Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lvonn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 798
Message 91 of 196

Re: yoga 910 battery not charging

Just wondering if you found anything else about this issue. I've been looking around and there are 100s of people with this problem.
Lvonn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 801
Message 92 of 196

Here's another 910 with the same charging issue. I also found that it would resolve the issue by using a different charger...sometimes. honestly there is no rhyme or reason. I'm so upset about this. I really thought I'd found the perfect laptop. I'm a writer and can't afford downtime. DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION BESIDES REPLACING THE MOTHERBOARD AND BATTERY? Seems this is what Lenovo is doing.

chaosmonger
Paper Tape
Views: 1,346
Message 93 of 196

NEW UPDATE:

I went to a store and asked a favor there. I tried with another power adaptor: nothing, no led, same problem. Then I tried my old adaptor to a new laptop and it was charging but very weirdly. So basically the guy told me that probably the power charger failed and burnt the usb-c port of my laptop. Now I've to take it to the store where I bought it for a warranty repairing. However, since that might take few weeks and since I've some files on that Hard Drive that I need asap for some works, what can I do? I have a 

NEW QUESTION:

How can I copy the files from a Lenovo Yoga 910 that is not turning on to another external drive? Is there any SSD PCIe NVMe reader? Can I move the old hard drive to a new laptop at least to copy the files? 

Thank you very very very much for your help

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,336
Message 94 of 196

@chaosmonger wrote:

NEW QUESTION:

How can I copy the files from a Lenovo Yoga 910 that is not turning on to another external drive? Is there any SSD PCIe NVMe reader? Can I move the old hard drive to a new laptop at least to copy the files? 

Thank you very very very much for your help

That's a little more difficult. I haven't found a PCIe NVMe to USB adapter or enclosure beyond those that fit in desktop computers. I never bothered to get one as I don't keep any critical data on my system drive. Everything exists on external drives and/or in the cloud. System drive is imaged weekly. Like a wise man once told me, "If data doesn't exist in at least three places, it doesn't exist." Maybe someone has found an enclosure and will chime in. Check some of the threads involving HDD replacements for the 910 and 920.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
chaosmonger
Paper Tape
Views: 1,322
Message 95 of 196

And what if instead of moving the Hard Drive I just found a compatible battery to put into my laptop? If it's only the charging port (and hopefully not the mobo) maybe I can be able to use a charged battery instead of mine, copy the files, then put back the old uncharged one...?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,309
Message 96 of 196

Seems plausible. But, going forward, never leave critical data in only one place.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
gimme2more
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,283
Message 97 of 196

When this happened to me, the place that I brought it told me they could transfer the info to another computer if that was the end of the Yoga. I couldn't tell you how to get the info, but they assured me they could do it even if the battery was never gonna charge again.

After replacing the I/O port and getting a new charger, the same issue came up about a month later (plugged in, not charging.) I decided to try the third-party charger that someone else in this thread had recommended. It charges slowly, but it did work and seemed to activate something that lets the Lenovo charger get recognized agian. This is the one I have: Anker Quick Charge 3.0 31.5W Dual USB Wall Charger, PowerPort 2

I just plugged it in and put the laptop to sleep, The next day it was charged and my Lenovo charger somehow worked again -- but inconsistently. I carry the Anker one as a back-up incase the Lenovo one decides not to work. It can also charge my phone, so I guess that's a plus.

This is such crap.

Good luck.

Lvonn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,274
Message 98 of 196

I bought a new USB C cable and attached it to my phone charger and it works...very very slowly(takes all night for the full charge). It won't work with any other chargers I have. There was a post somewhere in this feed about someone who took their laptop to an electronic Mr. Fixit and he said there is a problem with a motherboard module Ec not giving instructions to the charging port. Meaning...a new motherboard. I think it's crazy for Lenovo to keep selling these computers.

Dogan910
Paper Tape
Views: 1,241
Message 99 of 196

Yep! Exact same problem with my Yoga 910 aswell. Honestly, the fact that so many of the same model laptops with the same problem right after the warranty period ends smells abit fishy to me.

My 910 started having charging issues a few months ago with the charge light flickering on and off but it would just calm down and start working as it should on its own. Then finally last month it just couldn't get enough charge because of the flickering charge issues when using the original charger. Although, it would very slowly charge using my phones charger.

Lemonovo wanted me to send it in to them and then pay for the repairs once they diagnosed the issues since I'm out of warranty but after seeing this thread I decided not to.. I had my useless 910 sitting here without use for a few weeks and tried to charge it up just today and nope, no response at all. No charge light with either the original charger or the phone charger. No lights, no fans, no noise, no response, just an expensive piece of eye candy.

There is a guy on youtube who had issues with his usb-c port beside his power port on his 910. He ended up changing the power/usb-c card to fix his issue.  I wonder if this card is what Lemonovo have been swapping out and saying that they replaced the motherboard for the lucky people who were still under warranty.

https://youtu.be/7MjWEJql5k0

gimme2more
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,228
Message 100 of 196

@Dogan910 Thanks for that video link.

Yes, swapping out the I/O board with the 2 ports is what fixed this issue for my pretty paperweight.
It was part # 5C50M35042 & it was not easy to find. 

Off warranty of course.
All-in I spent about $350 (I brought it somewhere) and about a month later, it was "plugged in, not charging" so I called and fought with Lenovo. They did not have that part to send to me and would not touch the computer because I had it fixed by a third-party -- but they wouldn't touch it off warranty so I had no choice. Love them so much. Got a new battery & charger out of them for my troubles.

At that time I ordered the Anker charger that has worked for someone else on this thread and I hoped for the best. It's been about 2 months since all of that-- I work on this stupid thing everyday and it's been "okay." I unplug it somewhere between 80-100% and then plug it back it at 15-25%. It still discharges if I keep it plugged in at 100%. It stresses me out to see "plugged in, not charging", so I just unplug it each time.

The place where I found the part for $56 is now selling them for $250 so I guess they're in demand...wonder why...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors