Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bralexander
What's DOS?
Views: 127
Message 1 of 6

yoga 710 only connects to internet with a static ip address

I have a lenovo yoga 710 and I think I had a virus on it that was installed through onedrive. I know this because I have not transferred any documents from my old computer, but after opening onedrive, and downloading some pictures, the background of my yoga changed to the sony vaio background (same one that is on my old computer). I have since reset my computer and wiped all the files.

Ok, now to the IP problem. This started about the time I realized my background changed without my doing. I cannot connect to the wifi without using a static IP address, but when I use a static IP address, I am then unable to connect to a moblie hotspot. When I troubleshoot to connect to the hotspot, it enables dhcp, and then I am unable to connect to the wifi afterwards.

Things I've tried already: resetting computer, netsh int ip reset, updating driver, uninstalling driver, turning off firewall -- none of these have worked

Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks!

SeniorGuru
Views: 110
Message 2 of 6

Re: yoga 710 only connects to internet with a static ip address

Have you set the network properties to DHCP on both IP and Subnet settings? Also - the issue with your WiFi may be that the router has already issued an Static IP to your notebook based on MAC addressing. This can cause issues with accessing the internet if the router has configuration issues.

I would suggest looking into the router's web portal (internal settings) and make sure the settings are not compromised.

As to the "virus" issue - most Cloud sources actively scan files for malware so the chance of it being downloaded to your computer is slim. If your saved files included a "desktop" file, your background would change when the files from the cloud are imported.

Lastly - make sure the anti-malware software on your notebook computer is up to date and running when you download any files from any source. If the anti-malware software does not scan downloads then I would suggest replacing it with a more competent offering from AVAST or Malwarebytes.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Bralexander
What's DOS?
Views: 95
Message 3 of 6

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, so I looked into the properties of the network and it was set to dhcp (not manual), but I'm not sure what you mean by changing the subnet and IP network properties to dhcp. Is there a number range that you set the address/mask to, or do you just change it in the settings, or is there a netsh comand for this? I tried searching how to change IP and subnet settings to dhcp and just got more confused. I also looked into ipconfig/all, and dchp looks to be enabled everywhere, i also see netBIOS over Tcpip is enabled, but ip routing is not enabled, and wins proxy is not enabled maybe this could be the problem?
Thanks again for the help!
Bralexander
What's DOS?
Views: 94
Message 4 of 6

Also I'm on a public network for a small hotel that I'm staying at.
Bralexander
What's DOS?
Views: 93
Message 5 of 6

I also see media is disconnected for wireless lan adapter 2 and 3. These are Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapters don't know what this means.
SeniorGuru
Views: 84
Message 6 of 6

In short, right click on the networking icon in the system tray, choose "open network and Internet Sharing"... This will open up an additional window for "Settings" and you should see a few options to adjust.

On the left side find the "wireless" and click on it, then choose "change adapter options" a window will open showing your network ICONS, right click on the wifi adapter, choose properties.

In the small window look for Internet Protocol Version 4, double click it and the TCP Internet Properties will open, make sure both section are set to use "obtain ____ automatically" then save and close the windows out.

Restart the notebook and see if things change.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors