Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scizen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 320
Message 201 of 216

Re: yoga 910 battery not charging

My second Yoga 910 has now failed. It will not charge at all. I have many chargers and none work. The unit is flat dead. I will be sending it out to a repair shop that does MOBO repairs. 

Lenovo, recall these duds.

alexguge
Paper Tape
Views: 228
Message 202 of 216

I have the same problem as well, I bought the computer in January 2017.

I guess this is nothing new, but I currently have the following issues:

The computer acts as if the charger is quicky connected/disconnected.

Itt charges, but so slow that the battery discharges.

It will charge, but it will suddenly stop.

It just won't charge.

The usb C charger that came with my old android phone (Huawei nexus 6p) works, but as other people have mentioned, charges very slowly.

I've previously had success with using my phone charger first, and connecting the OEM charger afterwards, as if the phone charger somehow "resets" something.

I've also at times noticed some extreme CPU throttling, anyone else?

Ssoniccomputers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 226
Message 203 of 216

Yes, this is the exact behavior that mine exhibited and while I did determine that 2 power mosfets were at fault there is 1 other possability which is the "new model (actually First model) USB C charging control chip made by Indilux or something like that, don't recall as it's been awhile since the repair.  All 3 parts are around $10 ea.

Inoda
Paper Tape
Views: 200
Message 204 of 216

As you can see, from the countless individuals posting the same problem, Lenovo is not concerned. As soon as the lapttop falls beyond the warranty period, Lenovo shows no care regarding its customers.

I called them.... I know.

Also, I bought this computer through the Microsoft store as one of their "signature" type laptops.

The same lack of customer service by Microsoft personal.

I suggest, never buy a Lenovo product, and to share your experience with as many potential customers, to assure we can protect future fellow laptop buyers.

Shame on you Lenovo!

SimonDA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 197
Message 205 of 216

I recommend the Anker charger to make the best of this situation. It charges at 5 v and is much slower than the OEM charger, but it is reliable and it is faster than a standard phone charger.

sfortis
Paper Tape
Views: 121
Message 206 of 216

another yoga 910 not charging here just few months out of warranty

I think lenovo should recall them and fix them, its clear that charging circuit is defective.

scizen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 79
Message 207 of 216

Here's what I've learned about the Yoga910 charging issue. I have two out of warranty 910s and both went dead with this problem. I tried lots of fixes: new chargers, battery, replaced usb-c daughter board, countless driver updates, etc. Nothing worked. 

Here's what worked and why: I sent my unit to a motherboard repair service. They replaced a power controller chip on the MB that had burned out. The USB-C engineering has problems that frustrates many manufacturers, not just Lenovo. This power/port protocol is just a littly flaky and underdone right now. The cost to fix the MB was about $140. The yoga unit I had repaired works fine now (for now). 

Ssoniccomputers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 75
Message 208 of 216

Your motherboard repair statement is correct, however as I found out since I am personally a computer and electronics engineer that there are a few things that can go wrong with this setup, in my case it happened to be a couple mosfets that were to blame and not the chip itself.   Years later and still working great after suspect mosfets replaced from a donor board~!   The chips involved in this are these right here in these 2 pics.  Of course I could have sent it in and paid for a repair but this is what I do lofZe2Slz.jpgNh6oHaS.jpg

Ssoniccomputers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 69
Message 209 of 216

I borrowed this pic off the internet becuase I did this repair like a year or more ago and who knows what happened to my pix, they were uploaded here right after doing the repair.  There are 4 mosfets to check and they are with the green squares around them PQ15, PQ16, PQ19, PQ20.  Also the chip that I put a green box around is the controller which must also be tested and considered possibly faulty, however in my case the chip was and still is fine.   This is a problem with under rating the mosfets and inadequate cooling of them if you ask me, and I'm right~!Nh6oHaS.jpg

scizen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 68
Message 210 of 216

Thanks for giving us a more technical explanation with photos. When I said "power controller chip" I was being lazy because I don't know exactly which chips my MB repair service replaced. I just had a generic explanation that a  non-technician (me) might understand. I can replace a battery, an ssd, memory modules, etc. but soldering chips is best done by someone like you. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors