Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kamin1
Paper Tape
Views: 842
Message 61 of 196

Re: yoga 910 battery not charging

I did what you did.  I do have the Pro version of Windows 10...not sure if that detail matters.  I just simply formatted the drive and reinstalled the OS with the latest necessary drivers and updates to the OS.  I also still use an HP 65W power adapter.  In my other comment, I mentioned that the Lenovo adapter is not good.  It works but not consistently (and I tried three different ones with the same results).

Highlighted
James_Whitcomb
Punch Card
Views: 806
Message 62 of 196

I have two OEM Lenovo 45-Watt power supplies. I checked the voltage output on both and they were okay. I didn't check the current draw on them, I guess I could have put a load on them and measured that but I didn't.  I don't think Lenovo under designed the charger for the laptop current requirements. If there is a scenario were a higher wattage power supply with the same voltage works it could indicates a higher current is needed to operate the machine. But If 99% of the 910 laptops work with this power supply there is likely something wrong with the sofware/components in the computer that don't work.  If your computer doesn't work with a properly functioning OEM charger but does work with a higher wattage power supply there is still something likely wrong with your computer.

SimonDA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 899
Message 63 of 196

Yep. James we are again on the same track. I also have two OEM Lenovo 45-Watt power supplies. Neither works with my Yoga 910. My son's LG phone charger works with the Yoga, but is ultra slow. I bought an Anker phone charger for the heck of it. It is a Power port 2 USB model A2024 31.5 Watts. That one works fine, but I don't think it is as fast as the OEM Levovo that came with the computer (can't say for sure since niether OEM charger has not worked for months). I can certainly get by with the Anker charger, however. Pretty bad that off brand chargers work better than OEM chargers, BTW, the OEM chargers work with other devices in my home. They just hate the Lenovo laptop for which they were designed. Pretty sad!

I am going to be interested in whether yours comes back from service working and what they tell you they did.

James_Whitcomb
Punch Card
Views: 886
Message 64 of 196

I will post what the repairs were. 

Kamin1
Paper Tape
Views: 868
Message 65 of 196

The Lenovo chargers will work sometimes...it depends on where I use them.  In newer homes and offices, it seems to work more often.  In older locations and when I travel (including in some hotels), it does not.  In summary from my experiences, the Lenovo chargers are only reliable for devices requiring lower voltage charging such as a small tablet or phone.  Other laptops also do not charge consistently with the Lenovo chargers that come with this laptop.   My solution from before is to use an HP 65W charger and wiping the system.  At this point, I don't have more information because I don't have time to test outlets, voltage levels, etc. - especially since I already have a solution of wiping the laptop clean and using a non-Lenovo 65W charger.  My long history with Lenovo is that when they have something faulty, it is better to find a work-around and keep moving forward then it is to expect them to acknowledge and provide a permanent solution.  I will mention that I know others who did not wipe their laptop clean and can get a slow increasing charge from a 65W non-Lenovo charger (one person is using the charger from the MacBook he has).  It seems to be a combination of elements.

SimonDA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 864
Message 66 of 196

Thanks for the feedback. Well, my home was built in 1928. That's where I have been doing all of my testing. LOL. I will have to test some alternative locations. Just as you found, my son's LG phone charges with the Lenovo charger at this home. For my yoga, I'll stick with my Anker and perhaps buy an HP as a backup. Per your suggestion about the Macbook, I just tried an old charger that I had from an ipad and that works too. 

I have noticed another non related issue that is really bothering me. Ever since I put the newest version of Windows on my machine, it skips charaters from time to time as I type. I have to go back and make corrections as I type. Can't win!!!

Kamin1
Paper Tape
Views: 859
Message 67 of 196

1928 - Nice...I like homes built from that era.  I can't win neither...Since my wipe of the system, I have to hibernate or shutdown my laptop to transport, or it will turn on in the carrier and overheat.  I have it set to not react to USB and other devices to come out of sleep mode.  I can live with that compared to traveling and not being able to charge the laptop. 

James_Whitcomb
Punch Card
Views: 847
Message 68 of 196

House from 1928, do you still have the knob and tube wiring? For those using non OEM chargers what is the Wattage rating and the maximum Amperage rating that works best(I am assuming your using the same output voltage of the OEM?). 

SimonDA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 837
Message 69 of 196

No, the wiring is not so old that it is knob and tube. It is partially 2 wire and some has been updated to have a seperate grounds (kitchen and family room) and it is all on breakers and not fuses. I will have to do some testing on various plugs in the house and perhaps other locations and will report back. Maybe the Lenovo chargers are suseptible to noise, or voltage variances or something. Maybe this occurs when you first plug it in and it goes through a sensing cycle.

Is your home on older wiring? Curious because our symptoms are identical based on your video.

David

EricDush
Paper Tape
Views: 823
Message 70 of 196

For the record, Lenovo did not send me a new charger, I'm still using the original charger. They replaced the mobo and battery. So the issue (for me at least) was not a house wiring or charger issue. My guess is that there is some sort of issue with proper detection of the charger within the motherboard. Since a factory wipe didn't solve my problem (and some others on this forum), it would appear that the issue is in the hardware (since that's how Lenovo resolved it). I was also able to slow charge with SOME third party chargers, but I could never get one to charge at full speed once the issue started happening. Now that I have it back with the new mobo, My Targus charger works at full speed as well as my original Lenovo charger (both are 45w).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors