Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YogaNewbie
Paper Tape
Views: 4,411
Message 931 of 938

Re: yoga 13 wifi issues

I recently solved a speed problem on my Yoga 13. As with many reports, I had seriously decreased internet speed when lid is down. I bought a wireless access point and installed it in the remote basement room that I normally use for the Yoga.  At the other end of the house I have a Netgear 4.5 router.   In the basement room I added the Netgear AC750 (it can be used either as a Range Extender or an Access Point--do the latter). So now, compare: my normal WIRED access at the router and on other machines is about 55 mbps (Comcast Blast). After installing the AC750, my Yoga's wireless access, which connects to the 745 instead of router, is now 50 mbps--whether lid is up or down!  What's really cool is that the AC745 simply plugs into the wall, so it can be moved AT ANY TIME if need be--out on the porch, wherever--and back to the remote basement room. Because I like the Yoga A LOT, and I purchased it half-price (refurbished) the extra $90 for the Access Point was well worth it. The mobile Access Point also comes in handy for family who visit and watch movies on their stinking tablets :--)

esaud1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,320
Message 932 of 938

My problem is with Yoga 2 Pro and we are on our 2nd one, both broke on the 1st day.  Is this the right forum to see if we are actually using it correctly?

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,293
Message 933 of 938

I think you wanna look at the yoga 2 pro thread: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Re-Yoga-2-Pro-Wifi-Problems/td-p/1452437

Yes, the Yoga in general has wifi problems.
esaud1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,272
Message 934 of 938

Thanks.  The WiFi link is really not my problem.  I will keep looking.  The problem is the screen just blacks out for no reason.  The computer is 2 days old.

ctcannon
Paper Tape
Views: 3,798
Message 935 of 938

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned by others, when I disabled RunSwUSB.exe, I got 2gb of my 4gb of ram. So infuriating!
ezking
What's DOS?
Views: 3,212
Message 936 of 938

As an IT consultant, my mothers Yoga13 started having these same problems, and was brought to me as usual to figure it out.

So far, the only explanation I could come up with, is that the WiFi card is a bit under powered, as a result, I applied multiple fixes that were listed here that effected the laptops ability to control power to the device, and the laptops ability to enable or disable the wifi card.

Next, I disabled the bluetooth as she doesnt use it, and updated all the drivers.

Then I configured her cheap router, increasing the hz of the signal, and setting the channel, making sure that everything on her network was static as far as the laptop was concerned, and that the router would not try to auto switch channels or any adresses.

This has seemed to fix her problem completely, and now even uses the wifi in bed ( different floor and opposite end of house)

I came to this conclusion because my own computers wifi card and my router are top notch, and at first I couldnt recreate the problems she was describing at my house.  Only after seeing it happen at hers, and then using one of my pc's bands and editing the wifi signal was I able to recreate her situation.  By setting my pcie wifi adapters 2nd band to a congested channel, removing the antenna, and knocking the signal strength to the floor, I ended up getting the exact same result of dropped wifi connections/poor or intermittant signal strength.

I also noticed that my own high end router, with completely default settings on her Yoga 13, had a seemless connection to the laptop, yet I wasnt getting full bandwidth.  I was able to recreate my findings by taking one of the bands on my router ( it has 3, 2x2.4ghz channels and a 5ghz) and trying to mess it up (poor channel settings/ auto settings)

in this way I could literally walk around the house with the Yoga, and watch my 2 different SSIDS, one configured properly, and 1 configured poorly (coming out of the same router) and could clearly see that one network was behaving perfectly, while the other was giving me most of the problems listed here.

What I changed on her Router-

20hz, changed to 60hz

Wifi channel changed from "Auto" to "11"

Set Static IP for her laptop

What I changed on her Yoga-

Wifi Channel set to "11"

Disabled applications ability to control the wifi cards power

Changed windows power profile so this device was maximized

Updated all laptop drivers

Disabled/removed Bluetooth (she doesnt use)

Changed advanced options on device

Removed, and then set all options for windows regarding her WLAN.

I've experienced problems like this in the past on company laptops, and usually removing the bluetooth completely would solve the problem.  It's a bandaid, but in situations where I can get away with it, I dont hesitate.  If you dont have a nice router, and cant change these settings I would suggest giving it a go, otherwise you should be able to configure your router/card properly, leave bluetooth enabled, and be alright.

if your using say an xfinity modem as your router, then I feel for you, I really do.  But at my own house, I was able to have perfectly fine performance out of the Yogas wifi card, with the bluetooth enabled, in all areas of my house(including the garage) off of a single router.

tonyf
What's DOS?
Views: 3,198
Message 937 of 938

I had the same problem.  My wifi suddenly turned-off.  Not signal was detected at all.  Fortunately, I have fixed with System Restore.  It fixed the problem, then I follow-up with updates.  Hopefully, this will help you as well.

TomiK
Paper Tape
Views: 2,473
Message 938 of 938

Possible solution:

set your router to manual channel selection and use one of the channels from 4 to 7.

Why did I do that?

I believe now that Yoga 13 (first generation) Realtek WiFi card and/or driver have problems dealing with interference from other networks,

When I bought my Yoga in 2012 WiFi worked fine. With time however it started dropping off the network, for last year it was not able to connect at all, even if the router was right next to it. During that time number of WiFi networks in my vicinity increased.

I noticed that my Apple AirPort Express router was set to automatic channel assignment and it always was using channel 11.

I set it to manual and chose channel 6. My Yoga suddenly was able to connect to the network without problems and it maintains connection in the entire house.

A bit of theory behind it.

In North America 2.4 GHz network uses eleven channels numbered from 1 to 11. Each is assigned different frequency range but those ranges overlap between neighbouring channels. Logically the best channels to use are 1 and 11 because they have no other channels to interfere with on the left side of the spectrum for 1 and on the right side for 11.

If your router is allowed to automatically select a channel then it will naturally pick either 1 or 11. Now if you have many routers in the area and all of them are set to automatic channel selection (which probably is the default manufacturer's option) then suddenly those best channels get crowded.

I manually set my router to channel 6 because theoretically it is one of the worst channels to use, right in the middle of the spectrum facing interference from left and right. For that reason no router with"simplistic" auto mode will choose that channel. In the world of many "stupid" routers running on auto those channels 4 to 7 seem to be the best to use.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors