Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

137 Posts

12-08-2012

hawaii

852 Signins

3449 Page Views

• Views: 3449
  • Message 1 of 1

yoga 13, my personal win 8.05

2013-10-21, 10:34 AM

Here is my super simple alternative to improving win8.0 on yoga13 classic instead of the wiin8.1 driver extravaganza... whatdya think?

I heard the desktop environment was not improved at all in 8.1. So I set up a way to have win8.0 boot directly into my desktop, and bring up IE browser with no interventions. Assuming the 8.1 drivers are worse or equal to 8.0, then I figure I have attained the desktop equivilent of 8.1 with no pain. I guess 8.1 made it simpler to access desktop, but the below works for 8.0.

The trick is to set up a task scheduler from the control panel to bring up explorer.exe upon your login (I had to tick an extra box so it do this both under battery or ac). This has the side effect of popping you into desktop, but unfortunately doesn't work for IE. So I put IE shortcut in the startup folder that gets automatically invoked. This works... it takes a while to bring up IE with my various preprogrammed tabs, but I find I can click on it right away in spite of the whirlygig symbol.

So what do you think, for someone who has no need of the metro upgrade? My priority is the desktop side must stay operative without driver hiccups. I am sure the metro environment is much improved in 8.1 but for user friendliness I instead use android or apple for the time being.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms