Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jed1308
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,276
Message 1 of 12

lenovo yoga 500 14 - IHW Black Screen When Unplugged

Hi guys,

My first message here and unfortunately, it's not for the coolest reason.

I have a Yoga 500-14 IHW that works perfectly well when plugged, but I noticed a few days ago that as soon as I unplugged it from the USB type power port, the screen suddenly turns black. I thought it was a question of brightness, drivers, windows power plan, etc. I have also tried all the solutions here (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/ll06_en/page/6/thread-id/28087), without success once again.

One thing that I noticed and that bothers me a lot is the fact that once it is unplugged, if I try to power on the laptop, the screen is black and no Lenovo spash screen appears. The computer is working, the lights are on, I can hear the fans of the graphics card, but no screen. And of course, as soon as I plug in the power cable, the screen lights up and I'm in front of the Windows login page. If I want to access the BIOS, I can only do so once it is plugged. If I want to start from a live cd, I can only do it once plugged.

All of this leads me to think that my laptop screen is broken and no longer works when it is unplugged. Is it a battery problem? The battery is at 100% right now, but is there perhaps a more specific test to be done on the battery?

I'm waiting for good ideas to check what else is going on. Otherwise, do you confirm that I will have to return the computer in warranty?

Thank you very much,

Jed13

Danidd
Paper Tape
Views: 997
Message 2 of 12

Re: lenovo yoga 500 14 - IHW Black Screen When Unplugged

I also have this problem. Dud you ever find out what causes it?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 981
Message 3 of 12

That sounds like the circuitry in the battery or the power board has an issue. It's reporting a full charge, but not realizing AC has been disconnected. Or, the battery, itself, is not properly connected. 

Some things to try: (back everything up, first, and create a restore point. Also helpful to have a bootable recovery usb drive that you've tested to make sure it works)

From Device Manager under battery, uninstall Microsoft's ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and reboot. Windows should see that and reinstall it. 

If that doesn't work, and it's within your skill set, disconnect AC, remove the battery, press and hold the power button for a full minute to clear the CMOS. Reconnect the battery and start the computer. (remember to observe all the usual precautions when working inside of a computer)

If you don't want to open the computer, disconnect AC and hold down the power button for a full minute. Reconnect and restart.

If those don't work and you're sure the battery is properly connected, it's time to try replacing the battery. If THAT fails, it's time to send it in.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Danidd
Paper Tape
Views: 979
Message 4 of 12

@Doctordon wrote:

That sounds like the circuitry in the battery or the power board has an issue. It's reporting a full charge, but not realizing AC has been disconnected. Or, the battery, itself, is not properly connected. 

Some things to try: (back everything up, first, and create a restore point. Also helpful to have a bootable recovery usb drive that you've tested to make sure it works)

From Device Manager under battery, uninstall Microsoft's ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and reboot. Windows should see that and reinstall it. 

If that doesn't work, and it's within your skill set, disconnect AC, remove the battery, press and hold the power button for a full minute to clear the CMOS. Reconnect the battery and start the computer. (remember to observe all the usual precautions when working inside of a computer)

If you don't want to open the computer, disconnect AC and hold down the power button for a full minute. Reconnect and restart.

If those don't work and you're sure the battery is properly connected, it's time to try replacing the battery. If THAT fails, it's time to send it in.

Spoiler
I tried most of those things already apart from checking the power board which I'll do when I have a moment. On battery power the computer still works but the screen is blanked and the backlight is off. When I plug in the AC the screen returns. I also tested by playing a youtube video. The sound continued working and when I replaced the AC after a 30 minute run on battery with uninterrupted sound coming out of the speakers there was still 55% charge and the video was playing as normal. Could there be a sensor problem in the battery array?
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 976
Message 5 of 12

I didn't realize the computer was still functioning. 

And I also imagine you've checked and rechecked Windows' power settings under "display."

Silly, but you might also check the brightness slider for "battery." No idea why, but Windows sometimes changes that on its own.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Danidd
Paper Tape
Views: 972
Message 6 of 12

I checked that also. Interestingly the problem also occurs on boot. If I power up with battery and connect AC after a few minutes the computer shows a completely normal login screen even though it was blank during boot

ezebecher
What's DOS?
Views: 786
Message 7 of 12

Hi!

I m having the same problem! Did you fix it?

The only difference is that it all started after I sent it for a screen replacement after it cracked (it worked perfectly while cracked).

I know I should take it back to those guys, but I just dont have the time and want to see if there is anything I could do back home.

Danidd
Paper Tape
Views: 784
Message 8 of 12

I tried every thing but the screen only works with the AC plugged in although an external screen works even on battery power

ezebecher
What's DOS?
Views: 781
Message 9 of 12

Thanks for the input!

I guess I’ll take it back to the guys who replaced my screen....

I’ll get back if I could fix it.

Danidd
Paper Tape
Views: 765
Message 10 of 12

From what I can tell from the various websites the problem is with the battery circuitry on the mainboard and nothing to do with the screen

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors