Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TPham1948
Token Ring
Views: 5,231
Message 1 of 21

eGPU for Yoga 920

Hi alls,
I'm aware of this thread and several reviewers on the net about eGPU, plus some highly praises for this AORUS Gaming Box.
Initially, I was not interested in the subject of eGPU, as I'm not a gamer. So, eGPU would be a waste of money, at excessive high cost, and not necessary for this high-end Yoga 920.
But . . . when I tried processing some videos, the GPU usage in Task Manager stayed upward in the 98% high. Too bad, that I do this task often.
Hence, I wish to start this thread, with some initial (perhaps naive) questions as follows:
. Does it harm the laptop to be in high GPU usage in long term ?
. If a hardware change is needed, is there a solution with more reasonable cost ? and small size for portability ?
Looking forward to see many great debates. Thanks.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,211
Message 2 of 21

Re: eGPU for Yoga 920

Shouldn't hurt it, at all. I frequently edit video, as well. Just make sure it's well ventilated. Heat's always an issue with super-thin laptops. I have my three laptops sitting on laptop coolers all day, just to be sure. But it's doing what it was designed to do. If your software overtaxes it to the point of glitching, then you might consider an external GPU. If it's accomlishing your tasks and it's remaining relatively cool, then you obviuosly have the right laptop. Smiley Happy

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
TPham1948
Token Ring
Views: 5,193
Message 3 of 21

Thanks for the confirmation.

The laptop stays cool, as my work area is well ventilated. The CPU, while the GPU is maxed out, only reached 25% or less. Other apps ran reasonable well except files transfer could slow down.

I accepted your reply as 'solved', but does hope to receive more discussions about eGPU at reasonable cost and hopefully, portability. Home-brew or pre-built.

Best,

P.S. [03/25/2018Smiley Very Happyuring last Xmas, Newegg offered AORUS GV-N1070IXEB-8GD External Thunderbolt 3 GPU Dock with Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini Graphics card + Gigabyte GP-FLY Headphone (Automatically added to Cart) @ $519.99 with free shipping. Currently, the price is $599.99 for the next few days without Headphone. Reviews are mixed. Good GPU surely is an expensive item, external or not.

gs20
Punch Card
Views: 3,971
Message 4 of 21

Does this egpu setup accelerate the internal screen as well or only an external screen?

If yes what drivers did you use. The ones that comes from AORUS or stock NVIDIA?

Also is it stable in long hours of use or crashing?

Regards
TPham1948
Token Ring
Views: 3,954
Message 5 of 21

Hi there, I did not purchase any eGPU yet. Still using a Lenovo TB3 dock which powers 2 external 2K 32" monitors, with the laptop screen disabled, for the past 1/2 year.
If I should consider an eGPU down the road, the first thing I'd do would be using an active TB3 cable. Most docks came with an 0.5m TB3 passive cable which may hinder performance and awkward setting.
If you venture into an eGPU in the future, please come back and share your experience.
Cheers,
Straymancer
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,098
Message 6 of 21

So, I just installed the Aorus game box 1080 on my yoga 920. I did research on issues other people were having and did the necessary fixes. There were quite a few tidbits of information I pieced together for a smooth install.   I used the latest Nvidia drivers 399.07 released 8-27-2018. And it's working great so far. I even have it overclocked a bit just to see how it handles it. I set it up without an external monitor but will attach one soon. I'll run benchmarks later also. I'm just happy I'm not banging my head trying to get it to work. I'll be putting together a guide if there's enough interest in it. 

The unit itself is pretty small. I say about the size of 2 bricks on top of each other. comes with a bag and 1ft long thunderbolt3 cable.

I not a real heavy gamer so this setup works for me. I have been in the market for a laptop and this was the winner within my budget.

The 920 is great and the Aorus just puts it over the top IMO.

But feel free to ask questions so I know what to put in my write up.

gs20
Punch Card
Views: 3,087
Message 7 of 21

This awesome news !  Smiley Happy

Please share experiences as it relates to benchmarks.

Does it perform as expected compared to the 1080 expected numbers?

Also whats the difference in performance between the internal display and an external monitor?

Did you have to install any thunderbolt drivers aside from the ones lenovo offers?

Did you have to update anything in the BIOS?

Please share any setup instructions that you have to apply in order to get this working. I am considering same solution. As I said before the lenovo thunderbolt graphics product was an utter disapointment and still on the lookout for something that works and runs stable.

Straymancer
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,079
Message 8 of 21

I will start a write up ASAP. I 've been out of the benchmarking for a while. which benchmarking app is good or which one should i use. I just downloaded 3dmark. I might get a new monitor to go along with it thats a balance for gaming and video editing.

I updated everything i could find to the lastest and greatest through the lenovo vantage and the lenovo website.

should i start a new thread continue it here?

Elfi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,403
Message 9 of 21

Dear Straymancer,

I would like to read your guid but I got no feedback so far.

Could you please share with everybody how you got the Yoga 920 with AORUS GTX1080 to work?

I´m still fithing with BlueScreens and system crash...

It´s not possible to start the machine with pluged Thunderbolt3 and 1080 attached. The system will start followed by bluescreen.

I installed all latest drivers but no change so far.

Please be so kind and share what you did to get it working.

Thanks a lot.

Ras1452
What's DOS?
Views: 1,714
Message 10 of 21

Hi all. Happy New year!

i have similar problems with Razer Core X and 1070. 

Core x is powered, but yoga cannot see the card in it.

Any advice? I believe that I did all driver updates, but ...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors