Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vicusi21
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,486
Message 21 of 43

Re: yoga 900 WIFI issues

Read my last post, the problem is your router.
mnop
Paper Tape
Views: 6,455
Message 22 of 43

I did change the width and band from auto to actual values.  I also chose bands that were not in use.  That does help to some extent.  My connection becomes more stable.

However, the connection is still very weak.  At any given time I can see around 4 access points (all mine) and sometimes not even mine show up.  On other devices in the same area I can see over 10 access points, all of mine with full signal plus neighboring routers with weaker signals.  It's like the 900's wifi is just very weak.

Besides that I can't go around telling admins of access points to use a certain width and channel so changing the router settings isn't a real solution in my opinion unless that particular router is set up incorrectly.  The issues happens with all routers, not just mine.

sarahelkhu
Paper Tape
Views: 6,375
Message 23 of 43

I'm also having wifi issues. I bought a brand new lenovo yoga 900 and the second I took it out of the box it had problems connecting to the internet from my home router, which has never had this problem with any other devices. I took it to school and it dropped the internet twice, so I exchanged it for another one the day after I got it. This time it didn't have problems right away like the last, but two days after it dropped my school's wifi and from there started dropping other wifi networks. I took it to work to try the network there, but it couldn't even find any networks though my phone was showing several. I restarted it twice and finally was able to find the network, but was dropped after an hour. I really like everything else about the Yoga 900 and want to try to fix this issue instead of having to get a different computer.

vicusi21
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,362
Message 24 of 43

I had the same problem, I adjusted my router and it stopped (see prior posts). Unistall all windows updates, then choose on windows updates>update settings> advanced options> defer updates.
Then make sure you have all latest windows updates. It worked for me on all networks, good luck.
vicusi21
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,362
Message 25 of 43

I had the same problem, I adjusted my router and it stopped (see prior posts). Uninstall all windows updates, then choose on windows updates>update settings> advanced options> defer updates.
Then make sure you have all latest windows updates. It worked for me on all networks, good luck.
krusi4310
Paper Tape
Views: 6,320
Message 26 of 43

Solved:

I had the same problem; internment WIFI drops that would increase in frequency with distance from the router. However I did not experience it causing overall problems with the Routers performance and how it works with other clients.     

I have a small house (~1200 sq ft) and a NETGEAR R7000 Router. There are multiple devices using WIFI including IOS, Linux, Windows 7, 8, and 10, plus ROKU. Never had any connectivity issues what so ever with any of these devices. 

Solutions I have tried (not simultaneously):

• Changing WIFI adapter mode into B channel only. Drops decreased but still was a problem plus poor overall performance. 
  • Forcing WIFI adapter into 5.4 Ghz only. No change
  • Changing Router Settings into single channel. No change 

I think it's wrong that I would have to adjust my router if there are no other clieints having a problem. I think it also wrong that I would have to change to a legacy WIFI mode for it to stay connected. As far as I can tell there is something wrong between Lenovo, Win10, and Intel. More than likely Win10.

Solution:

• Went to the Intel Site and downloaded the latest drive for the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-8260 WIFI Adapter here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25683/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10. This worked perfectly, no drops at all, excellent performance. Tested by running a movie on Netflix in the part of the house where I had the worst performance. Timed the movie and verified it finished on time. Let it run from there longer just online and checked the event viewer and no drops. This is my wifes computer and she has been using it ever since and she has not had any problems for an est 5 days. 

After I did this I decided to do a clean install of Win10 and reinstall the same driver of course. This machine is running super smooth now. Couldn't be happier!!!  

rsk294
What's DOS?
Views: 6,145
Message 27 of 43

@krusi4310 wrote:

Solved:

After I did this I decided to do a clean install of Win10 and reinstall the same driver of course. This machine is running super smooth now. Couldn't be happier!!!  

When you say clean install, you mean from an iso? Not using the built in refresh options?

I've been dealing with this issue ever since I picked the laptop up in November, 2015. I noticed when connecting to the 2.4Ghz band, everything was ok, except for the slower than usual speed I was getting, about half the rate. What was strange was the fact that all devices would lock up on the network after a few minutes of connecting to the 5Ghz network. The adapter on the laptop would then reset and at times I would have to reboot to get it back on. After, I would notice airplane mode had turned on even though I was connected to the router.

Updated drivers helped stablize 2.4Ghz and I could extend my time on the 5Ghz, but speed still remained significantly below what my ISP was providing. I always optimize the routers band and channels and previous devices never had an issue with it. So it led me to think something was up with the adapter or software.

I've yet to do a clean install but it will be my next step. It very well could be Lenovo software interfereing with the Intel PROSet software .

krusi4310
Paper Tape
Views: 6,140
Message 28 of 43

Without giving you a long winded repy use this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

They explain it alot better than I can. I pretty much did option one and if you follow it explicitly you should be good. It gets rid of all the Levono Pre-Installed Software (aka bloatware).  

Guru
Views: 6,120
Message 29 of 43

Wait, you did a clean Windows install on Yoga 900 and it improved the WiFi?

I noticed Yoga 900 WiFi reception was weaker than other notebooks or phones I owned but I did not know it could be fixed by software changes.

Please Advice.

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

krusi4310
Paper Tape
Views: 6,109
Message 30 of 43

I forgot to mention this:

IF YOU DO A CLEAN INSTALL MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE COPY OF THE WIFI ADAPTER DRIVER FIRST BEFORE STARTING!!!! 

Reason for this is that Windows 10 does not have a defualt driver that works with the device and you will have no internet until it is installed since the Yoga 900 is WIFI only. You can copy the driver on to a USB drive before doing the clean install and you should be fine. Hopefully you read this before you have already started. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors