Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

11-12-2013

Finland

6 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 1 of 6

ymc service makes processor load go up when display is flipped (Yoga 13 and Windows 8.1)

2013-11-12, 7:19 AM

I noticed that the CPU load increased considerably when I flipped the screen over 190 degress. Disabling the ymc service (C:\ProgramData\YogaSmartSwicth\Server\x64\ymc.exe) in services.msc solved the issue, but since ymc is responsible for disabling the keyboard and mousepad I of course have the issue keyboard/mouse being enabled when the display is flipped.

I'm not fully sure, but I think the issues started after upgrading to Windows 8.1. The load was especially notable problematic when having a Native Instruments Traktor S2 DJ USB controller connected and running the Traktor software.

This could be the same issue as http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/choppy-video-when-keyboar-is-flipped-around-Lenovo-Yoga-13-with/m-p/1308587

Does Lenovo have any fix for ymc.exe? Why does the load go up when the keyboard/mouse are disabled?

Options

7 Posts

11-12-2013

Finland

6 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re: ymc service makes processor load go up when display is flipped (Yoga 13 and Windows 8.1)

2013-11-12, 9:34 AM
The issue can easily be demonstrated by playing the game Birzzle that came preinstalled on the Yoga. Playing the game with ymc stopped or having the display in normal laptop mode runs fluently. With ymc running and the display in tablet mode makes the game choppy.

I did not have this issue before upgrading the Windows 8.1, that's why I assume the issue was caused by the upgrade.

Any suggestion for a fix? This is a really annoying issue.
Options

62 Posts

10-20-2013

United States of America

111 Signins

1286 Page Views

• Views: 1286
  • Message 3 of 6

Re: ymc service makes processor load go up when display is flipped (Yoga 13 and Windows 8.1)

2013-11-12, 14:58 PM

Yes, instead of disabling ymc service, try disabling the Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework (DPTF) via the BIOS. For some reason in 8.1, the DPTF configuration throttles the CPU way back in non-laptop configurations. I did not see this happening in 8.0, although I only had my Yoga 11s for a week or two before the upgrade. Search here for other experiences with DPTF.

Options

7 Posts

11-12-2013

Finland

6 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2013-11-19, 8:51 AM
I want an official fix from Lenovo, so I reverted to the factory image with Windows 8.
Options

43 Posts

10-29-2013

new york

87 Signins

476 Page Views

• Views: 476
  • Message 5 of 6

2014-03-05, 22:01 PM

Has this issue been adressed?   I'm having the same issue.  And I didn't realize that the poor performance always happened when I was in any mode other than in laptop mode.  FWIW I'm using Traktor DJ software and it becomes unusable because of this.  Thanks

Options

7 Posts

11-12-2013

Finland

6 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2014-03-06, 7:32 AM

I don't think it has been officially addresses, but as btitus above and others say: disable Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework (DPTF) in the BIOS. It really helps, although it would be nice to know what DPTF does and cons there are in disabling it. I couldn't find any answer on the net.

I also initially noticed the issue with Traktor DJ which made it unusable. It's really nice to have the Yoga with the keyboard bent down infront of the Traktor S2.

After noticing the issues I revered back to the default Windows 8, but later upgraded to 8.1 and disabled DPTF, which works.

I'm surprised that there is no official solution or recommendation from Lenovo. Or is there?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)