Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ranbuch1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,246
Message 1 of 10

lenovo yoga 3 pro very slow

I have a new yoga ideapad 3 pro (intel core m 5y71) and I'm very dissapointed with his performance. if I play a youtube video I'm getting lagging when the video quality is above 480p (720p and up) with google chrome.

I'ts sopposed to be a premium laptop but I can't even plug an external screen dou to serious performance reduction.

krishna0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,204
Message 2 of 10

Re: lenovo yoga 3 pro vary slow

Hi ranbuch1.

Try to run extended diagnosic with Lenovo Solution Center and share results with us (it may be screen save). Also try to update all drivers from http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-3-pro-1370-laptop-len...

If nothing helps try to reinstall OS.

Sincerely,

Dominik.

"If only people use their CPU 50% more."
If I make any mistake, please let me know that I could improve my knowledge.
ranbuch1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,189
Message 3 of 10

Re: lenovo yoga 3 pro very slow

Thank you Dominik.

The laptop is running for four days now, don't think ther's a need to re-install the OS.

I've downloaded Lenovo Solution Center, ren a check-up scan and passed it with "No Problems".

The problem is the CPU clock rate. The lower allowd SoC temperture is 65°C what's causing cpu to throttle very fast . . .

As you can see here:
http://cyberparse.co.uk/2015/04/08/analyzing-intel-core-m-performance-how-5y10-can-beat-5y71-the-oem...

Lenovo has chosen to go on lower temperature and lower performance. I would rather you'll let me decide what's best for me and my needs.

CPU can go up to 2.9Ghz but as soon as he gets above 65°C his throttling back to 1.2Ghz witch is hardly enough.

The way he is configured even the 5y10 is beating him.

Flanimal
Token Ring
Views: 3,158
Message 4 of 10

ranbuch1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,150
Message 5 of 10

Thank you Flanimal.
I'll check it out.

Still, there has to be a way to control the CPU throttling.
rikjohnscott
What's DOS?
Views: 2,786
Message 6 of 10

Hi, I have the exact same problem with my Yoga 3 Pro. Bought it for business use; outlook, word, excel, dropbox, travel, etc, but have found performance to be really poor and horrendously slow, particularly when online. I thought it may have a virus but have run McAfee AV scan several times, and also done the one touch optimisation to no avail. Similarly, I thought that installing firefox may have helped or reducing the amount of data on the HD (was 70GB used out of 100GB, reduced to about 50GB).

Really poor Lenovo. Unless you have a really valid explanation I will be switching to another brand of laptop as soon as possible. Regards, Richard.

jimawe
What's DOS?
Views: 1,760
Message 7 of 10

Yes!! Extemely slow.   Very dissatisfied.

Ranger76
Paper Tape
Views: 1,681
Message 8 of 10

I am in 100% agreement, 3 clean re-wipes and still cannot use facebook or Youtube
LEgovNOVO
Paper Tape
Views: 768
Message 9 of 10

Disable DPTF to unlock the restricted performance of Yoga 3 Pro Core M-5Y70  processor

Go to Bios and disable DPTF

(Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework is a "solution to help enable thin, quiet, and cool platform designs". But as we can see it works awful)

Your laptop will be hotter, but it will work like a normal PC, capable of playing video on YouTube in Chrome 1080p 60 fps (on high performance mode, which you can choose clicking on battery icon in tray)

Before disabling:

Frequency on high load drops to 0.5 - 0.8 GHz, CPU usage stays on 20-70%. Laptop slows down extremely and become unusable. Can barely play any youtube video, extremly slow.

After disabling:

Frequency on high load stays on 1 - 2.6 GHz, CPU usage up to 100%. Laptop works as a normal PC, never slowing down. The bottom cover of the laptop becomes hot.

also i updated bios, not sure if it works on previous bios version.

Fredsvv
What's DOS?
Views: 731
Message 10 of 10

I just have to thank you so much! Your solution is the only one that fixes the problem well. After reading many articles and trying various solutions, only yours has the effect we want! THANK YOU!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors