cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikebtek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 791
Message 1 of 15

..free-upgrade to Win 10 PRO, on 8.1-PRO clean-install, on a YOGA 700, results in Win10-HOME !!??

1) Brand New Lenovo Yoga700 with Windows 10 Home. OK
2)  6 Partitions: 2nd partition is “C:\”. OK
3) ..tried to “upgrade” to Win 8.1 Pro. Failed – as expected.
           (upgrading to a previous edition of Windows is not allowed – even if it is the (“better”) Pro version.)
4) I installed Win 8 Pro (“clean”) to c:\. OK
5)  ..put in valid license for Win 8 Pro. OK
6) ..activated Win8.1 Pro. OK ..
7) ..rebooted. OK
8) ..began upgrade (free) to Win 10 Pro. PROBLEM:

(I tried to insert a jpg here - no way to do that..)

Basically it is the purple "Ready To Install" box saying "Install Windows 10 Home".

……This is weird; it’s saying Win10 “HOME” it should be pro…
9) ..joined [my companies] Domain (PC still running activated Win8.1Pro). OK
10)..rebooted. OK
11)..TRIED AGAIN – SAME ERROR – INSTALLING Home instead of Pro
12)..after some research, it would appear that that half-baked technology “Intel Trusted Platform Module” is “hiding” the Windows 10 Home Key that the Lenovo factory put in there. It would seem that the Windows 10 PRO installer “sees” this key and won’t let me upgrade my legally-installed Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.
13)..I tried formatting the HD to zero. I tried the “clean” command on Disk 0, with “Diskpart”. I went through this whole process for 6 hours yesterday..
14)..Today, I tried clearing the TPP (Intel), in the BIOS.... STILL... No Luck!!
15)..I believe the problem is that the "Home" installationkey is "stuck" in the TPP. Is this even legal?? LOL

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Moderator note: edited subject for model clarity:  Y700 -> Yoga 700

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 781
Message 2 of 15

Re: Lenovo Yoga 700 that just had a clean-install of an activated Win8.1 Pro, results in Win10 HOME.

Hello and welcome,

I don't have a "sane" way to do this but I wonder if you can now upgrade from Home to Pro using the 3rd procedure here: 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-windows-10-pro

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

mikebtek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 732
Message 3 of 15

Re: Lenovo Yoga 700 that just had a clean-install of an activated Win8.1 Pro, results in Win10 HOME.

Z, Thanks for the link! I tried it with high hopes, but it didn't work either...
My gut tells me it has something to do with that Intel "Trusted Platform Module" or something very similar..
Luckily, though, I don't have to "waste" any more time on this issue, because my organization - a non-profit - just got a batch of Win 10 PRO licenses through MS's VLSC - and that just worked...
THANK YOU Zoltan for trying to help!! If you found/find any good links relating to what happened or that Intel TPM, please link here.

Have an Excellent Day!!,

Mike B.

mikebtek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 731
Message 4 of 15

I appreciate any offer of help just as much as I appreciate solutions. I just thought you might want to know "for the record" - the 2 reasons I am not clicking "accept as solution". They are: 1) It didn't solve my problem and 2) I have not been able to rule out the Intel TPM.

But hey Thanks a Ton - that link was VERY informative and it really should have worked. The fact that it didn't work, is why I'm 99% convinced that the "digital entitlement" is "hard-baked" into the firmware (ie. - Intel TPM..) and that that is why trying to get Win 8.1PRO to upgrade to Win10PRO, was being thwarted and resulting in WIN10HOME...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 697
Message 5 of 15

How are you installing?  Do you have windows 10 on a Thumb drive or network share?  Are you trying to run setup from within windows 8.1?  Are other other thumb drives attached?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mikebtek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 686
Message 6 of 15

(FYI: Our school has 2 thumbdrives: One is for 8.1 pro (we have a 100-seat lisence); the other thumb-drive has Win10pro-free-upgrade. We have a mix of old Dells (~3-10 years old) and new Lenovos (~2-year-old AIO's & ~1-year-old yoga2s & yoga 3s & thinkpads). On ALL of these PCs, our method of clean-installing 8.1 pro and then free-upgrading to win10pro ALWAYS succeeds.We have done this to ~(about)10 Dells and ~15 Lenovos - never had this issue/problem.)

Now to answer your questions:

1) I booted the new Yoga700 to its Win 10 home.

2) I ran setup (for 8.1pro) from the only thumbdrive plugged in.

3) I chose to install 8.1 pro to the biggest partition ("the existing c:\ drive").

(Because 8.1 is older than win10home, I can only do a clean-install of 8.1pro)

4) I activated 8.1 pro - no problem.

5) I removed the 8,1pro thumbdrive.

6) I joined our company's domain - no problem

7) I then put in the OTHER thumbdrive with my "media-tool-created" (MS's own method) Win10pro upgrade (the free upgrade version..) and started the upgrade from within the activated and running 8,1pro ... Installation begins..

8) When it gets to the purple ready to install screen - it says ready to install win 10 HOME

9) I've done everything identical to how we did it to our 1-year old yoga3s, but ONLY on these brand-new yoga700s are we having this problem.

10) I'm 99.9% convinced this issue has somethingf to do with MS'a "digital-entitlement" being stuck inside that EVIL (lol) TPM - "trusted platfoem module"

11) Our way of doing things is fairly straight-forward and 100% legal, but it is being thwarted by something - probably the factory-installed key being "baked" into the firmware - presumably the TPM's firmware.

12) I even went "deep" int the "feature-limited" BIOS and found setting relating to the TPM and its store. I tried deleting all stored keys and disabling the feature - nothing worked.

PLEASE tell me how this is happening. For the sake of Lenovo's own research I suggest that they try to re-create my issue. I do NOT trust any mechanism (such as the "trusted"-platform-module, that thwarts the freedom to use hardware as our school requires - especially when I'm not trying to disable anti-pirating mechanisms. The ONLY purpose of the TPM should be to aid the law, when tracking down thieves - it never should have been usurped into a anti-pirating mechanism that thwarts free-legal-use of the hardware.

mikebtek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 684
Message 7 of 15

Also - about this forum: My name had "What's DOS?" under my name (I didn't put it there). Now it has "paper tape" under my name - again I didn't put it there. I tried to change it but there is no way. So, it would appear that somebody is hacking my profile and I do NOT like it. Those "comments" under my name are insulting. HOW DO I STOP IT??!! Thanks in advance for any respectful folks who concur and can help.

I might not be an "IT Expert", but I'm no slouch either; it's just wrong to put those comments there, when whoever did that doesn't really know my level knowledge and experience.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 680
Message 8 of 15

Mike,

Sorry the link didn't help Smiley Sad  I'm not sure I agree with your take on the cause - but that's just a negative WAG on my part since I don't have anything else to offer.  Hopefully someone who has chased the same issue will chime in.

As to the "paper tape" thing: nobody is hacking your profile.  That's an automated "rank" that's based on some magical stuff like number of posts.  It's intended to be a humorous way to track a member's presence here in the forums as I understand it.

There's no way to turn it off or modify it.  It gives most members a chuckle - if they notice it at all.

Regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 675
Message 9 of 15

I doubt TPM is the issue.  The way MS deals with keys and activation on OEM machines seems very strange to me.  I was particularly wondering if you might have had a 2nd thumb drive in a usb port because that screws up activation on oem installs.  I had a similar problem where I had bought a real PRO key and could never use it.  I was told that the activation process was trying to treat my 2nd thumb drive (a simple diagnostic) as the kind of key store used in manufacturing.  I think the issue is with MS's activation process and is not related to what kind of machine it is.  I am not trying to hide anything or passing the buck.  I am not a Lenovo employee.  I suggest the best place to get this answered is the MS technet forum.  I have found some knowledgeable people there.  I would start here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral

BTW, your "description" like "what is DOS" is not intended as a description of your expertise.  It simply reflects your number of posts in this forum.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mikebtek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 669
Message 10 of 15

OK I see what you're saying. My problem is occuring BEFORE activation. It is occurring right at the beginning of the upgrade from 8.1pro to 10pro. The reason I'm convinced that there is something "left behind" in the firmware is because I can do this on ALL machines that did NOT come with an OEM-version of Win10. With regard to win10-free-upgrade, apparently MS does NOT allow the "free" upgrade to ANY version above the version "intended" when the PC was manufactured. That is why a legal copy of 8.1 pro, installed onto a PC in which the OEM "baked" the "digital right" into the firmware, wont "free-upgrade" beyond the version (in this case home) that the oem pre-installed.

In other words, if win10 home comes on a PC, there in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to free upgrade to pro, EVEN IF a legal 8.1 pro has been clean-installed onto the PC. Now - this actually makes sense to me.

The only remaining question is "How is this occurring?" The only reasonable answer is that info is "hiding" someware in firmware. There is no other reason anyone has mentioned. I've read about this on other forums, not specifically relating to my issue.

There ARE settings about "keys" in the BIOS, in the TPM section.

Check out TPM on Wikipedia.

I did start a thread on technet. I'm mikebtek there, too.

My problem has NOTHING to do with activation, although I was pointed in that direction, by the link provided by the first respone to this thread. I'm SURE it has nothing to do with activation, because I never get that far; the problem happens at the beginning of installation, of the free-upgrade from 8.1pro to 10pro. (Sorry to repeat myself, but I want ALL to be sure of the logic (or lack thereof, on MS's part.. LOL) going on here...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors