Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Inoda
Paper Tape
Views: 389
Message 171 of 196

Re: yoga 910 battery not charging

I am trying the options suggested here too with the Anker PD and cord, do hope it works out.

Too bad the Lenovo brand no longer works in my options of future PC purchases. Their disregard to correcting this issue and help so many of us stuck with this manufacturing flow, has motivated me to share my experiences with Lenovo amongst other potential customers. 

gimme2more
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 338
Message 172 of 196

Just an FYI...
I've had this issue for about a year and previously posted my trials & tribulations. I've been getting by with the Anker PowerPort 2 as a back up (shout out to @SimonDa 🙏.) Yes, it's a trickle charge -- which is inconvenient and stressful if I'm working while trying to charge because it basically discharges slowly. I'm fine with it because it's been the only consistent way to get this thing charging again.

I just noticed something new...
I let it charge for a bit on the Anker charger and then switch to the Lenovo charger and it charges normally. Sometimes it will not charge past 75%... sometimes it stops at 95%, but it somehow resets the thing to once agian recognize the OEM charger. Seems to work best when I'm using the laptop (currenly at 84% and charging)-- if I put it to sleep, it doesn't always keep charging. I try to unplug it before 100%. It kind of feels like a Tamagotchi pet from back in the day...

Figured I'd share this revelation in case it helps anyone in our sad, sorry group.

SimonDA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 318
Message 173 of 196

Well everyone. The verdict is in. I purchased the Anker PowerPort II with the PD charger. This charger is capable of 49.5 Watts. The good news is that it does charge the Yoga. The bad news is that it is still charging at 5 volts. I did not measure the voltage, but the charge time is identical to my lower wattage Powerport that did not support PD. It maintains the laptop charge when using the laptop. It charges very slowly when the laptop is in sleep mode or shuts down. Oh well. it was wortha  shot. I still recommend the Anker chargers. They are good enough to get by. It's a shame that you have to put up with "getting by" on an expensive laptop like this.

Ssoniccomputers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 309
Message 174 of 196

This is a hardware issue with a failure of the Mosfet #19 failure due to the main power controller chip issues, both will need to be replaced with a hot air or IR rework station, skills, and a strong constitution mentally.  This will fix the issue. 

jayjacksonpdx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 301
Message 175 of 196

Thanks for the tip. Sounds expensive and where would one get this done?
SimonDA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 266
Message 176 of 196

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, Lenovo should be recalling these for an in factory repair. My laptop is still under waranty, but I have no faith that if I had the repair completed that it would last. I have seen too many people get it done only to have the problem come back in a short amount of time. Design flaw!

Ssoniccomputers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 258
Message 177 of 196

I found the faulty Mosfet and replaced it, fixing the issue..  It was #19.  The problem reemerged around 2mo later again.  I'm going to fix it again and sell it immeditely.  I bought this unit new and this is an obvious engeneering defect.

dogan91
Paper Tape
Views: 223
Message 178 of 196

Have you guys actually spoken with Lenovo?
The first time I called for this issue, they got me to go through the basic BIOS, and troubleshooting steps (trying different chargers, different power outlets and so on) after none of those steps got me any closer to fixing my 910 and realising that I was out of the warranty period I gave up. Months later I called Lenovo again and got through to a helpful rep who simply said that she would organise a courier to pick up my 910 and then they would assess the issue. She told me that if it was the battery which was the problem, that I would have to pay for a new battery otherwise if it was anything hardware related that they would cover the cost and replace what needed to replaced. Fast forward a week later and my 910 was back with me without paying $1. 

The repair report states that the System Board and the Type C Board were replaced. Since then my 910 has been working just as it used to. 

Good luck everyone.

SimonDA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 216
Message 179 of 196

Thanks for the headsup on this. How long has it been working for you since the repair? 

dogan91
Paper Tape
Views: 203
Message 180 of 196

I got it back from Lenovo repair in October and its been fine since then, hopefully it stays that way!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors