Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gstepic
Punch Card
Views: 320
Message 1 of 10

with YP2 I cannot listen to music when connected to an external monitor

I am using the hdmi connection for my external monitor and when connected I cannot get any sound from my YP2. It works just fine when connected to a TV so I am assuming the sound signal has to be amplfied by the tv or receiver. A monitor typically does not have any sound amplification, I think, so my guess is this is the problem. I was hoping I could at least listen to music when earphones are plugged in, but I can't.

Another minor problem I have using the YP2 connected to my monitor is I cannot get the full resolution of the monitor, I will update this thread with the actual montior (it is an Asus 27" professional grade monitor with something like  2500x1600 resolution, I cannot remember the actual numbers) model number. The best I can get with the YP2 is around 2000x1200.

Gary

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 316
Message 2 of 10

Re: with YP2 I cannot listen to music when connected to an external monitor

The HDMI carries the sound to the external display. It work on a TV because the TV has speakers.  I am assuming your monitor has no speakers.

You can always enter control Panel> Sounds> Devices and set the default device for the sound.

....Or buy an HDMI without sound carrying capabilities. This will prevent the computer from shutting off your computer's sound.

For problem #2, does your monitor and cable support HDMI 1.4 standards? The computer seems capable of spitting out 1800p resolution (from what I have read).

gstepic
Punch Card
Views: 311
Message 3 of 10

Thanks, sounds like a very simple solution.

Gary

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 305
Message 4 of 10

After a bit more research,

1.4 supports 4096×2160p30 (this what the yoga can push out).

Sounds like your monitor or cable only supports 1.2 standards at 1920×1200p60.

gstepic
Punch Card
Views: 291
Message 5 of 10

This is the montior I have -

http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-27-Inch-LED-lit-Professional-Graphics/dp/B009C3M7H0/ref=pd_tcs_subst_pc...

I get slightly more than the 1920x1280 but less than the specs of the montior. Also, I cannot seem to find any hdmi cables without sound. I looked at my windows 8 control panel and am not sure which settings to change.

Gary

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 288
Message 6 of 10

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 286
Message 7 of 10

On the link you gave me, it said "* 2560x1440 WQHD resolution supported with select graphics cards only. Check graphic card information for support details." ------------> If you don't get that, what cable do you have?

gstepic
Punch Card
Views: 282
Message 8 of 10

I will check the link, actually the sound was an easy fix. I did not see any other option because I did not have laptop connected to the monitor, once it was connected I saw the option to change it so now I can listen to music while using the external monitor. Again, thanks for the help.

From the montior specs I should be able to get more resolution than the 2048x1152 maximum amount allowed with my control panel. I will try calling Asus. When connected to my desktop I get the 2560x1440 resolution the monitor can support.

Gary

gstepic
Punch Card
Views: 277
Message 9 of 10

It is the graphic card that comes with the Yoga Pro 2 and the HDMI cable came with the Asus monitor, and it does get the max resolution when connected to the desktop.

Even though the Yoga Pro 2 supports a higher resolution than the external monitor mabye it does not have the power to drive the larger monitor.

Gary

gstepic
Punch Card
Views: 263
Message 10 of 10

Apparently I cannot get full resolution of monitor

I spent quite a bit of time with Lenovo support. They got on my computer remotely, replaced the display driver, and still the same problem. It appears the problem is the resolution can only be adjusted by increments. The highest was 3200x1800 and the next lowest was 2000x1500 and then 2000x1000 (I am rounding the last two). So the computer resolution defaults to the 2000x1000 resolution when hooked up to the external monitor.

For all practical purposes this is fine. I rarely have to do any photo editing that is that critical and if I need the higher resolution I can edit with my desktop.

Gary

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors