08-28-2020

AF

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 4

who else has had problems with lenovo? i want to here your story please

2020-09-12, 4:40 AM

I am very sorry if you ran across my other thread,that no one has commented on buy the way, but, this one is going to be a more detailed explaining of the complete bs i am have having to deal with bc a large company thinks they can do whatever they wish without any repercussions. If anyone thinks tht im just b....ing, you are absolutely correct and you would too. here we go.                                                            I have actually loved my c940 15.6, lets get that straight and was for the most part very happy with it, exclude the battery life of which i get around 3 hrs and its dead.                                                               August 28th, i remember bc it was acouple days after hurricane Laura hit Louisiana, which was suppose to hit us in southeast texas until a last minute change in direct so thought and prayers for you guys and that is from the bottom of my heart. anyways august 28th, im sitting at the house with power lines down so i grab my Len to go out to the garage to work on a cad drawing bc we still had internet and when i grab it to my surprise it is hot. Im not talking about oh my laptop is getting hot, im talking my f-ing lap top was HOT, hot enough that to cause burns on 4 finger tips, straight line burns from the inlet grill. Im a welder and ive been burnt before but never would have thought a laptop would do this so when i say i was burnt, im not talking touvhing to hood of your car on a hot summer day.                                    I run and grab a welding glove and run it outside and immediately start blowing compressed air through the inlet fins to try to cool it down bc i was worried the battery was going to explode or catch fire bc it was close to one of the two,ala samsung edge phone a few years back. So while  blowing air i try to turn it on and nothing. the power button led is flashing blue. i call support and cant explain to the lady bc she cant understand my english and for that matter i can hardly understand hers. i am born and raised in southeast texas so my english pronunciations are good, it wasnt me. so im on the phone with her trying to explain how serious this is and she acts like im calling like its no big deal. i finally get her to understand and im put on hold to find a supervisor. she comes back and says one will call me back as soon as we hang up. no one ever called me. the following couple weeks i called and was hung up on before talking to anyone then yesterday talked to a guy and said a suprvisor was going to call me in 15-20 minutes and that call never came. fast forward today and another hour phone call and was told that one would call me back within 24 48 hrs and i said thats fine but if i do not recieve a call im getting a lawyer bc this is a joke being run around like this especially when a customer has something like this  happen tp them bc of a defective product. and they have known something has been going on for a while bc of so many people talking about power management but i never thought it could be this serious. he says hold let me see something and when comes back he says someone will call me by the end of the day and guess what? no call has been made so that tells me lenovo thibks that they can do whatever they want and get away with it. i will call tomorrow and sunday and if nothing i will be calling a lawyer first thing monday morning. im not that type of person but its the principal but i have gave them every sigle chance to make ir right. the picture below right after i turned off the air when trying to cool it and even after i cooled it down someit was still 160 degrees so imagine what the temp was 5 minutes earlier?

Options

7 Posts

09-19-2020

US

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:who else has had problems with lenovo? i want to here your story please

2020-09-20, 10:59 AM

The same exact thing happened to me, but it was only the second time that I used it. Brand new laptop, same on yoga c940 15 inch. I had only used it once before to just do general setup and updates. The second time using it, I installed Discord and was on a video call on discord for about 2 hours. After that call ended I closed the laptop and put it on my bed and went to do other things. A few hours later I tried to pick it up and it was literally like touching a hot stuff. I grabbed a towel to pick it up and ran it over to my air conditioner to cool it off because I was worried it would be permanently damaged. It wouldn't turn on or do anything, so I held down to the power button to hopefully shut it down, and was scared to turn it back on until the next day. The next day it was working fine, and I went through and changed a ton of settings based on googling. The most important ones I think are:

1. I changed the settings so that it goes into hibernate and not sleep when closing the lid while running on battery (I left it to go to sleep when plugged in because I generally never leave it plugged in when unattended anyway

2. Changed discord settings to not open on startup (and changed pretty much all the pre-installed programs to not run on startup either)

also I made sure to go to the windows updater and make sure everything was up to date, as well as the Lenovo vantage thing to make sure everything there was up to date

Since then I've only used it once or twice, but it seems to be working fine, except that last night I accidentally left it plugged in and then I was gone all today and when I got home I went to touch it and it wasn't hot like last time, but it was warm to the touch, which was kinda strange since I hadn't used it in about 24 hours by that point, I'm worried that it heated up super hot while I was gone and had just had all day to cool off. Also when I opened the lid, it had also shut down during this time and I had to push the power button to turn it on. (this has happened a few times where I close the lid, leave it for a while and when I open it I have to press the power button to turn it on, even before I changed the settings to hibernate instead of sleep, but usually it brings me to login screen, this time it had fully shut itself down) 

I posted an even more rambling version of this story as a reply to a different thread that seemed to have the same issue: 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-C940-Overheating-in-Sleep-Mode/m-p/5031932?page=1#5144345

that's where I saw the idea to change it to hibernate rather than sleep mode....

not sure what to do, since I've heard from several sources that support is a real pain to deal with, and otherwise I am fairly happy with the laptop (a few other minor glitchy things, but I haven't used it enough yet to know if they are going to be common occurrences) and I seem to have fixed things, but am I constantly going to have to be on the lookout for heat issues? I was just extremely alarmed because I have NEVER had any electronic device get that hot, ever ever, and I'm worried over time it will keep happening and eventually damage the computer. I ran the hardware check from the Lenovo vantage app, but idk how thorough that thing is. I'm worried that worst case it will literally catch on fire or something, which is never a concern I've ever had to entertain, especially with a brand new device, or that it'll work for a while and then break right after my warranty is up (I didn't purchase extended coverage so that's only one year from now)

So yeah, not sure what I really can, or should do.....kind of just discouraged at this point I chose a Lenovo and only a Lenovo for longevity and quality but this is very alarming.....

Options

1 Posts

09-20-2020

EE

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-09-20, 19:42 PM

I just had that similar experience. 2 weeks ago I also brought a brand new C940 15".  I like to put into sleep mode with power button also. But now I was just couple of minutes away and when I came back  I tried to turn it on again but it wouldn't. Grabbed it to look what's going on and experienced also that burning sensation near where the battery is I guess. It just went hotter and hotter. Then I hold that power button down to force shutdown and it finally restarted after couple of tries. When it turned on then immediately fans started and quite quickly it cooled down.

Right now I'm also kind a cautious. Who knows when its gonna start burning.

Options

7 Posts

09-19-2020

US

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-09-21, 2:35 AM

update: what I first described happened a week ago, now every time I use this laptop (which so far still hasn't been a ton, I bought it as a secondary laptop so I'm gradually transitioning to working on it), whenever I close to lid (which I have set to hibernate when I do so), the next day when I open the lid back up it doesn't turn on the screen and I have to press the power button to turn it back on, and when I do so it shows the lenovo logo then brings me to the login screen, I'm assuming this means it shutting down? Is this normal?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete