Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

03-07-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 41 of 98

Re:9i weak wi-fi signal

2021-03-07, 17:42 PM

Thanks jstuart830 for your post and explanation!  I was about to buy the Lenovo 9i from best buy when I cam across this potential issue.  I'm not opposed to doing some fixes and adjustments to laptops.   I've replaced a screen, many batteries, storage, fans, etc.  What is unclear about the post on resolving the WiFi and the inadvertent faraday cage problem is whether the electrical tape worked as an insulator between the screw and the aluminum chassis preventing the faraday cage effect or do you need to loosen or remove the screws?  If the screws need to be removed (or loosened), how does that affect the integrity of the back cover?  Will the back cover separate from the  top frame on the back left and right side?  

Thanks again, I not sure I would have of thought of this troubleshoot the issue myself.

Options

2 Posts

03-07-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 42 of 98

2021-03-07, 18:12 PM

Removing the screws did not resolve the problem for me.  I took the whole bottom cover off and poked around for loose connections or ???.  Nothing helped.  WiFi and Bluetooth continue to operate erratically at about 1/10th power.  I did some pretty consistent testing with Speedtest comparing WiFi to Ethernet connected directly to my router.  Nothing helped.

I hope that there is more explanation for what's going on here.  I love this laptop but what good is a laptop without WiFi and Bluetooth?  ARRGGHHH

Options

2 Posts

03-07-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 43 of 98

2021-03-08, 1:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  I think I will buy a different laptop.  Erractic unreliable WiFi with no clear resolution is a deal breaker.  

Options

3 Posts

12-23-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 44 of 98

2021-03-08, 1:36 AM

HEY LENOVO HOPE YOUR READING THESE COMPLAINTS! I HAVE OWNED C920 C930 C940 AND NOW A 9I !! YOU HAVE LOST ME AS YOUR CUSTOMER FOREVER NOT OWNING UP TO YOUR SCREWUP ON THE YOGA 9I DESIGN!! WHY DO I HAVE TO REMOVE 3 SCREWS TO HAVE NORMAL WIFI SIGNAL???????????

Options

1 Posts

03-13-2021

Canada

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 45 of 98

2021-03-13, 23:45 PM

Just purchased the 2021 9i i7, 16g, 512g from Best Buy and I thought I was crazy but now I see that I am not.  The computer is beyond amazing in all other regards and when I am 'in range' my WiFi is super fast - 300+Mbps on WiFi5.  I can sort of make get by at home but traveling would be impossible.

For those that removed/loosened screws - do you have any thoughts on why this might help?  I hate to do something that could cause other issues and/or void a future warrantee or return. 

LENOVO: Please reply here with a specific answer to this issue.  As you can see many people are returning product because of defect.

Options

5 Posts

03-29-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 46 of 98

2021-03-29, 13:52 PM

I contacted Lenovo and they said I could remove the rubber bumper and screws without voiding the warranty. 

A few questions for people who've done this modification:

• What size and type of screwdriver do I need?
  • What is the easiest way to get off the rubber strip without damaging it or the laptop?
  • Does the rubber strip go back on ok? Did you have to reply apply any glue?

Options

2021-03-29, 14:15 PM

hey,

thanks for sharing that information. Nice to know that it´s okay for Lenovo to just remove those screws.

You don´t have to remove the rubber strip, you can just take off the backplate, remove those 3 screws and assemble it back! I would strongly not recommend to remove the rubber strip, because I think that it will be kind of loose after that.

For the backplate you need a TORX5, and for the 3 screws a small Philips screwdriver.

Hope I could help you (and maybe others with the same wifi issues).

Best regards

Options

5 Posts

03-29-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 48 of 98

2021-03-29, 21:50 PM

Thank you for this guide! I will try it in the next week or so once I get the TORX screwdrivers.

Options

9 Posts

02-20-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 49 of 98

2021-04-03, 15:24 PM

Yeah, I bought this laptop, and what a PITA. What's a computer without internet, and what's the point of having a light and portable device if I have to stay tethered to ethernet/dock????

If this were fixed, I would recommend the 9i wholeheartedly.  Now, I wish I could still return this (I was too busy with work, pandemic, to fire this up and discover the problem until Best Buy's return period lapsed!)

Options

9 Posts

02-20-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 50 of 98

2021-04-03, 15:43 PM
Unfortunately, I had already tried this on my brand new 9i, and it did not noticeably help- Set as follows: a/b/g mode = (5) DualBand A/G; n/AC/AX = (3) AC; BOTH channel widths = 'auto'; Fat-channel intolerant = disabled; Global BG scan blocking = on good RSSI MIMO power save = NO SMPS roaming aggressiveness = (2) Medium Low Transmit Power = (5) highest UAPSD = Disabled I've tried all the software/driver updates, to no avail. What a clunker-- cannot recommend (which is disappointing-- this is my third yoga since the 2011 Yoga13!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)