Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sheldon199
What's DOS?
Views: 790
Message 71 of 196

Re: yoga 910 battery not charging

I had this problem just pop up. Had my machine for over 1 year and of course it happens the first week that my machine is out of warrenty. When my machine is on, plugging in the power cord will either do nothing or start a loop where it will charge for 1 second then discharge for 1 second and start over. When it is asleep with the lid closed, I noticed that plugging in the power cord made the LED next to the charge port blink, but in a random, sporadic way (not the nice consistent on/off it should be) and the battery will not charge. Finally if I shut down and plug it in, the charging LED displays normal behavior, but only charges the battery sometimes.

I ordered a 3rd party charger on Ebay that puts out 45 watts when my battery stopped charging, but I have found that my OEM charger and this new one behave the same. I have tried the driver update as well as a windows 10 update. The only update I have yet to do is the BIOS and I'm having trouble updating it because the BIOS update driver requires that you be plugged in to the wall to start it. There is absolutely no way to get wall power to the computer while it is turned on. Has anyone else experienced this?

My next step is to get a 60 watt or larger power supply to try. After that I suppose I'll reinstall the OS and if that doesn't do it I guess I'm up a creek. 

SimonDA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 782
Message 72 of 196

Yes, it sounds like you have caught the desease! Be careful which OEM charger you order. I have several OEM chargers. The first one I tried was a Cable Matters charger and it does the exact same thing as the Lenovo OEM charger. The Anker I have is reliable per somone else in the chain, there is a  HP charger that seems to be an even better choice. I have a charger from an old ipad that works as well. Let us know how it goes.

James_Whitcomb
Punch Card
Views: 1,238
Message 73 of 196

I am starting to believe a healthy battery is required to operate properly off line voltage. Mine was having problems with not charging and went dead, they replaced the board but not the battery it started demonstrating the problems in my video.  I just got it back with a replaced battery. It is working so far. 

SimonDA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,236
Message 74 of 196

That's interesting. Thanks for letting me know. If anything changes, please post. My laptop charges to 100% without conservation mode turned on and lasts a long time. It also works with conservation mode turned on charging to 60%. Of course all of this is with my Anker charger. So, as far as the capacity of the battery, all appears to be well. Perhaps there is some active charger components in the battery that have to do with sensing the charger. Who knows!

James_Whitcomb
Punch Card
Views: 1,211
Message 75 of 196

I just got my computer back, funny they left a 45 watt charger in the repair box that was different then my original 2 OEM chargers.

SimonDA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,207
Message 76 of 196

Ahh. Interesting. I wonder if the original OEM chargers work with the laptop.

James_Whitcomb
Punch Card
Views: 1,177
Message 77 of 196

Well after the fourth repair; #1 was no line current to the computer system board #2 was not charging # 3 it came back from repair touch pad not working (repaired at home cost $45 #4 it was send to factory not charging (came back from the factory audio board shorts and I have to power off and back on for audio).  To fix the audio will be my 5th repair. I am maintaining a  once a month repair rate on my 6 month old computer.

Highlighted
SimonDA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,161
Message 78 of 196

Sorry to hear this. This is why I am so resistant to send mine in for repair. IMHO, they really should send you a replacement machine.

Out of curiosity, did ou ever try one of your original chargers with your machine? If they don't work, but the new different charger does, that says alot...

James_Whitcomb
Punch Card
Views: 1,142
Message 79 of 196

I was going to check it on my bench with a load on them to see if they were different. 

These  machines are hard to put back together. LOL  There isnst much tollerance for misallignment I can press on the top right corner of the key pad area with my thumb and it shorts the audio card.

SimonDA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,075
Message 80 of 196

Hmmm. I just received a notification that my Lenovo Vantage App had been updated. The Lenovo battery charging indicator disappeared. I had to relaunch the Vantage app manually and reset my settings to turn on the batter charge indicator and turn on battery saver. It occurred to me that that I should test my OEM charger to see if they potentially fixed a bug related to charging. Low and behold, for the first time in months, my OEM charger now works. My power mode no longer oscillates between various settings when I plug in my charger. Coincidence? I think not. Has anyone else experienced the same? I will keep monitoring this and will report back, but so far so good.

The new version of Lenovo Vantage is 4.9.183.0

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors