cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crazyoga2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,598
Message 1 of 16

lenovo yoga 3 pro 1370 freezing if moving screen when wifi driver enabled on W10

lenovo yoga 3 pro 1370, 10 months old, upgraded to W10 Sept 2015, installed new drivers for W10, latest BIOS (a6cn58ww), all W10 updates installed.

Here is the problem: since a couple of weeks, the system freezes when I move the screen (but only pulling it towards me) when the Broadcom 802.11ac is enabled. If I disable the Broadcom Network adapter in the device manager everything is fine and can move my screen without problems. Once I enable it BOOM ! I have posted this on other forum, and was able to get some relief (for 24h...) by doing the following:

1) I uninstalled the Broadcom driver and also checked the box ‘delete the driver software for this device’
2) I double clicked on the latest driver (4abe02af) and followed the instructions
3) BUT at a certain point during the re-installation it asked me if I wanted to ‘uninstall’ the driver which I found strange as I had already uninstalled it from the device manager, so I clicked yes and it said ‘uninstall complete’ or something similar
4) Out of curiosity I launched again the installation of new driver, and this time it installed without asking me whether I would uninstall it
5) Rebooted the system, the problem disappeared for about 24h, then re-surface and still on. 

So I am now facing again the old problem. I have tried all of the above for a couple of time but no avail. I have been adivced to restore the system to an earlier point but this means I will have to reinstall all my applications, same if re-installing W10. In fact, I had just restored the system to a January restore point because of a serious booting problem after having installed the latest recommended updates for W10, so I guess this must be somehow connected. Grateful for advice...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,574
Message 2 of 16

Re: lenovo yoga 3 pro 1370 freezing if moving screen when wifi driver enabled on W10

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

One suggestion..... I'm wondering after you straightened out the driver problem if Windows 10 didn't automatically reinstall the problem driver back again.  Windows 10 is good for giving driver updates whether you want them or not.  Try turning off the auto driver updates, reinstall the new driver and then see if that makes a difference.  This article will explain how to stop the auto updates of drivers......

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

crazyoga2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,549
Message 3 of 16

Re: lenovo yoga 3 pro 1370 freezing if moving screen when wifi driver enabled on W10

Thanks Majestic for the swift post !

Unfortunately this did not solve my problem. I have also tried installing earlier drivers manually, and the problem only disappears if I disable or uninstall the device in the device manager. So I start suspecting it might not be the driver itself, but some kind of hardware problem?  Stopping the WLAN service does not stop the problem either. And really weird that it only happens when I pull the screen towards me, if I push it away no problems. Anyone?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,544
Message 4 of 16

It's a long shot, but I'm wondering if the Adaptive Brightness isn't causing a problem.  When you pull the laptop towards you the light intensity is changing which in turn triggers the adaptive brightness.  Try disabling it.  Here is how......

http://www.howtogeek.com/107173/disable-windows-8s-adaptive-brightness-to-fix-dark-screen-problems/

The only other thing I can think of at this point is to try a System Restore back to a point before this all started happening.  Possible a Windows Update you received two weeks ago started the problem.

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,536
Message 5 of 16

First, are you using the wireless to access a network when the problem occurs?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
crazyoga2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,529
Message 6 of 16

unfortunately it did not work, but maybe you are on the right path, what could be other actions triggered when one wants to move the screen towards the operator, like if you want to close it (but just moving a bit already causes the system to freeze...)

crazyoga2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,528
Message 7 of 16

Hi Richk

The problem occurs when the following happens:

The wifi adapter is enabled and:

1) wifi is enabled and connected,

2) wifi is enabled but not connected

3) wifi off,

4) wlan service stopped

5) plane mode

It does not occur only when the wifi adapter is disabled in the device manager or uninstalled

crazyoga2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,522
Message 8 of 16

forgot to mention that I had followed an earlier advice to uninstall all Lenovo software apart from the ones below

1) Lenovo easy camera

2) Lenovo service bridge

3) Lenovo wireless driver

so these 3 are the only ones installed, maybe I did unistall a critical piece of software which is now causing the malfunctioning?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,505
Message 9 of 16

With your latest posts on what software is install and the possibility of a trigger here is my latest choices....

Lenovo Motion Control.  This software has to do with the positioning of the lid (laptop, stand, tablet, etc).  Possibly the laptop movement towards you causes a slight movement of the lid which an internal sensor detects, but does not know how to handle it with the missing control software.   Here is that download..

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Yoga-Series/Yoga-3-Pro-1370-Laptop-Len...

Flight Mode Control.   This one would have a direct effect on the wireless card although I can't say how moving the laptop would be a trigger, but its worth mentioning.  Here is that download....

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Yoga-Series/Yoga-3-Pro-1370-Laptop-Len...

crazyoga2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,485
Message 10 of 16

looks like we are getting closer: while installing the Lenovo Motion Control, the installation stops right before the final process of installing the software and nothing happens (contrary to the Fligh Mode Control which lauched the installation process). So the problem is still here....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors