Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

02-13-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 21 of 67

Re:9i weak wi-fi signal

2021-02-14, 2:52 AM

I would love it if you could explain how you fixed the issue in detail, I absolutely love the 9i other than the wifi issue and am more than willing to put in the work to get it up to snuff. Of course, if fixing the issue requires modifying the computer in a way that would adversely affect the thermals or look of the computer then I will just RMA it and see if the issue can be fixed that way.

Options

1 Posts

02-14-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 22 of 67

2021-02-14, 10:12 AM

Hello all,

I just picked up this laptop today from Best Buy and I am having the same issue with WiFi signal. My WiFi signal is extremely low and my Bluetooth had "gaps" and my devices stop functioning for about a second or two. For example, my mouse stops working for a second and then resumes. The same thing with my Bluetooth keyboard, I start typing but then it misses keys or starts typing extra characters.

I have updated all the drivers to the latest and the latest firmware are well but it has not worked. I have a Dell laptop from work with similar specs (10th gen Intel) and that has no issues what so ever with WiFi or Bluetooth.

Is this a hardware issue? I don't see any helpful response from Lenovo support team. This is my first Lenovo laptop and my last, I should have just stuck with Dell or Apple. I will be returning this laptop and cancelling my extended warranty and other accessories I order from Lenovo. This will a huge pain to get all my money back.

Options

14 Posts

12-05-2020

Czech Republic

20 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 23 of 67

2021-02-16, 16:07 PM

Hello, I had a same problem at home, I tried this. Firstly I bought a new WiFi router with WiFi 6 (I had an older) and have minimum problems with connections now. At same time I installed new WiFi and Bluetooth drivers not from Lenovo but from Intel. For me a good solution, no problem with connections - on average 5 PC - 3 laptops on WiFI signal simultaneously. May be a solution for some...

Options

7 Posts

03-18-2017

United States of America

13 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 24 of 67

2021-02-17, 19:27 PM

Do you have a pic of the screws to be isolated? Or, which ones they are?

Options

6 Posts

02-04-2018

United States of America

10 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 25 of 67

2021-02-19, 3:47 AM

I've been trying to get some kind of response from Lenovo... many calls & tickets.  Silence.

Options

1 Posts

02-19-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 26 of 67

2021-02-19, 16:18 PM

I am having the same issue. 

I bought the Yoga 9i new from BestBuy. 

I set up the laptop and it seems to defect the WIFI fine. However it has a really poor WIFI antenna. It has a huge issue with connecting to WIFI if I am not in direct view of the motum. I have a 2.4 and 5 GHz network. I had to go into control panel to limit it to only connect to the 5ghz. My phone and old laptop get great speeds with a strong connection. With the 9i it is just can't get any good speeds. I have tried everything accept uninstalling and installing the drivers for the wireless card. I think it is either a fault driver sent by Lenovo or its a bad design. I am considering RMA'ing it to see if it is a manufacturing fault or a major software fault. 

I don't think as a consumer we would be able to fix this. WE would only be able to report the problem and hope that some executives from Lenovo can find a issue or with enough reports a possible recall. 

Who knows... 

Options

6 Posts

02-20-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 27 of 67

2021-02-20, 19:52 PM

Same issue, but I only studied electrical engineering for three semesters undergrad before switching to something easier! 

On the Hardware Maintenance Manual, can you identify which screw(s) were causing the problem?

I can't find the link to the HMM that Lenovo support gave me, but I'm happy to email the PDF it to you if you don't have it. (At gmail, I'm "Mariposeur".)

Options

4 Posts

01-28-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 28 of 67

2021-02-20, 20:18 PM

This is defiantly a hardware issue.  If you set these next to let's say a macbook or even the dell 7300 or 7600 I can't remember the exact model.  It's almost identical spec wise to the lenovo except for some reason lenovo has the multithreading turned off on this unit by default.  Run a wifi strength program you will see a difference in the signal strengths.  Every unit I tested at bestbuy had some varying degree of this issue some worse than others.  It just depends on how tight the screws are and even possibility the amount of lock tight on the screws.  There is no issues with the antenna or the wifi card.  It's a design flaw on the physical laptop. Lenovo gives some stupid generic response on the best buy web site.  I ended up getting a 13 inch macbook for almost the same price with  1tb and 16 gb of ram and ended up bootcamping it.  Lenovo shoud be ashamed.  I would recommend anyone who bought this laptop to return it.  

Options

4 Posts

01-28-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 29 of 67

2021-02-20, 20:25 PM
If you are looking at the bottom of the laptop. At the back there are two torx screws I doubled up some electrical tape and put a hole through those and gently tightened them back down. Between those are the plastic strip that elevates the laptop it is attached with an adhesive you have to pry that up gently and it will expose three screws I removed the two on the outside under the plastic riser and left the center one. That's the best I could get besides removing the entire bottom.
Options

3 Posts

02-20-2021

Zimbabwe

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 30 of 67

2021-02-20, 23:12 PM

Unfortunately I have the same issue. 5 WiFi devices in on the desk and only the 9i has one bar (all others have 90% signal). If I put the 9i next to the router I have 99%...  The big issue is that I need the laptop for travels and thus the issue should be fixed in general and not by a new router. 

Is there any solution so far or at least a statement by lenovo? I really like the 9i but given the very bad signal it makes no sense for me. I updated the drivers and changed some WiFi settings but this did not really help.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms