Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

Re:9i weak wi-fi signal

2021-06-20, 12:54 PM

Hi... I own the Shadow Black version and I asked for a refund. I am from Chile so I think the wifi issue is kind of global. I was thinking about replacing the Yoga 9i with a Dell XPS 13 or an Asus Zenbook Flip S, but both of them carry the same AX 201 wifi chip, and have issues documented in the web. So i will wait for a new model with and enhanced wifi chip.

Options

1 Posts

06-20-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 72 of 98

2021-06-20, 23:18 PM

Just coming here to say that the fix provided by jstuart830 worked perfectly. Totally fixed my problem. I'd been experiencing the same laundry list of issues - wifi dropping connection, super weak connection, no connection whatsoever, even dropping when when I was in the room directly in front of my router. All totally fixed. I just nudged the back rubber foot off with a guitar pick and used an eyeglass screwdriver to edge all three screws out about 80% of the way. Stuck the rubber foot back on and everything is working perfectly. I'm beyond shocked. Spent three months thinking I'd purchased a piece of crap I wasn't gonna be able to return and uh, now its easily the nicest laptop I've ever owned. Big eff you to Lenovo. Hilariously awful. 

Options

5 Posts

06-18-2021

Netherlands

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 73 of 98

2021-06-21, 7:37 AM
Hi, Have you asked Lenovo to this for you? or have you asked them to read solution provided by jstuart830? I ordered 9i 14' shadow black last friday. It was on 30% discount. overall rating was above 4 points. so I just went and ordered one. later i started to read reviews in details and I am a bit worried now about wifi issue, even though the laptop has not delivered yet. I called technical support team to check whether they are aware of this issue and whether they already provided solution or fixed the problem. Tech dep. was confident that I won't have this issue. I will post another message once I receive the laptop, do all the updates and test it.
Options

9 Posts

02-20-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 74 of 98

2021-06-22, 19:25 PM

After I opened the case, I can live with the wifi. Maybe it's 6-out-of-10, but that's fine for me. I don't need max throughput, and "10" out of ten would be overkill for my purposes. I'm usually near enough to an access point.

I like the rest of the form-factor, function (wish there were USB-C, USB-A on the right side, too), I love the stylus (nothing better, when I actually need it), and the fingerprint reader is better than many (but not perfect).

TL:DR; If you feel comfortable opening the case, get the 9i.  It's a nice machine, overall. 

But still, shame on Lenovo for pretending everything is alright.  It's either a design flaw, or a quality-control/production issue, if some of the metal cases are sealed in a way that kills wifi.

Options

9 Posts

02-20-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 75 of 98

2021-06-22, 19:28 PM

try opening the case-- the chip is awesome when not dampened by the case/cage.

Options

5 Posts

06-18-2021

Netherlands

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 76 of 98

2021-06-22, 21:45 PM

Hi all,

Today I received the new yoga 9i 14".

First thing I did was to update the laptop by following lenovo vantage app and windows update section under settings.

I was busy with the laptop with browsing online, watching netflix and performed wifi speed tests multiple times (both online and by control panel - network and sharing center).

I can compare the speed with my business laptop HP Elite book and second personal laptop Apple macbook pro (10 years old). Yoga 9i performed just above HP and apple (about the same speed rate for uploading and downloading). 

I just wonder whether people experienced wifi issue from the first day or after certain time? I am asking because I do not want to miss 14 days return option and do not want to perform wifi speed test often in these 14 days (not planning to use this new laptop due to busy working period at the moment).

What would be your comments? 

Thanks

Options

5 Posts

03-29-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 77 of 98

2021-06-22, 21:55 PM
What is the manufacturing date (mfg date) of you laptop? You can find it on the sticker on the bottom. I suspect on new revisions of this laptop Lenovo have silently fixed this. My laptop was made in November 2020 and had the fault. The fault would be immediately noticeable from the day you get it, I would try it at a distance and compare it to another laptop, say 2/3 rooms away from your router.
Options

5 Posts

06-18-2021

Netherlands

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 78 of 98

2021-06-22, 22:16 PM
The mfg date is 21 December 2020. I guess there is only a month difference between. I am sitting 7-8 meters far (straight and with 3 walls in between). So far no issue. I sometimes work from flex office where i struggle to catch a strong wifi with HP elite book. I will try with my new laptop tomorrow and will update you.
Options

4 Posts

06-26-2021

Indonesia

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 79 of 98

2021-06-26, 0:22 AM
Hi, I just bought it yesterday, and quickly realized the problem. Which rubber foot should be checked, the upper or lower one?
Options

4 Posts

06-26-2021

Indonesia

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 80 of 98

2021-06-26, 0:33 AM

If I remove the backplate, the warranty seal will be broken. So I prefer to remove the rubber foot

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms