Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erzund
Punch Card
Views: 52,610
Message 11 of 48

Re: two finger tap right click not working

I have the same problem that Dellaster described: two-finger touch goes away permanently when I disable edge-swipe (although two-finger click still works).  Thanks pinpointing this problem Dellaster!

Uninstalling the Synaptic driver and reinstalling new version linked by Agotthelf recovers the ability to use two-finger tap, but it goes away again when I disable edge swipe.  I have not tried the driver described by djklmnop but according to Dellaster the problem remains with that driver version as well.

Would be great if this problem could be fixed!  I had too many problems with accidental edge-swipes from the touchpad so I decided to turn it off, but I really miss using two-finger tap and it would be great to not have to choose between the two options that I want.

As a side note: after the driver unintall and reboot, I had to navigate through windows with the tab and arrow keys because I couldn't click using the touchpad or the touchscreen (although I could still move the pointer around with the touchpad. . .)  If anyone else has this problem: don't panic, it is possible to navigate all the way through sign-in to the start screen to desktop to the .exe file to reinstall the driver.

Dellaster
Punch Card
Views: 52,605
Message 12 of 48

Actually, I haven't had a chance to try this very latest driver. It was the one before that didn't help. Smiley Wink

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 52,580
Message 13 of 48

Hello erzund,

confirmed. Same here... the ability went away after disabling the edge swipes and a short stand by.

And the uninstalling routine, needs two cold start, to finish the uninstallation.

After the first reboot, the new driver didn´t install correctly.

Best
Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

DrSammy
Paper Tape
Views: 52,524
Message 14 of 48

I haven't had a chance to try the new driver.  But, I found a possible solution.  It's not great, but it gets the job done.

Download TwoFingerScroll.  It's an open source software that enables the extra gestures in Synaptec trackpads.  http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scroll/

It doesn't work great.  However, if you leave all of the Synaptec features on that you want and disable everything in TwoFingerScroll except for two-finger right click, it'll work.

Basically, the Lenovo drivers handles everything except for two-finger right-click.  TwoFingerScroll handles that and nothing else.

Hope this helps.  I personally have having something else run in the background, but... until we have a better solution....

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 52,516
Message 15 of 48

Hello DrSammy,

you should try the new driver really.

The issue only can happen, if you uncheck the edge swipe function.

I left it checked and set the palm check control switch just one step to the right.

Works for me, till a whole week, starting, restarting and stand by and the two finger click feature is still working.

By the way the new driver control panel has got a dedicated control panel for the two finger click feature.

Best
Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

DrSammy
Paper Tape
Views: 52,503
Message 16 of 48

Hi Andreas,

Just tried it.  Yes, it works!  The only drawback now is if you have edge swipe unchecked.  Although, I unchecked edge swipe and it didn't happen to me.

Nice to know there's an update that works!

So, my earlier solution would be a plan B if for whatever reason someone still needs it.

Dellaster
Punch Card
Views: 52,467
Message 17 of 48

Even after rebooting five or six times after uninstalling the Synaptics driver ("cold boot" is holding the power button down when turning off, yes? I did that several times), the new one fails to install. Says it needs the 64-bit "dpinst" and to contact my computer's manufacturer for that.

I'm back to the originals.

Ted

DrSammy
Paper Tape
Views: 52,453
Message 18 of 48

That is really weird. Maybe something messed up the Windows Drivers Kit?blogs.technet.com/b/svengruenitz/archive/2008/07/02/driver-installation-and-updating-made-easy-dpinst-exe.aspx

If that doesn't work, you may have to do a refresh or whatever it's called.
thunberg
What's DOS?
Views: 52,267
Message 19 of 48

So after spending a few hours on this, here's the solution if you want to disable Edge Swipe while still retaining two finger tap right click while using the Lenovo provided drivers to maintain the unique yoga features:

1. Disable Edge Swipe via the normal Synaptics settings: Control Panel -> Mouse -> Device Settings -> Settings -> Edge Swipe -> Uncheck.

2. To manually re-enable two finger tap, hit windows key + x, select "run", enter "regedit" then hit enter, and on the left pane browse to the following location:

HKEY_USERS\<SID name for your current user>\Software\Synaptics\SynTP\TouchPadPS2

3. In the right pane double click on 2FingerTapAction and change the value to a "2" for right click, or a "4" for middle click (I use 2). Also double click on 2FingerTapPluginID and clear any value it may have.

4. Next in the right pane, and this is what disabling Edge Swipe actually changes which breaks everything, find the MultiFingerTapFlags key and change it from a 2 to a 3 (it's originally a 3 before you disable Edge Swipe).

5. As a bonus, if you want to enable three finger tap for middle click, double click on 3FingerTapAction and change the value to a "4", also clear any value for 3FingerTapPluginID and set 3FingerTapPluginActionID to "0".

Unless you have multiple users, your SID is most likely the longest string, for instance mine is "HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1669614795-426116693-2193257368-1003." Enjoy.

Highlighted
Dellaster
Punch Card
Views: 52,256
Message 20 of 48

Thanks for spending those hours, thunberg! It works perfectly for me and only took a few minutes.

Should add that you need to restart to enable the changes.

Ted

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors