cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
island
Punch Card
Views: 2,696
Message 1 of 8

yoga 910 power companion / external battery?

It's been a year since I've looked at this so now I'm revisiting as I'm thinking of purchasing another notebook/2-in-1.

I'm currenly using a yoga2 pro with two RavPower 23000mAH external power banks for longer run times while traveling and during power outages. With hurricane Irma, I'm thinking that power will again be an issue when choosing my next laptop. (The yoga2 pro is starting to get a little bit slow for me and I would like the new machine to have a TPM so I don't have to use an external USB key for bitlocker encryption of the drive.)

Are there external "power companion" external battery options to extend the runtime of the yoga 910 now?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,686
Message 2 of 8

Re: yoga 910 power companion / external battery?

I found a few and posted in this thread

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
island
Punch Card
Views: 2,665
Message 3 of 8

For the yoga 910, can you confirm what I need for power is 20v output on the usb-c?

Is there any dual voltage needed to feed the 910 or is only 20v needed via USB-c (if 20v is correct)?

Is a certain number of amps needed at 20v to charge the 910 at all?

island
Punch Card
Views: 2,627
Message 4 of 8

I have purchased a yoga 910 and it's in route to me now.

I haven't made progress on choosing the best external battery for it.

I checked with ravpower and they said specifiically that their usb-c charger https://www.ravpower.com/26800mah-Type-C-external-battery-charger-black.html "did not work with your Lenovo Yoga 910."

So I gather from that that the yoga 910's input power on the usb charging port is different than other usb-c charging ports ?

Conversely, I read the following article:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3170184/laptop-accessories/universal-usb-c-charging-how-the-dream-is...

If you scroll down to the table, it's really interesting because it seems to show that the yoga 910 was successfully charged using all those other usb-c charging adapters (ac adapters) but what I thought I gathered from that was that there was a common charging standard if you could charge a yoga 910 from one of those different usb-c chargers.

So I'm very curious if there is an exact specification posted somewhere on what the exact usb-c charging specifications are for the yoga 910?

Is it a case of voltage only or is it a case of voltage and minimum amperage to charge (even if off), etc.

island
Punch Card
Views: 2,626
Message 5 of 8

P.S. Ravpower also suggested their AC power supply which echoes the advice of another knowledgable forum contributor here to look at an inverter solution.

I was hoping there would be a dc-dc solution now that the 910/920 use usb-c charging so I'd still like to learn about the exact usb-c requirements before I go the ac route and pay the extra $ for the inverter solution, both in $ and efficiency where the dc-ad-dc conversion might cost 30-50% I fear...

feitingen
Paper Tape
Views: 2,601
Message 6 of 8

Do I understand you correctly in that you want to charge your laptop from a DC source?

I would recommend you find something like this:

https://www.coolgear.com/product/usb-c-to-usb-a-power-delivery-adapter-mounting-kit

It contains the necessary circuitry to successfully negotiate more than 5 V, and without USB-PD circuitry you should never put more than 5V into a USB-C cable, it might damage your laptop.

There is a number of USB-PD compatible docks and USB-C hubs which accepts a DC Input, they are not common, but they do exist.

island
Punch Card
Views: 2,583
Message 7 of 8

Yes was hoping that a dc-dc solution like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Laptop-Battery-Pack-ChargeTech/dp/B01N5FU4AT/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronic...

(36000 mAH, $137)

would work rather than a dc-ac-dc solution like

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Outlet-Battery-Pack-ChargeTech/dp/B0116BX968/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronic...

(27000 mAH - dc to ac conversion efficiency ?, $249)

I currently use a dc ravpower solution for my yoga2 pro which powers it via the old style lenovo charging plug.

I was hoping that usb-c would make it easy, but from threads in the forum I gather that most of the usb-c chargers are for phones and very small devices and not ultrabooks?

feitingen
Paper Tape
Views: 2,568
Message 8 of 8

I think that one might work, but I've seen a lot of more powerful chargers and battery packs for Nintendo Switch, it also uses USB-C PD, same as my Yoga 910, 

According to USB-C spec, the laptop should accept any USB-C PD charger (even the tiny cell phone ones), but it might not provice enough power to charge while on.

So in theory, the power bank you posted will probably work as it provides 12V/3A which gives 36W.

My yoga 910 idles at 6-10W so it should charge.

To verify if that one will work, you can try a macbook USB-C charger on you yoga 910 and see if it charges, but the yoga seems to be compatible with most of them.

I seem to remember a review where the yoga would accept most chargers, but I can't seem to find it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors