Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaTThToR
Paper Tape
Views: 444
Message 1 of 5

bios not finding hard drives

Hello,

I had some problems with my computer (installed linux and it did not work) and now my bios recognises only every USB stick with Kali Live on it. It does not find any other usb with other OSs, or disk or even Windows (preinstalled, I saw on kali live that all the files are working). I do not have any more any Lenovo app due to a complete formatting made to fix a previous error (I would like to have them back...)

What can I do?

Update: now it shows in bios "efi pxe network" as boot device, but when I turn on it says me "searching media" and after some time "Searching media [fail]" and something like "no bootable media found, insert media, press enter and select that media in boot menu"

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 394
Message 2 of 5

Re: bios not finding hard drives

Sounds like your HDD/SDD is dead. Consider replacing it with new one

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
MaTThToR
Paper Tape
Views: 389
Message 3 of 5

Thank you, it wasn't necessary. I brought it to an expert, which reinstalled Windows (I don't know how...)

Arunraj190926
Paper Tape
Views: 89
Message 4 of 5

Was the data from your harddisk was there or deleted
System64
What's DOS?
Views: 57
Message 5 of 5

It was there, as the Linux Live USB flash drive (the only device recognized) could see the files in my hard disk through Disk Usage Analyzer.

I now know more about the issue; my lenovo PC needs the Fn and F2 keys to be pressed together, not only F2. What happened was that Linux failed to find or download critical files for the GRUB boot-loader and thus did not start nor list any partitions (aside from that Linux bootable USB drive). From the F2 screen it's possible to set device boot priority and legacy-UEFI settings. Currently, for dual boot (Windows 10 - Zorin - Kali) I use Legacy Support and Legacy first, and everything runs smoothly. For whoever does not see the other OSes in the bootloader, just run in terminal sudo update-grub. Hope this clears any doubts for whoever stumbles across this, it's certainly a much more detailed solution.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors