Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trebla
Fanfold Paper
Views: 376
Message 1 of 3

display issue with my lenovo yoga 500 15IBD laptop

Hello Team,

On Sept 8 2018, when I start my Lenovo Yoga 500 15ibd laptop, the display has turned sometimes pink, purple or green.  I noticed that there is no black.  All things that should be in black in videos and application displays are shown in pink.

And I can see background screen of my previous display in the shadow all in pink too. 

I started to research on youtube on how to fix it.  I updated all my graphic card drivers and even check if there are no pending windows 10 updates.  I tried going to BIOS as you previously advised another user with similar problems and the screen problem is still persist in BIOS.  I plugged my laptop to my big 55 inch flat screen TV and the display looks normal on my big flat screen TV.  So is this an LCD problem.  My laptop's warranty has already expired.  I bought my laptop Jan 2018 brand new from a local store as it was on 30% discount sale.  It never occurred to me that the unit is already out of warranty with lenovo as it is a 2015 model.  The store only give 6 months warranty for laptops on sale as normally they extend 12 months warranty on labor and parts for laptops on regular price.  So lenovo do not have a warranty on my laptop anymore at the time I bought it even though it is brand new at the time of purchase.  Based the lenovo website, my laptop's warranty ended Sept 2017 and I bought it Jan 2018.  I think lenovo should have extended my warranty for 2 years starting from the date of purchase and not from the time the laptop model was released to the market.

I have Intel(R) Core TM i7-5500u cpu @2.4 ghz with 8 gb RAM Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 and NVIDIA GE Force 940M Display Cards.

Everything was ok until Sept 8 2018.  Suddenly its showing this behavior. After several restarts also, i am facing same problem.

Please help.

trebla
Fanfold Paper
Views: 367
Message 2 of 3

Re: display issue with my lenovo yoga 500 15IBD laptop

All 

On Sept 10 2018, I called the lenovo helpdesk hotline to report my problem.  The service adviser told me that the problem is most likely a hardware problem.  So he instructed me to visit the nearest service center which is located very near to the store where I bought my laptop from.  I went to the service center, and they told me that I need to replace my lcd panel assembly just by looking at the screen of my laptop.  They told me that the whole assembly will cost more than 50% of the price I originally paid for the new laptop.  I told them it is too expensive and so they offered to ask around if they can find a third party supplier with a more acceptable price.  So I left my number with them and went home.

On Sept 12 2018 I decided to just buy a 24 inch samsung LED fhd monitor with HDMI cable and just use my laptop as a desktop.  The Samsung 24 inch LED monitor was way cheaper and the screen display was way awesome than the original screen display of my laptop. 

Looks like the problem is intermittent.  My laptop screen is back to normal after a two days since installing a 24 inch samsung led monitor and using it for a couple of days, I noticed that the lenovo laptop screen display has normalized.  Then on the 3rd day the problem was there again.  Then after 2 days, it has normalized again.  The display has been normal for the past 7 days now since Sept 15.  So the problem might not be the lcd panel but the lcd cable must be loose.  Having the laptop display flat for a few days might have fixed it.  As you know in order for me to see the 24 inch samsung monitor, i need to put the laptop lcd display on a flat position.  Or maybe, Windows 10 updates caused the problem initially and then subsequent updates somehow corrected it.  I will continue to monitor my laptop and report back after a few days. 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 334
Message 3 of 3

Re: display issue with my lenovo yoga 500 15IBD laptop

Hi trebla!

Good observation and you have a point. There is a high chance that it is not the LCD Panel that is causing the issue. As if that is that case, the issue will be persistent no matter what you do with the laptop. Please continue to observe. We also suggest to have a technician fully evaluate your laptop. You can also find the list of parts here https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_yoga_500_hmm_201504.pdf. You can also check the price and availability here https://lenovo.encompass.com/. Please keep us in the loop.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors