenovo ones do. I own and worked with several Dell IPS LED monitors, and also several Macbook Pro with IPS LED and none have backlight bleeding of this calibre. The number of issues in the Lenovo screens (the yellow problem too which is Lenovoi specific) indicates pretty poor quality control. It's quite unacceptable.

My Y2P also has some backlight bleeding in botom right corner, but it's not bad, I can see it only the display is black.

About the flicker - check if "Panel self refresh" option in Intel graphics panel is disabled. This option isn't available in Y2P stock graphics driver, but is in new Intel's driver.

When this option is enabled the display consumes considerably less power, but it can have pretty bad flickers and shifts ocassionally, even go off sometimes. Closing the lid and opening it again fixes it. That option is in Intel's Graphics properties panel, Power section, under "On battery" tab.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms