Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clydeseigle
Paper Tape
Views: 2,180
Message 691 of 938

Re: yoga 13 wifi issues

I just purchased a Yoga 13 and love the device except that the wireless performance is noticeably poor compared every other laptop in the house. Trying to use it for Remote Desktop is almost impossible because it constantly drops the connection.

I installed a wireless signal meter and did some testing and found the following very disturbing behavior: when you place the device on your lap and put your hands on the keyboard the wireless signal drops dramatically. This would seem to imply a fatal design flaw in these devices as they must have put the wireless antenna in the base around the keyboard. 

As this is a strange form-factor with the ability to flip to a tablet it presents some challenges on the best location for the antenna but, the design choice that was made has created a device which is pretty much unusable as a normal laptop – because you can’t put it on your lap or use the keyboard! It might make a nice toy as a tablet but my advice is to avoid it if you thought you could use the keyboard.

ben55124
Paper Tape
Views: 2,092
Message 692 of 938

On the "limited" Yoga 13 wifi issue, it appears the Win8 image used when shipping from outlook.lenovo.com must have some bad wifi drivers.  After advice from Lenovo support, I reset the computer using the Lenovo button (small pen button next to power).  Win8 reinstalled, and I no longer have limited issue.

Paularbear
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,847
Message 693 of 938

I too have the "limited" wifi issue. I reset my computer as well, and it temporarily fixed the issue. the second time I tried to connect, I had the same old Issue.
sternig
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,828
Message 694 of 938

Well I backed up my Yoga and bit the bullet and installed the June 6 WIFI and BT drivers from Lenovo's site. Other than the mouse flicker the Yoga seems OK so far. Good ping and speeds with hands on or off the keyboard rest

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2796899726.png

Fixed the mouse flicker by stopping RunSwUSB service.

Time will tell if I made a good move, I'm worried about travel where you connect to whatever Wifi router along the road.

GzyOnline
SCSI Port
Views: 1,822
Message 695 of 938

@sternig wrote:

Well I backed up my Yoga and bit the bullet and installed the June 6 WIFI and BT drivers from Lenovo's site. Other than the mouse flicker the Yoga seems OK so far. Good ping and speeds with hands on or off the keyboard rest

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2796899726.png

Fixed the mouse flicker by stopping RunSwUSB service.

Time will tell if I made a good move, I'm worried about travel where you connect to whatever Wifi router along the road.

Thanks for your post!

ktabel01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,712
Message 696 of 938

had mine for about a week and there's lots to love. however the wifi issues are killing me. Bad signal, slow speeds. I've updated the latest wifi/BT drivers and no effect. It really does appear to be physical as it's quite a good signal when the device is resting on a desk and my palm is not on the computer. Put it on your lap and rest your hands on the corners and the speed drops significantly
ktabel01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,606
Message 697 of 938

Had enough.  Sending it back in.  support guy felt it was a hardware issue to they're taking  a look.  guess we'll see.

clydeseigle
Paper Tape
Views: 1,601
Message 698 of 938

It seems by now that it is pretty clear Lenovo has a problem across the board with their wireless performance in current models.  I returned my Yogo because the design itself is fundamentally flawed with the antenna in the base by the keyboard – making the keyboard all but useless. But even with your hands off the keyboard wireless was poor at best. We reproduced the same performance with the store model so it was not just that I happened to get a bad unit. I replaced the Yogo with a U310 touch. It also has sub-par wireless performance and has since been returned.

In addition, my nephew had a high-end model that had bad wireless performance, they sent him a replacement and it is exactly the same - less than half the network performance of all the old laptops it was meant to replace and that only when he’s sitting next to the router.

At this point, Lenovo is 0 for 5. I think that qualifies as a trend and clear engineering problem. I hope they get their act together and honestly address this critical issue.  I would not recommend that anyone purchase any Lenovo product until they do.

grisjuan
Token Ring
Views: 1,589
Message 699 of 938

>   I would not recommend that anyone purchase any Lenovo product until they do.

I use my Yoga to teach training courses to software developers so it is highly visible to everyone in class all week. Every class is at a different company so my Yoga gets a lot of exposure. Each week at least one person asks me how I like my Yoga and I have to tell them : "it's flawed, I highly recommend that you do not buy one...wait for the next generation". I think it is pretty clear that Lenovo is very unlikely to fix the issue for those of us with current models.

tdanbrown
SCSI Port
Views: 1,555
Message 700 of 938

I say that exact same statement.

On a different note, I just heard the new Yoga 11s also has Realtek wireless.... likely the same problems.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/640537-ideapad-yoga-112.html#post9259078

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors