Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krusi4310
Paper Tape
Views: 6,411
Message 31 of 43

Re: yoga 900 WIFI issues

Here is the steps I followed (I'm assuming you have a little competance around a computer if not you should have some you know that does do this)

1.  Copy the latest driver for the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-8260 WIFI Adapter onto a USB Flash Drive from here:   https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25683/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10. DON'T LOSE THIS!!!
  2. Install and verify that it works. It should work in all modes, performance might still be less than desired but you should lose the connectivity issues. At this point you can keep everything as is or you can proceed with the clean install
  3. Go to Microsoft and download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. *Note in the next step you can use the same drive you put the driver on but after Windows gets done putting the setup files on it make sure the Intel driver for your WIFI is still there. 
  4. Run the Media Creation Tool and when the option comes up select "Create Installation for another PC"
  5. Select your langauge, Windows 10 Home(this should be automatic) and 64 bit.
  6.   Once the process has completed: Open up Settings and go to Update and Security, and then choose Recovery on the left menu. From here you can choose the Advanced Startup option. Select Restart. Make sure your drive is in...derp
  7. The computer will reboot and start the installation process.
  8. When you get to the Activation Screen since you already have a licensed copy previosly installed select "I don't have a Product Key" Your key is already stored at Microsoft on their servers and is activated.
  9. Install it on whatever partition you want. I would just select the largest available partition unless you are familiar with how to manipulate them properly.
  10. Once Windows 10 is installed install your WIFI driver and then test your internet connection. 
  11. Verify that your computer is activated by going to Start menu and click on Settings, click the Update & Security button, and go to the “Activation” tab. This will only show "Windows is Activated"  after you connect to the internt which is why that you have to make sure your WIFI is working. Sometimes people have problems with the Microsoft serever overloading and it wont activate. This will require several reboots to resolve however I doubt this will be a problem. Windows 10 has been out for a while and Xmas is over. 
  12. Do all your Windows Updates... FUN!!!
  13. Viola, it's done. 
rsk294
What's DOS?
Views: 6,392
Message 32 of 43

@krusi4310 wrote:

Here is the steps I followed (I'm assuming you have a little competance around a computer if not you should have some you know that does do this)

This did the trick. The time it took find non-Lenovo drivers took a little while but everything seems to be in order and I have a perfect connection and full speeds on my network. Thanks for the article as it details the possibility of using the refresh option without restoring the OEM software and drivers, something I'll need to look into further.

energiajook
What's DOS?
Views: 6,237
Message 33 of 43

Hey krusi4310,

Did this also improve your wifi speed? I don't have any drops, but the speed I get is far from maximum, it is even lower than on my old laptop where wlan card does not support the high speed. This is the maximum I can get out of it: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5122340131

I was able to achive this is speed after installing the driver from your link and setting wifi channel to the specific value. I have 100 Mbit/s internet speed.

Thanks for the post.

justinvt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,951
Message 34 of 43

So, new here, but I am also experiencing this issue and working toward some sort of resolution.  Mostly I'm posting my observations and experiments because I don't feel you should have to reinstall Windows 10 in order to fix this issue.  I've been working toward making sure all drivers are up to date.  Your circumstances may be different from mine, but I'll outline some information in hopes that is may help others.

I purchased my Lenovo Yoga 900 at Best Buy about 3 weeks ago.  It came with Windows 10 pre-installed, so there was no upgrade from windows 8/8.1.  I did not experience any issues until about about 10 days ago or so, but I was not having this issue during my first week of use, that I observed.

Observations:

1. I ran updates via the Lenovo tools/pre-instally McAfee trial softward/windows alerts.
  2. I experienced a few issues with trackpad configuration, but was able to fix those based on similar issues found on this and other forums, but I believe those to be unrelated (?).
  3. Son gaming on a separate laptop began to complain about slow internet (usually ~11-13Mbps down) whenever I "came home."
  4. Began to suspect my DSL modem/router, like many suggested in this thread
  5. DSL modem/router is from my internet provider, so I am unable to upgrade firmware, but restarting it seemed to fix the issues, at least initially.
  6. After several days of restarting my DSL router, I started to think my router/modem was dying
  7. Son commented again that it only seemed to start "once I came home."
  8. Started to fiddle with devices on the network to see what worked, what didn't.
  9. Started to narrow down problem devices.
  10. Began to focus on the Lenovo Yoga 900 after ruling out the one or two devices on my suspect list.
  11. Tried turning off wifi on Lenovo Yoga 900. (can be done via device manager, but I found just toggling it off from the Action Center)
  12. BINGO!  

Now to be clear, something on the Lenovo Yoga messes up connections on the entire network, this is not isolated to wireless networks, as even my wired NAS, attached to the main DSL modem/router experienced a drop in WAN throughput.  It should also be noted that I have 2 other wireless networks (powerline extenders) all routing via the DHCP server on the main DSL router.  All 3 networks experience a huge drop down to about 0.29Mbps once the lenovo has been connected for a few minutes.

I strongly suspect software on the lenovo laptop because when I first connect it (first 2-5 minutes) the speeds across devices are normal, then suddenly drop to almost nothing.  It doesn't seem to matter if bluetooth is on or not on the Lenovo, though I have not yet attempted to toggle that on and off on other devices, so there is the potential for interference there.  All 3 wireless networks use different wireless channels to minimize interference.  We do not experience issues on other devices (approximately 3 phones, 2 laptops and an 'old' Google Nexus 10) until the Yoga 900 is turned on and then I log in.

Last night, I was able to keep 'tricking' the network by turning off the wifi on the Lenovo, download a new driver or two from Lenovo (there are several new updates since everything was updated a few weeks ago when I first fired up the new laptop) then turning it back off, then on, download, etc.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

I do not know if it has been resolved yet, as I needed to go to sleep.  

What I intend to do next: 

I suspect, due to the fact it doesn't happen for a few minutes, that something like the free McAfee trial software is mucking around with my network.  I specifically am leaning toward that software because if I connect a new device to the network, it pops up a warning, so it is definitely keeping track of stuff via network sniffing, though my background isn't Network IT, so I could be way off there.  Anyway, I think I'm going to try going through the startup software and disable non-windows apps to see what happens.  I may also try uninstalling the trial McAfee software (thank you interwebs for reminding me of that) via there uninstall tool.  I am not a big McAfee software person, but initially figured it was a free trial, so leave it alone until it expires in 2 more day.  I use other virus scanning software on my other machines and will be using that in the future.

Hopefully, I am circling in on the issue.  I hope to keep people updated here as the original post sounded exactly like what I have been experiencing and as a developer, I generally like knowing the cause of issues. 

justinvt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,935
Message 35 of 43

So, I've spent the last few hours with some more experiments.  I disabled a few of the startup items (you can see the programs which start up by opening the task manager and going to the startup tab.)  I disabled the cyberlink startup items (cyberlink is pre-installed on the Lenovo Yoga 900 and one of the cyberlink programs is used for one touch backup, based on the research I did) and Microsoft's OneDrive, which I don't use because I have a server I use for that.  You need to restart after enabling or disabling startup programs and/or you can start up in safe mode to run the same test, but I prefer to do things one at a time for troubleshooting whenever possible.

After disabling those items, the internet connect was back to normal, so I wanted to see which thing was causing all computers on my network to tank.  I re-enabled OneDrive and restarted to see what would happen next.  BINGO!  My network connection tanked again across computers.  Then I got an alert about file names, which I've been getting recently but didn't realize it was that important.  I backed up a bunch of stuff on my Android phone in order to do a factory reset about a week ago and some of the music files had 'bad characters' in the files names.  Some of those just began with spaces.  My educated guess, based on the warnings I was ignoring, was that OneDrive was having syncing issues because of that and was flooding my network with errors, bad traffic, etc.

As a test, I moved the folder I'd backed up my phone to, to my Desktop.  As soon as that completed, my network throughput increased dramatically and went back to normal.

I will probably disable OneDrive because I don't have a need for it.

Hopefully this helps others in their troubleshooting endeavors.

Cheers!

PS big pain, but on the plus side, all my drivers are up to date now.  yay.

mohituor2000
What's DOS?
Views: 5,904
Message 36 of 43

I did exactly the same steps as 'jutinvt' have described and come to the conclusion that OneDrive syncing large files causing the entire network to choke. After disabling the OneDrive sync the network goes back to normal and as suggested by other user upgrading the Wifi driver from Intel site directly also increases the speed .

justinvt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,898
Message 37 of 43

That's awesome, I hope the work I did helped you.
pstoodley
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,597
Message 38 of 43

I have the exact same problem with my brand new laptop. My phone connects fine and my wife is connected on her apple macbook but I dont get connection until I come into the same room as the router. I never had this problem with my older thinkpads. Did you find a solution?

vicusi21
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,595
Message 39 of 43

Check my post, you might have to change your router's channel and/or frequency. It's rather simple.

pstoodley
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,553
Message 40 of 43

That was my next plan. I ended up adding the new driver and deleting the one that it came with under help from Lenovo phone support and that seems to have fixed it. Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors