Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ticonzero2010
Paper Tape
Views: 4,081
Message 1 of 11

deleted recovery partition yoga 2

Hi All!!

my first post on the forum, three days after buying a new yoga 2.

I was installing Linux and by mistake I wiped out the entire disk inclusing the recovery partition with windows 8 installation stuff !! Do you know if it there is any way to get it back, downlading it  from somewhere and installing ? I searched on the Lenovo website but didn't find any clue....

many thanks in advance!!

andrea

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 4,061
Message 2 of 11

Re: deleted recovery partition yoga 2

Andrea, I'm afraid it sounds like you may be in a tough spot...

You can create an installation disk with this link (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media), but you'll need to enter your product key.  The problem' is that Lenovo, in a move I've never heard of from a computer manufacturer, decided not to give us ours.  So your only option is the recovery partition - which is a much worse option even when it is available.

Off the top of my head you have a few options:

1. Leave windows behind, stay on linux.

2. Try to get a new product key as described here (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/osproductkeys/ht/windows-product-key-replacement.htm).  I have never had to do this, so I don't know how helpful Lenovo will be, or how to get a new product key from Microsoft with a preinstalled computer but without the installation media, but might be worth a shot.

3. Purchase a new windows 8 license.  

4. Stay on linux until windows 10 comes out in 2015 (if you're buying a new license, at least you'll be buying something you shouldn't already own)

5. Send it in to Lenovo (least recommended - your warranty won't help you so I'd guess they'll charge you for the OS plus labor - might as well buy it yourself, not pay for the labor, plus you'll actually have the product key that you paid for, so you can do what you want in the future).

Anthony

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,057
Message 3 of 11

@Anonymous_User wrote:

You can create an installation disk with this link (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media), but you'll need to enter your product key.  The problem' is that Lenovo, in a move I've never heard of from a computer manufacturer, decided not to give us ours.  So your only option is the recovery partition - which is a much worse option even when it is available.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1/Windows-8-1-cd-key-for-installing-windows-on-SSD-on-Y50-70/m-p/1828684

Per this thread and others, if the correct version is downloaded via that link, the embedded key should be picked up automatically:

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

ticonzero2010
Paper Tape
Views: 4,053
Message 4 of 11

Hi Anthony,

many thanks for yourmessage! Thruth is that I wuold really like to bring back the laptop to the store and get another model. I have to admit that I find it rather slow, so I'm thinking to get a model with an solid state drive and more memory (I have a 4 GB RAM). Also I'm not sure what is going on with the wifi, after some workaround it seem to be working but sometime it stops working even if the icon shows that the conection is on.

at the worst I think I'll bring it back to the store and  explain what happened, may be they can fix for me.

For the product keyI read that it should be stored somewhere in the BIOS but I don't know how to access it,

thanks,

andrea

ticonzero2010
Paper Tape
Views: 4,050
Message 5 of 11

Hi ajcap12345,

thanks for the message. IMy prblem is that I completely wiped out windows and I don't know how to run the installared from my laptop, now I'm installing wine I'll see if that can work and post the results. If you have any advice that wouldbe very welcome!!

andrea

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 4,045
Message 6 of 11

Interesting, i stand corrected.  The tech support person I spoke to earlier did not mention this, he just told me that the recovery partition was all you need.  If this works, it's definitely a more palatable situation than I originally thought.

ticonzero2010
Paper Tape
Views: 4,035
Message 7 of 11

Hi ajcap12345,

I have an update: it seems that wine is seen as a Windows XP or Vista, thus it can't run the installer, I was hoping that the installer could read the activation code from the bios and download the OS image. It's just a chicken and hegg situation, you need the OS to download the media and the media to install the OS ...

I'll post here if I find a way....

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 4,031
Message 8 of 11

Andrea,  according to Zoltan's link, you don't need to access the key, it will just be detected during installation.  

I hadn't thought about that creation issue, but yea that's annoying.  The best option is to do it on another windows computer (work, friend, local library), maybe wine will work but I'm not sure (I've never actually needed to got through the process of creating a windows installation disc yet, so I don't know the process that well.)  If you can't get the official means to work you can just download the iso.  Since straight iso downloads are not offiicial I won't link any, just make sure you check it against the md5 so that you know it's a regular copy of windows. 

Anthony

ticonzero2010
Paper Tape
Views: 4,025
Message 9 of 11

thanks Anthony,

I'm downloading it on an old win7 computer, I thought that the check on the activation code was done before downloading the installer, I'll see what happen.

I really like this laptop, and I think I'll get another Lenovo, but there must be something wrong with mine, the wifi from timeto time goes down, even if the icon show a connected status, but if I ping a website nothing gets through, I thought I solved the wifi issue by installing the latest kernel, but that are still some problems...

ticonzero2010
Paper Tape
Views: 3,975
Message 10 of 11

So I tried a few things:

- I could download an image of Windows 8.1 and burn it to an USB and install windows form there,but I couldn't restore the recovery partition, this means that I will need to use the usb if a have to reinstall windows and initialize the laptop

- in Windows thewifi is not visible, it just does not show upin the control panel

- in (kubuntu 14.10) 64bit I can see the wifi and it works for a little bit, but after some time of usage even if the wifi shows it is  connected to the router there is no communication and I need to use my phone thetered through a USB cable to have network

- in linux (kubuntu 14.10) 32 bit, the wifi works fine always, and the laptop seems a little faster too, I just have a problem, I need to work with Matlab and since a couple of years Mathworks does not support the 32 bit on linux anymore, so if I want to use Matlab I need to boot on linux 64 bit and I need to have an external wi-fi antenna to have the network

it seems there is a problem in controlling the wifi adapter from a 64 bit architecture, or there is some wrongsettings, does anybody have any suggestion ?

thanks in advancefor your help, and happy 2015!!

andrea

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors