Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NatFyfe
What's DOS?
Views: 1,097
Message 1 of 8

lenovo yoga 520 Flickering screen

Laptop randomly goes into a wild flicker just depending on its mood becomes unusable, read various threads online about this issue none have fixed my problem or even come close.

This is by far the worst laptop i have bought in my life it's so bad i can't even sell it 

IamSKG
Paper Tape
Views: 790
Message 2 of 8

Re: lenovo yoga 520 Flickering screen

My yoga 520 screen is also flickring ...what to do to overcome this issue...I bought this machine just 2 months back....kindly support

@NatFyfe 

Keyboard_Cowboy
What's DOS?
Views: 717
Message 3 of 8

Got mine fix by uninstall the windows 10 update (but not the security update) and re-install all the drivers to the factory version.

Highlighted
Stocky16150
Paper Tape
Views: 572
Message 4 of 8

I have 2 Lenovo Yoga laptops both less than 1 year old and both have the screen flicker problem. Absolutely worst computers I have ever owned. My 7 year old Dell is now back in service. Lenovo customer service treat owner like **bleep**.
Stocky16150
Paper Tape
Views: 571
Message 5 of 8

If it still under warranty you have to send it to Lenovo. Because they are such nasty folk to deal with they will say it is your fault and they won't fix it under warranty. This design flaw has been known for more than 5 years.
NJASound
Paper Tape
Views: 188
Message 6 of 8

Thought i'd post the solution i've found for this on my Yoga 520. I bought the laptop reconditioned and it developed the screen flicker, fade out to black, ghosting issue after around a month. First did it when using an Excel spreadsheet and then started doing it on certain webpages. Didn't do it with word or any other microsoft office program, only excel. Problem was completley intermittent, sometimes it would do it until i closed whatever program casued it and sometimes the screen would not work properly until I restarted via the power button. I tried everything, updated all drivers, uninstalled programs, updated the bios etc. Occassional it wouldn't do it for a week or 2 and I thought it was fixed, alas it would always return. 

I put up with this for a few months and eventually reset Windows 10 which fixed the problem brefily before it returned again. I then thought it was a hardware problem so I took the back off, couldn't see anything wrong. I then thought about a hard reset so unplugged the battery and held down the power button for 20 seconds before plugging it all back in. This does actual fix the problem in the same way that resetting windows did, however after a week or 2 the problem returned.

Eventually by pure chance I loaded the spreadsheet that originally caused it without being connected to the internet and found the screen didn't flicker at all. I then realised that One drive wasn't connected and after a few tests found that when excel was connect to one drive the screen flickered, when it wasn't it didn't. I use onedrive to share my docs folder across 2 laptops for work and found this to be the problem. This has also fixed the screen flicker on websites so I guess it's something to do with the microsoft onedrive software interacting with either the internet or different programs.

Hope this helps.

JamesPB
What's DOS?
Views: 131
Message 7 of 8

I know this is an old thread, but I had this issue, and I have now solved it.

Lenovo Yoga laptops have this odd function where it can detect the light around you so it automatically changes the brightness of the screen. You need to boot the laptop in BIOS and turn off this option, and the flickering will stop. 

I can't remember the exact details, but there is a guide online if you google it. 

Hope this helps!!

JamesPB
What's DOS?
Views: 130
Message 8 of 8

It seems like you do not need to go to bios. 

Follow this guide:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/legion-series/legion-y520-15ikbm/80...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors