Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

12-23-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 11 of 98

Re:9i weak wi-fi signal

2020-12-26, 21:25 PM

So the improvement from the driver update didn't stick and I called back and they tried a whole bunch of other things and again it worked for a brief bit, but then stopped again. So now Lenovo is sending the service out to replace my internet card as well. Fingers crossed. I've spent way too many hours on this.

Options

2020-12-30, 16:08 PM

Update:
My Motherboard (and so the WIFI chip) was replaced and now I have at least full WIFI-Signal strength. Before the replacement I could only get up to 1 signal bar in Windows 10. So the main problem seems to be fixed.

Nevertheless it is kind of buggy and the signal strength (and so the speed) is sometimes dropping drastically (no difference with other drivers, os). It is not devasting but nontheless annoying.

What´s the result of your replacement? I´m really curious if you experience the same problems.

Options

2 Posts

01-12-2021

Slovakia

7 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 13 of 98

2021-01-12, 19:51 PM

Hello,

the same for me. Yesterday I got my new Lenovo Yoga 9i 14 and tomorrow I have to send it to service. Lenovo even refused to change my laptop for new one. I have to wait, until service will repair broken wifi module. Shame on Lenovo.

Options

1 Posts

01-20-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 14 of 98

2021-01-20, 2:42 AM

Hi, I am having the same issue and it is driving me crazy!! I got an open box model, thought that was the issue but then I got a brand new one and same problem. My zoom calls drop constantly, the internet is very slow, streaming hardly works, bluetooth drops spotify every 5 minutes. I do not want to have to find another laptop or get a different one but what does lenovo expect us to do.. I was hoping it was something with my wifi, but like others I have tried multiple computers and have perfect signal with each computer except this yoga 9i. 

Options

1 Posts

01-22-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 15 of 98

2021-01-22, 15:55 PM

I purchased a Yoga 9i Shadow Black on 01/04/21.  After receiving the laptop, I noticed that the wifi signal was unstable (2 bars in certain rooms & no bars in certain rooms).  Contacted Lenovo Premium Care which updated laptop remotely.  Didn't help.  Next a 3rd party tech replaced the motherboard (w/ AX201 wifi card) and antennae (scratched leather case), but the laptop would not reboot - tech said that I needed to reinstall Windows 10 Pro.  Got Window 10 Pro on flash drive from Lenovo, attempted reinstall, but laptop remained stuck on "Lenovo" logo & failed to reboot.  Returned laptop for a replacement.  Awaiting replacement to see if wifi card still an issue.  Will return replacement for full refund if encounter same problem.  Other than that, Lenovo customer service & 3rd party tech were very helpful and attentive (other than scratching the leather case).  

Options

1 Posts

01-23-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 16 of 98

2021-01-23, 7:50 AM

Just received my Yoga 9i today. WiFi range is embarrassing. After reading this thread I’m just going to return it. This is the second Lenovo I’ve bought over the years that was defective. 

Looks like I’ll be trying an XPS 13 next. Really wanted to like this one because it’s cheaper than the XPS but a laptop that has WiFi issues isn’t much use to me. 

Also found several reviews on different websites complaining about this. How is this a thing in 2021? Wouldn’t that be one thing you would be sure to get right? 

Options

1 Posts

01-23-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 17 of 98

2021-01-23, 8:28 AM

Same problem on new i9. I have Google wifi pucks throughout home and no reception issues with any devices - phones, tablets, laptops or PCs. After researching wifi 6 (ax) and advantages it looks like the solution is expand coverage with a wifi 6 mesh if I want to take advantage of my gig speed service and wifi. The big disadvantage of wifi 6 is range so be aware. Dumbing down the driver settings helps, but more mesh relays serving wifi 6 seems to be the answer. 

Options

7 Posts

01-28-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 18 of 98

2021-01-28, 8:13 AM

I believe I have an answer to what is going on.  I pulled my 9i apart to upgrade the ssd as soon as i picked it up from best buy.  I'm an electrical engineer by trade and am extremely curious. I have been reading up on the issues with the Wi-Fi and still decided to take a chance.  My new 9I was having an issue connection to my Linksys mesh system with enough satellite's to cover 12000 square feet in a 1500 square foot home.  I decided to open it up anyway thinking maybe it was an issue with antenna placement.  I went ahead and took the bottom off and adjusted the Wi-Fi cables away from some of the components on the board and booted it up.  I noticed that i was picking up  Wi-Fi in the neighbor hood at that point so I was like cool simple fix.  Then once i got it back together the issue returned so I figured it had to be some sort of noise from the bottom cover.  so with the laptop on I started backing out screws.  After an hour and a few **bleep** Lenovo, I narrowed it down to the back screws.  I had to pull the prop that is stuck to the back off to access 3 hidden screws.  I found that pulling the two on the side out and leaving the middle one corrected my issue.  so I put everything back together and still had the issue,  so I started pulling the main torqs screws on the far back sides out and the signal came back.  so I ended up putting down electrical tape over the hole and put the screws threw the electrical tape.  this finally fixed the issue.  It seems that Lenovo has some how inadvertently created a faraday cage in the bottom cover.  I'm calling Lenovo out on this on they should issue recalls and fix these correctly there is defiantly a design flaw in the chassis.  So most likely even if you get a new mother board your going to have the same issues unless they already have made some changes and is not telling.  I can create this issue at will, and repair it.  this is not a hardware or driver issue its a chassis issue. 

Options

6 Posts

02-04-2018

United States of America

11 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 19 of 98

2021-02-13, 15:02 PM

Thanks for the thorough explanation.  I was using WifiInfoview from NirSoft to see that signal strength was terrible: -30 dBm LESS than a Yoga 7i, a Flex-5, a Dell and an HP laptop I had sitting on the same table.  (For those not familiar with decibel math, that's a factor of 1,000.)  So, outside the room with my wireless router, RSSI was -73 or less on the 5GHz channels... so, 802.11ac or ax?  Not a chance.   And 2.4GHz was not much better: RSSI -60 with poor signal quality; Speedtest was only getting 10Mbps.

I opened a ticket, did the re-install the driver N times dance (even though no amount of driver juggling is going to fix a signal strength issue), obviously no go... they replaced the unit: exactly the same behavior on the second unit.  So, this explains why... it's a design or manufacturing flaw.   I'm not inclined to nurse a brand new unit back to health so I'll be returning this one and finding something else... which is sad because, otherwise, I really like the 9i.  C'est la vie.

Options

7 Posts

01-28-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 20 of 98

2021-02-13, 15:15 PM
Yea, I went through 3 units all had some level of the wifi issue. I ended up looking at the signal strengths also it was totally wack how they didn't catch that. There was also an issue wirh the newest xe graphics. If you went to display options and enabled HDR it would green screen the computer and reboot with a windows error. I ended up getting a macbook and installed windows via boot camp. Been happy ever sense.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)